HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Breaking, CNN: President...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed May 21, 2014, 03:37 PM

Breaking, CNN: President sending 80 U.S. troops to Chad to support search for Nigerian schoolgirls

Also reported by Reuters. Edit to add brief story from AP:

Obama: 80 US Troops in Chad Seeking Abducted Girls
WASHINGTON May 21, 2014 (AP)

President Barack Obama says the U.S. has deployed 80 military personnel to Chad to help located more than 200 girls kidnapped in Nigeria.

Obama has sent a letter to House Speaker John Boehner and to the Senate notifying lawmakers about the steps underway to assist in the return of the abducted girls.

Obama says the service members will help with intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft for missions over northern Nigeria. He says the force will stay in Chad until its support is no longer necessary. Chad shares a portion of its western border with northeastern Nigeria.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/obama-80-us-troops-chad-seeking-abducted-girls-23816007

32 replies, 1482 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 32 replies Author Time Post
Reply Breaking, CNN: President sending 80 U.S. troops to Chad to support search for Nigerian schoolgirls (Original post)
pinboy3niner May 2014 OP
SevenSixtyTwo May 2014 #1
yeoman6987 May 2014 #3
randome May 2014 #31
RoverSuswade May 2014 #6
bowens43 May 2014 #2
FSogol May 2014 #4
yeoman6987 May 2014 #5
Terra Alta May 2014 #7
Supersedeas May 2014 #26
randome May 2014 #30
awoke_in_2003 May 2014 #23
bigtree May 2014 #8
Rex May 2014 #11
Rex May 2014 #9
seveneyes May 2014 #10
jwirr May 2014 #12
pinboy3niner May 2014 #14
okaawhatever May 2014 #16
Donald Ian Rankin May 2014 #19
jwirr May 2014 #25
tanyev May 2014 #13
951-Riverside May 2014 #15
11 Bravo May 2014 #17
Cha May 2014 #18
Separation May 2014 #20
oneofthe99 May 2014 #28
Separation May 2014 #32
davidn3600 May 2014 #21
geek tragedy May 2014 #24
liberalhistorian May 2014 #22
oneofthe99 May 2014 #27
SoCalDem May 2014 #29

Response to pinboy3niner (Original post)

Wed May 21, 2014, 03:56 PM

1. Good deal President Obama!

Hope the girls are returned home safe and sound.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SevenSixtyTwo (Reply #1)

Wed May 21, 2014, 04:12 PM

3. I wish they wouldn't advertise

The girls apparently have already been put in groups and given to other areas of Africa and other countries. I can't imagine these places just handing over the girls. This could get ugly. The best way to save those girls IMHO is to do secret ops.

Reply to this post

Response to yeoman6987 (Reply #3)

Thu May 22, 2014, 11:13 AM

31. And maybe the best way to do that...

...is to put on a big show of troops on the ground and while everyone's attention is riveted on that, the special ops teams go to work. At least that sounds like good strategy to me.

You have to play the game to find out why you're playing the game. -Existenz

Reply to this post

Response to SevenSixtyTwo (Reply #1)

Wed May 21, 2014, 04:16 PM

6. But now he will be lambasted by Lush Rimbaugh

who will claim he is only doing it because the kidnapped girls are black.
(Contradicting himself because he said 3 weeks ago that the USA is doing nothing and Obama is a wuss).

Reply to this post

Wed May 21, 2014, 04:12 PM

2. we are the cops of the world.......

Reply to this post

Response to bowens43 (Reply #2)

Wed May 21, 2014, 04:13 PM

4. So, using some US forces to find some kidnapped girls is wrong?

Reply to this post

Wed May 21, 2014, 04:14 PM

5. Seems to be that way since World War II

Aren't you a little glad though? Some or all of the girls may be safe due to our assistance.

Reply to this post

Wed May 21, 2014, 04:19 PM

7. in this case, I am glad we are being the "cops"

anything to get these girls home.

Reply to this post

Response to Terra Alta (Reply #7)

Thu May 22, 2014, 10:44 AM

26. these girls today...and tomorrow...other crimes and other interests?

just so long as the boots on the ground in some foreign land make you or someone else 'glad'...

do you see the potential for a slippery slope...as if we haven't been sliding down that slope for some time now

Reply to this post

Response to Supersedeas (Reply #26)

Thu May 22, 2014, 11:11 AM

30. The 'slippery slope' is to sit around and do nothing out of timidity.

You have to play the game to find out why you're playing the game. -Existenz

Reply to this post

Wed May 21, 2014, 06:55 PM

23. I can't find fault with this use. nt

Reply to this post

Wed May 21, 2014, 04:30 PM

8. if this was Bush

. . . I'd look at this as a slippery slope. Hawks in the administration have been making noise about 'Muslim extremists' in Nigeria and have wanted more military involvement to address all of that.

This president, however, has demonstrated some restraint in escalating these military assistance deployments and sticking to the mission stated. We're not fully engaged in Yemen right now, for example.

I give him the benefit of belief on this and I wish these troops the best in helping Nigerians locate and rescue their children.

Reply to this post

Response to bigtree (Reply #8)

Wed May 21, 2014, 04:34 PM

11. Same here, if this was Dubya and Dick I would be looking for the hidden agenda.

Oil, weapons, drugs, money...ANYTHING BUT a mission based on purely good intentions. Thankfully this is NOT W, but Obama and I do trust him in these kind of affairs. He has shown huge restraint in using the military.

Reply to this post

Wed May 21, 2014, 04:32 PM

9. Good!

This is one mission I can totally get behind. Thank you sir for finally doing something!

Reply to this post

Wed May 21, 2014, 04:33 PM

10. Let us hope their hands are not tied

And they can use whatever means are best suited to get the job done.

Reply to this post

Wed May 21, 2014, 04:40 PM

12. Just one observation. After 9/11 I was upset because the military was used instead of law

enforcement. I hope that he at least sent a branch of the military that is investigative in nature. The only part of this that I see being a military concern is when they find the guy who kidnapped them in the first place. Apparently he is part of a militia and will probably use military force. Finding the girls is a law enforcement issue.

Reply to this post

Response to jwirr (Reply #12)

Wed May 21, 2014, 04:46 PM

14. Unlkely that the U.S. will do a unilateral military rescue mission

It's a lose-lose situation, as even a successful mission would likely result in some of the captives being killed.

Reply to this post

Wed May 21, 2014, 05:00 PM

16. The people being sent will be experts in tracking people, or whatever skill sets are needed. They

have already sent FBI agents who specialize in kidnappings, hostage negotiators, and psychologist-types to help with the families. The UK also sent some civil affairs types plus a few military who specialize in something related to the tracking. France may have helped locate them because they are moving some of their troops in Mali to the border areas of Chad/Cameroon/Nigeria.
Law enforcement folks aren't equipped or trained to handle on the ground stuff like this. Their experts were used when the hunt was in their wheelhouse, and I feel certain they will continue to direct the investigation.

Reply to this post

Wed May 21, 2014, 05:44 PM

19. I very much doubt that American law enforcement have many people with relevant skills.

In America, enforcing the law is mostly a matter of working out who did it, and of finding people hiding in cities.

Finding and confronting an armed militia hiding in thousands of miles of jungle is a very different proposition.

Reply to this post

Response to Donald Ian Rankin (Reply #19)

Wed May 21, 2014, 09:55 PM

25. Now that I understand. I was having fun with a group of Native Americans when the police drove

up with a warrant for one of the people there. Suddenly they were distracted by a couple of the group and the fellow in the warrant started running - straight into the woods. I looked back at the police to see if they were going to give chase. One of the officers just shock his head and said, "What for? He is already a half mile into the forest and he knows it far better than we do."

They understood what you are saying. It is almost impossible to find someone in their own back yard when you are not familiar with that yard.

Reply to this post

Wed May 21, 2014, 04:44 PM

13. GOP complaints about Obama not doing anything becoming complaints about him doing something in 3,2,1

Reply to this post

Wed May 21, 2014, 04:50 PM

15. Nigerian "media" gives Boko Bozos a heads up about Troop activity.

NIGERIAN MILITARY SIGHTS MISSING GIRLS IN BOKO HARAM CAMPS

The Special Forces from the Army's 7th Division said they have sighted three camps where boko haram has been hiding the missing girls in the North of Kukawa at the Western corridors of the Lake Chad.

“It has been a most difficult but heroic breakthrough,” one senior military official said in Abuja.

Another senior commander from the Army’s 7th Division, the special military formation created to deal with terrorism in the Northeast supported the claims made by the first commander that they have made a wonderful discovery .

This breakthrough has come at a very integral moment where the Nigerian military has been severely criticised over her inability to recover the abducted girls since their kidnapping a month ago.

https://plus.google.com/108996421211914867025/posts/14FnQMDQneA

A rescue mission is going to be difficult when you're dealing with people like this.

Reply to this post

Wed May 21, 2014, 05:20 PM

17. Someone tell FoxNews it's just been revealed that an 18 year old blonde white co-ed ...

was a part of the abducted group. They'll be on board in a heartbeat! Otherwise, this will only be portrayed as "because the girls are black", or as a "meaningless gesture", or as a "distraction from Benghazi ... or the IRS ... or Fast and Furious", or of whatever else they can pull out of their lying asses.

Reply to this post

Wed May 21, 2014, 05:41 PM

18. Thanks pinboy.. I'm glad they're going to get more help for finding our Girls.. and I wish

them all the best fortune in the world.

Reply to this post

Wed May 21, 2014, 05:52 PM

20. Off hand I can count on one hand where troops were warrented.

I may be missing some that I dont know about but since '75 (my entry into the world) I can think of only a few times that troops should have been used. Here is my list, most of them are due to some type of genocide going on.

Bosnia/Serbia Europe once again falling asleep and allowing genocide in their backyard.

Gulf War I (at least they were honest about it being about the oil) troops should have pulled out afterwards though.

Troops should have been deployed to Rwanda, not as peace keepers.

Afghanistan The way it was handled by Bush was idiotic. Bin Laden and most senior Taliban could have been crushed in the first two weeks. Hard to say when troops should have been pulled. To many tribal/sects for the "Freedom Fries" treatment.

And this current crisis

Reply to this post

Response to Separation (Reply #20)

Thu May 22, 2014, 10:53 AM

28. How would have they been crushed in the first few weeks in Afghanistan ?

The Taliban was entrenched with the civilian population

Reply to this post

Response to oneofthe99 (Reply #28)

Thu May 22, 2014, 03:59 PM

32. Tora Bora

There have been many books written about it. The US let the Afghan lead the assault, when US forces should have tkane the lead placed a blocking force and trapped damn near every Talib and possibly/probably Osama and his whole crew. That one mistake screwed up years in Afghanistan.

Reply to this post

Wed May 21, 2014, 06:00 PM

21. America! The world's policemen to the rescue!!!!!

Reply to this post

Response to davidn3600 (Reply #21)

Wed May 21, 2014, 06:58 PM

24. So you object? nt

Reply to this post

Wed May 21, 2014, 06:38 PM

22. So, did CNN then ask

why Obama hadn't yet sent any troops to the Indian Ocean to search for the missing Malaysian flight? Just askin'.

Reply to this post

Thu May 22, 2014, 10:50 AM

27. Once they rescue the girls I hope our President gives the order

to light up these camps

Reply to this post

Thu May 22, 2014, 11:07 AM

29. Those girls are probably long gone by now..and most of them pregnant

These types of groups are mobile.. Having to house & feed nearly 300 captives would be a big mistake for them.

Most likely, they were photographed as a group and then sold off to men who had the money to buy them.

Frequent unprotected sex often results in pregnancy with young fertile girls. They have been unprotected for long enough by now....and once they are pregnant, they are truly enslaved

It's downright fairy tale-ish to imagine that they are going to be rescued and returned to their families (many of the men in those families would ostracize them anyway)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread