HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Fourth-grade robotics tea...

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 09:40 AM

Fourth-grade robotics team told to go back to Mexico. Resistance sends them to World Championships

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/843811697437675520/fo7NEjUs?format=jpg&name=600x314

After two years of Donald Trump normalizing hatred of Hispanics, first as a candidate and then as president, harassment and demonization of people for their Latin heritage has become commonplace, and even children are not immune.

A team of fourth-graders called the Panther Bots stole the show in a robotics competition at Pleasant Run Elementary School in Indianapolis, winning a spot at the Vex IQ Robotics State Championship by demonstrating a machine made of LEGO bricks. The team consists of Elijah Goodwin, Angel Herrera-Sanchez, Jose Verastegui, Manuel Mendez, and Devilyn Bolyard. The students are all Hispanic or Black, aged nine and ten, and come from a Title I school in low-income part of town.

Parents and students started heckling the Panther Bots from the crowd as they took the lead in the competition. According to Herrera-Sanchez’s mother, one person yelled, “Oh my God, they are champions of the city all because they are Mexican.” Later in the parking lot, the Panther Bots were surrounded by angry throngs telling them to “Go back to Mexico!”

If the racist hecklers wanted to deny these minority kids a platform to show off their engineering talent, their plan failed spectacularly. Three weeks later the undeterred Panther Bots won a Create Award at the state competition and are heading to the Vex IQ World Championship in Louisville, KY.

http://shareblue.com/fourth-grade-robotics-team-told-to-go-back-to-mexico-resistance-sends-them-to-world-championships/#.WM_UfYUpgEk.twitter

2 replies, 297 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fourth-grade robotics team told to go back to Mexico. Resistance sends them to World Championships (Original post)
kpete Monday OP
WePurrsevere Monday #1
dem4decades Monday #2

Response to kpete (Original post)

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 09:51 AM

1. You have to be a special kind of bigoted...

bit of flotsam 'adult' to go after little kids like that.

I'm so very glad the kids were helped. They're incredibly talented and that should never be wasted.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to kpete (Original post)

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 09:53 AM

2. Parents heckling 4th graders despicable.

Yes they are deplorable, and sadly proud of it. The question is are there enough decent people left to take back the country.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread