HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Pentagon Papers whistlebl...

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 03:38 AM

Pentagon Papers whistleblower: Leaks 'can make a difference'

Source: The Hill

Pentagon Papers whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg suggested that the leaking of certain information might be justified in the Trump administration.

Following President Donald Trump’s recent statements threatening harsh penalties for those who leak privileged government information — including that leakers would “pay a big price” — Daniel Ellsberg encouraged further public disclosure of certain types of government secrets.

“I’m saying I want people to put out the truth as they see it, their version of the facts, as they see it, yes,” Ellsberg said to a crowd of around 200 during a public dialogue at Georgetown University. “There is a chance it can make a difference, and I think it will make a difference in various ways.”

Specifically, Ellsberg said government information should be released when it is crucial to the public interest and that of Congress, when lives depend on the information and when it reveals that the U.S. Constitution is being violated.

<snip>

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/320046-pentagon-papers-whistleblower-leaks-can-make-a-difference

2 replies, 590 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pentagon Papers whistleblower: Leaks 'can make a difference' (Original post)
bananas Feb 17 OP
Hekate Feb 17 #1
Hekate Feb 17 #2

Response to bananas (Original post)

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 04:07 AM

1. Ellsberg: a hero who stuck around and saw it through

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bananas (Original post)

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 11:39 AM

2. Kick for the morning crew

Reply to this post