HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Race & Ethnicity » African American (Group) » Why Tamron Hall Walked Aw...

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 12:43 PM

Why Tamron Hall Walked Away from Today: She Wasnt Going to Settle for Sitting on the Sidelines

Video: People.com

Last week, news broke that the ever-bubbly co-anchor was suddenly leaving NBC and the Today show just days after learning she’d be losing her 9 a.m. time slot because of the incoming former Fox News star Megyn Kelly, joining the show in September.

The fallout from the news left many shocked and disappointed, including top brass at the network. “We are disappointed that she has chosen to leave but we wish her all of the best,” NBC said in a joint statement with Hall, who added she was “excited about the next chapter.”

But in this week’s issue of PEOPLE, sources reveal what really went wrong, and why Hall, 46, an accomplished journalist who for a decade had worked her way up through the ranks at NBC, felt compelled to walk away from her dream job.

Only a couple weeks ago, things seemed to be going extremely well for Hall. On top of anchoring gigs at MSNBC Live and Dateline, she’d recently been enjoying added exposure at Today, filling in early mornings during host Savannah Guthrie’s maternity leave and hosting the 9 a.m. hour alongside Al Roker following Billy Bush’s abrupt departure in October amid the election scandal.

“Just a few days before all of this happened, she received an email congratulating the team for being number one,” a source close to Hall tells PEOPLE, noting that the pair had managed to outpace ABC’s long-running Live with Kelly in the key news demo for several weeks. “Then all of a sudden, it was like it vanished: Megyn Kelly is coming onboard, and who’s going to have to move? Tamron. That’s who.”

6 replies, 1215 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why Tamron Hall Walked Away from Today: She Wasnt Going to Settle for Sitting on the Sidelines (Original post)
Stellar Feb 17 OP
safeinOhio Feb 17 #1
samnsara Feb 17 #2
stonecutter357 Feb 17 #3
heaven05 Feb 17 #4
Eliot Rosewater Feb 17 #6
brush Feb 17 #5

Response to Stellar (Original post)

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 12:52 PM

1. I sure have been watching more

CNN lately.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 12:55 PM

2. why dont they get rid of greta?....

...I feel like I am watching Faux whenever I see her. Tamron deserves that spot!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 12:58 PM

3. OT , I love the wendy williams show.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 01:05 PM

4. can anything be more representative

of ameriKKKan media/cultural racial policies/politics than the photo of these two. Which one won/ which one lost...obvious.

Reply to this post

Response to heaven05 (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 03:07 PM

6. The media is now either compromised or considered to be fake news.

In a relatively short time Putin has managed to de-legitimize our entire structure of institutions.

All they needed to complete this was a willing GOP, willing to toss country overboard for power and money, which was the easy part.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 01:05 PM

5. She made the right move. Why should she have to vacate her spot for for Kelly, known for racist...

remarks made on the air on faux noise.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread