HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Republican tax scam r...

Thu Dec 21, 2017, 09:16 AM

The Republican tax scam reminds me of Al Franken's 2003 play, "The Waitress and the Lawyer."

The waitress says she likes Bush because "he cut my taxes a hundred percent." The lawyer explains that although the waitress only paid $365 in income taxes before, she'll pay much more after the tax cut because the government programs she now uses will be defunded: special education classes for her child with learning disabilities, after-school programs, subsidized housing, child care provided by Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, reduced eligibility in the SCHIP program (no more health care), cutting public transit funding and abandoning upgrading buses to cut down on toxic emissions ("Debbie does get asthma on bad smog days" ).

The lawyer says, "So, let's see. After-school -- $700. Medicaid -- $2,896. Housing -- $1,464. So, less your $365 tax cut, you're down $4,695." At least.

2 replies, 441 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Republican tax scam reminds me of Al Franken's 2003 play, "The Waitress and the Lawyer." (Original post)
betsuni Dec 2017 OP
tblue37 Dec 2017 #1
unblock Dec 2017 #2

Response to betsuni (Original post)

Thu Dec 21, 2017, 09:17 AM

1. K&R for visibility. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to betsuni (Original post)

Thu Dec 21, 2017, 09:30 AM

2. what's sick is there are plenty of people who actually understand that and are still fine with it!

my mother used to do estate planning, and she met quite a number of people who insisted on making sure the government got as little as possible.

she would explain, well, we can put your money in triple tax-free municipal bonds, but they pay next to nothing. the government won't get anything, but neither will you. wouldn't you rather invest in something that nets you and your heirs more money after taxes?

"no! i don't want the damn gubmint getting any of my money"

"even if that means leaving less for your children!"

"that's right! just so long as the gubmint doesn't get any!"

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread