HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Armed blind man killed by...

Wed Dec 27, 2017, 12:34 AM

Armed blind man killed by Yakima, WA, police

https://www.yakimaherald.com/news/crime_and_courts/blind-man-killed-after-confrontation-with-yakima-pd/article_004cfacc-ea54-11e7-9465-130f28e3aef2.html

When officers arrived, they found a 31-year-old man barricaded in his apartment. The man was blind and had an “extensive criminal history” of assault behavior, police said.

Over the next five hours, officers attempted to negotiated with the man and heard him talking as if someone else was inside the apartment, according to the release.

Once they obtained a search warrant, officers eventually "breached" the door to the apartment but continued to try to negotiate with the man, officers said.

“…after a few minutes the situation deteriorated and two officers fired shots at the suspect killing him,” according to the release. A firearm was found in the apartment, officers said.

Very sad situation.

3 replies, 784 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Armed blind man killed by Yakima, WA, police (Original post)
jmowreader Dec 2017 OP
Pachamama Dec 2017 #1
bermudat Dec 2017 #2
jmowreader Dec 2017 #3

Response to jmowreader (Original post)

Wed Dec 27, 2017, 02:54 AM

1. Why didn't they just shoot in tear gas to the house or something to incapacitate him?

Then if he came running out, shoot him with a tranquilizer like a wild animal...

It isn't as if he could see any of them....

I ask this by the way as a serious question....I really don't understand how this could have ended this way with him dead. There should have been other options to handle him and not just kill him.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jmowreader (Original post)

Wed Dec 27, 2017, 03:54 AM

2. Was he a person of color?

Reply to this post

Response to bermudat (Reply #2)

Wed Dec 27, 2017, 04:05 AM

3. The report doesn't say

The AP reports that this guy was armed with a gun, he was barricaded in his apartment and he had a long rap sheet, all violent crimes. (If I had to bet on his ethnicity, if he's not white he's probably Hispanic. Yakima is farm country.) The AP hasn't given us a lot of information here, but my best guess is he opened fire on the cops.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread