HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » People, we have a math pr...

Mon Feb 5, 2018, 10:32 AM

People, we have a math problem.

I am not an expert on economics but I do know how to add and subtract.

I know Trickle Down Economics does not work long term. They just cut taxes a lot. This will add to the national debt. One of the tools we use to fight off an economic downturn is tax cuts. If we have a downturn how can they cut taxes? What will they do instead? Decrease spending on government programs we depend on? Attack SS, medicare, medicaid?

When you subtract regulations, you add corruption.

When you add to the wealth divide, you subtract from the working people.

Tick, Tick, Tick.

2 replies, 1196 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply People, we have a math problem. (Original post)
shockey80 Feb 2018 OP
MFM008 Feb 2018 #1
modrepub Feb 2018 #2

Response to shockey80 (Original post)

Mon Feb 5, 2018, 11:58 AM

1. Dow 666

Is ticking today..... see if pumpkin head takes credit for the fall.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to shockey80 (Original post)

Mon Feb 5, 2018, 12:18 PM

2. Wealth Disparity

I don't know, I think we have more of a problem understanding how markets function and allowing a small class of individuals take all of the rewards (upper-upper management and mutual fund companies). I don't necessarily disagree with your analysis.

I think I read (Thomas Piketty) that much of the wealth distribution disparity is due to the differences in overall growth versus growth in capital; capital growth is mainly stock market growth. In general, most people tend not to directly hold stocks (not counting mutual funds since you don't technically own shares, your mutual fund company does). I can understand not wanting to loose money or get wiped out financially but making this decision (avoiding risk) means you remove yourself from the potential to earn greater than non market alternatives (bonds, savings accounts) and you remove yourself from expressing your opinions on how companies are run (through proxy votes; your mutual funds get to vote even though it was your money that bought the stock). I also take exception to mutual funds saying it's not safe to own a lot of one stock, especially in your own company. If that's so bad, then why do your company's CEO and board of directors get so much stock and theoretically get to approve of their own compensation package via their stock share's proxy votes?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread