HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Oh, The Humanity.......

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 04:53 PM

Oh, The Humanity.......

I just got a close up look at somebody actually going down in flames. On Sunday, the guy down the street became the Tonya Harding of small town politicians. I usually don't go on Facebook and certainly ignore the parade of right-wing propaganda my neighbors insist on posting. Sunday morning something different happened. This guy Rick Blood, who is on the Mendham Township Council, posted some drivel about why Trump is so popular that I didn't bother to read. But other people did, and it caused quite a stir. (keep in mind that this is Chris Christie's hometown-where he is still quite popular) This is about as republican a town as there is in NJ. Mr. Blood had actually lost the in the last municipal election to a Democrat. The first time a democrat has ever held local office in Mendham. (at least overtly). They appointed this loser to fill an unexpired seat when one of the other council members resigned. He lasted 6 weeks before self-immolating:

Mendham Official Resigns After Comparing Immigrants To Raccoons

Former Mendham Township deputy mayor Rick Blood resigned from the town committee Monday night following backlash to a Facebook post comparing immigrants to raccoons and Donald Trump to an exterminator.

Blood, a Republican, faced intense backlash after sharing a post Sunday morning which explained why people would support Trump by comparing Trump to an exterminator hired to rid a home of raccoons. He deleted the post later that night and issued an apology, saying his intention was "to illustrate, however poorly, one of the reasons our President was elected."

He apologized again at the Monday night meeting, calling the post "insensitive at best and cruel at worst," but said he did not want to resign. That changed following an executive session, where Blood tendered his resignation, effective at midnight Tuesday morning, the Daily Record reported.

The raccoon analogy post was a copy-and-paste that has been circulating among Republicans online since at least early 2016

https://patch.com/new-jersey/mendham-chester/mendham-official-resigns-after-comparing-immigrants-raccoons

Here is the idiot's Facebook post:

By Monday morning he had deleted the post and was giving his non-apology apology on Facebook. By Monday night, he was history on the local municipal council. By this morning, he had made NPR and the Washington Post. Talk about reaping the whirlwind. He actually thought that this was a way of fostering some kind of political discourse. I take back the Tonya Harding analogy. She was a victim of the incredibly stupid people surrounding her. This guy is just incredibly stupid in his own right. This is the kind of thing that will help flip two-maybe three-of NJ's Congressional districts from R to D.

These sheltered morons who live in a bubble think that everybody is in agreement with them and find it easy to dehumanize anybody who is different. It's amazing what happens when the real world comes calling.

7 replies, 767 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Oh, The Humanity....... (Original post)
Laxman Feb 2018 OP
Ohiogal Feb 2018 #1
Laxman Feb 2018 #3
KatyMan Feb 2018 #2
Laxman Feb 2018 #4
Dread Pirate Roberts Feb 2018 #5
Fred Sanders Feb 2018 #6
Laxman Feb 2018 #7

Response to Laxman (Original post)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 04:57 PM

1. You are so right

when you say

"These sheltered morons who live in a bubble think that everybody is in agreement with them and find it easy to dehumanize anybody who is different. It's amazing what happens when the real world comes calling."

I had no idea this was Christie's domain. I had posted an article from ThinkProgress about this yesterday and it didn't mention anything about Christie. But, it makes sense.

And, WHY would you post this shit on social media? So that you can announce to the world what a bigot and Neanderthal you are?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Ohiogal (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 05:03 PM

3. Another Positive Note.....

is that people came out of the woodwork to roast this guy. Nobody ever shows up at a local council meeting unless their road didn't get plowed in the last snowstorm. Monday night's meeting was packed. He was forced to resign. Plus, it showed that there are a lot more people who are appalled by this than support him. (don't get me wrong, there are enough locals who think of him as a martyr now)

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 05:01 PM

2. I like how a "deputy mayor"

posts that politicians suck. Isn't a deputy mayor a politician??

Reply to this post

Response to KatyMan (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 05:08 PM

4. It's Like Being The Recording Secretary.....

of the He-man Woman Hater's Club. It's a 5 person council and they pick one of their own to be the "mayor" for a year and one to be the "deputy mayor" for when the mayor goes on vacation. Small town stuff. But he clearly saw himself as some kind of political voice in the community. His voice was just a bit off key.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 05:20 PM

5. I see one of your neighbors gave him some sound advice!

Makes sense to me.

Rick: This is what happens when you live in a bubble. You probably don't think there is anything wrong with what you posted. That's the reason you doubled down when called out. What you need to realize is that The World is Flat. Mendham is a nice place, but it is not in a bubble. Maybe you should go to another town every once in awhile. How about coming down the hill to Morristown and meeting some immigrants? Maybe you should make some diverse friends who could let you know when you are acting like a moron. Maybe your Facebook page should be a bit more diverse. Then, when you post nonsense, reasonable people could check you. As it stands now, you look like an embarrassment.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 05:33 PM

6. Shitler has purposely unleashed a Rwanda level of hate. Is this America? Stop fucking around

and expose this monster, corporate media. You have your tax cuts, special dividends and stock price boosting stock buybacks.

What is stopping you?

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 05:37 PM

7. Here Is Some Video...

of last night's meeting. Some righteous anger....and an announcement of his resignation.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread