HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Gratuitous cruelty by Hom...

Sun Mar 4, 2018, 11:41 PM

Gratuitous cruelty by Homeland Security: Separating a 7-year-old from her mother (WP)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/gratuitous-cruelty-by-homeland-security-separating-a-7-year-old-from-her-mother/2018/03/04/98fae4f0-1bff-11e8-ae5a-16e60e4605f3_story.html
Gratuitous cruelty by Homeland Security: Separating a 7-year-old from her mother
By Editorial Board | March 4 at 7:11 PM

Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen in the White House on March 1. (Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images)

WHAT, EXACTLY, did a 7-year-old Congolese girl do to the United States to deserve the trauma that has been visited upon her — including forcible separation from her mother — by Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and her immigration agents?

There is no allegation that the little girl, known in court filings only as S.S., is a terrorist, nor is there any suggestion her mother is one. Neither was involved with smuggling, nor contraband, nor lawbreaking of any other variety. Rather, S.S.’s 39-year-old mother presented herself and her daughter to U.S. officials when they crossed the border from Mexico four months ago, explaining they had fled extreme violence in Congo, and requesting asylum.

A U.S. asylum officer interviewed Ms. L, as the mother is called in a lawsuit filed on her behalf by the American Civil Liberties Union, determined that she had a credible fear of harm if she were returned to Congo and stood a decent chance of ultimately being granted asylum. Despite that preliminary finding, officials decided that the right thing to do was to wrench S.S. from her mother, whereupon the mother “could hear her daughter in the next room frantically screaming that she wanted to remain with her mother,” the lawsuit states.

The Trump administration has said that it is considering separating parents from their children as a means of deterring other families, most of them Central American, from undertaking the perilous trip necessary to reach the United States and seek asylum. Now, without any formal announcement, that cruel practice, ruled out by previous administrations, has become increasingly common, immigrant advocacy groups say. In the nine months preceding February, government agents separated children from their parents 53 times, according to data compiled by the Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service.

12 replies, 2160 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gratuitous cruelty by Homeland Security: Separating a 7-year-old from her mother (WP) (Original post)
dalton99a Mar 2018 OP
GitRDun Mar 2018 #1
Control-Z Mar 2018 #2
JI7 Mar 2018 #4
BadgerMom Mar 2018 #7
calimary Mar 2018 #8
pazzyanne Mar 2018 #10
Control-Z Mar 2018 #11
JI7 Mar 2018 #3
onecaliberal Mar 2018 #5
Angry Dragon Mar 2018 #6
calimary Mar 2018 #9
Angry Dragon Mar 2018 #12

Response to dalton99a (Original post)

Sun Mar 4, 2018, 11:51 PM

1. Trump Mainstreaming

Cruelty, hate, intolerance, absolute indifference to the suffering of others.

How on earth did we elect that guy?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Mar 4, 2018, 11:52 PM

2. Could I hate him more?

Well, yes. Today I hate him more than yesterday. I'm not shocked. It is expected. I just keep hoping that a day will come when he does something heartfelt and good for someone other than himself and his deplorables.

Each day is new, right?

Reply to this post

Response to Control-Z (Reply #2)

Sun Mar 4, 2018, 11:55 PM

4. not just him but the rest of the trash that supports him are just as bad

Reply to this post

Response to JI7 (Reply #4)

Mon Mar 5, 2018, 01:45 AM

7. Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell

Enablers. Traitors. Cowards.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 5, 2018, 02:01 AM

8. Indeed. I keep getting yanked back on that one: "So what does that say about THEM?"

Can't help it. That's my new default position whenever trump's supporters come up in conversation. They ARE deplorables. And too damn bad if they don't like it! If they don't like that, then they should stop BEING that.

Reply to this post

Response to calimary (Reply #8)

Mon Mar 5, 2018, 02:26 AM

10. Unfortunately, they enjoy the nickname.

My RWNJ sister used the "Proud to be a Deplorable" slogan as her Facebook profile pictures during 2016. Needless to say, we don't see each other much these days. This is not the person I knew when she was growing up. Too much exposure to tRump causes brain damage.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 5, 2018, 02:30 AM

11. That has always been one of the worst things about

his supposed win, at least for me. I believe the election was stolen but would not have been had there not been all those people of unbelievably shitty character who actually did vote for him. Not to mention, the people who helped steal it in all the other known (and unknown) ways.

That so many of these people actually do exist frightens the crap out of me.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 4, 2018, 11:55 PM

3. white supremacists

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 5, 2018, 12:21 AM

5. I could not hate the fucking republicans more.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 5, 2018, 12:40 AM

6. Trump has proven he can not go anywhere without his children

TRUMP makes me sick

Reply to this post

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #6)

Mon Mar 5, 2018, 02:03 AM

9. Can we simply deport that whole shitty con-artist family?

Reply to this post

Response to calimary (Reply #9)

Mon Mar 5, 2018, 11:09 AM

12. I do not have a problem with that

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread