HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Bolton

Thu Mar 22, 2018, 11:37 PM

Bolton

“They're somewhat like the lowest of forms of plant and animal life. Even at their highest point of vitality there is not much life in them. On the other hand, they don't die.”

Eugene J. McCarthy, on the nature of the republican party.

John Bolton is, of course, a form of fungus that grows in the darkness of ethical decay within the party that Democratic Senator Eugene McCarthy – a candidate in the 1968 presidential primary – spoke of in the above quote. As a rabid neoconservative who played an important role in promoting the Bush-Cheney military invasion and occupation of Iraq, there is no good reason for him to play any role in government today. In fact, there are numerous good reasons that he should not.

In case anyone has forgotten the details of exactly why Bolton is a terrible human being, I thought I'd review a bit of information to remind us. I'll briefly mention some of the criminals and crimes he is associated with, using David Corn and Michael Isikoff's 2006 book, “Hubris: The Inside Story of Spin, Scandal, and the Selling of the Iraq War” (Crown Publishers).

Bolton was a big supporter of Laurie Mylroie, an “expert” on terrorism who makes Alex Jones look calm and stable. Her theories included that Saddam was behind the Oklahoma City bombing, and 9/11 (pages 66 – 76). He was one of the authors of the Project for a New American Century (pg 78). He was behind the horrible “intelligence” operation, tasking jackasses like David Wurmser to find “proof” of Iraq's role in 9/11 for VP Cheney (pg 111). He trusted and promoted sociopaths like Chalabi and “Curveball” (pg 163). And he was connected by the roots with Judith Miller, turning orange in Aspen in the fall (pg 390).

During the 2016 presidential campaign, of course, Donald Trump spoke about his opposition to the Bush-Cheney invasion of Iraq. The majority of people knew he was lying. But his alt-right supporters ate it up, because their hatred of neoconservatives blinded them to the fact that Trump was serving them a plate of shit. It is unlikely that the appointment of Bolton will phase them.

“Andrea:'Unhappy is the land that breeds no hero.'
Galileo: No, Andrea. 'Unhappy is the land that needs a hero.'

Bertolt Brecht, “Galileo.”

After finishing Corn and Isikoff's new book, “Russian Roulette,” I am confident that Mr. Mueller has enough information to indict numerous more criminals from within the Trump campaign and administration, including Trump himself. I understand why he and his team are advancing at the rate they are. But I wish that the process would kick into the highest gear now. And I know that almost everyone here and around the world feel the same.

There is no evidence that the current republican Congress – the House of Representatives and Senate – has the inclination or ability to say “No!” to Trump. Thus, we do not have the luxury of sitting back, and waiting for Mr. Mueller. We need to be active participants in our constitutional democracy. That includes working to elect Democrats this fall. And it also includes exercising those rights defined in Amendment 1.

11 replies, 1672 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bolton (Original post)
H2O Man Mar 2018 OP
H2O Man Mar 2018 #1
spanone Mar 2018 #2
H2O Man Mar 2018 #6
spanone Mar 2018 #9
herding cats Mar 2018 #3
Bernardo de La Paz Mar 2018 #5
H2O Man Mar 2018 #7
cilla4progress Mar 2018 #4
H2O Man Mar 2018 #8
oasis Mar 2018 #10
H2O Man Mar 2018 #11

Response to H2O Man (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2018, 11:38 PM

1. More this weekend.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Mar 22, 2018, 11:45 PM

2. I have never seen times like these... Is there an end goal to this insanity?

The enemy of the republican state appears to be law and order.

Reply to this post

Response to spanone (Reply #2)

Fri Mar 23, 2018, 09:22 AM

6. It's crazy.

It really wasn't that long ago, that my generation didn't trust the FBI.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=arlo+guthrie++the+fbi++youtube&view=detail&mid=CC83A36A4D9A52AE43C3CC83A36A4D9A52AE43C3&FORM=VIRE

How things change.

Reply to this post

Response to H2O Man (Reply #6)

Fri Mar 23, 2018, 09:32 AM

9. I remember that well....

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2018, 11:47 PM

3. Bolton is the worst of the worst neoconservatives.

He's a true warmonger of the highest power and a serious danger to everyone globally.

I've not been this deeply concerned since the election was called for Trump. This is my worst fears from that night being brought to fruition.

I look forward to your post this weekend.

If anyone here would be so kind as to PM it to me, I'd deeply appreciate it. I'll be exercising my First Amendment rights and might miss it otherwise.

Reply to this post

Response to herding cats (Reply #3)

Fri Mar 23, 2018, 02:42 AM

5. Even significant portion of CONservatives feel the same way. . . . nt

Reply to this post

Response to herding cats (Reply #3)

Fri Mar 23, 2018, 09:23 AM

7. I will definitely

let you know when I post my next essay!

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2018, 11:48 PM

4. See you at

the March this weekend!

Reply to this post

Response to cilla4progress (Reply #4)

Fri Mar 23, 2018, 09:24 AM

8. Very good!

I'll be tempted to make a speech at the local march/rally.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 23, 2018, 10:14 AM

10. "John Bolton is the right guy at the right time" Sen. Lindsay Graham.

Graham's showing his true colors again. Both warmongering nut jobs are dangerous.

Reply to this post

Response to oasis (Reply #10)

Fri Mar 23, 2018, 10:23 AM

11. Unreal.

Wrong guy, at any time.

Graham is pathetic.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread