HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I wish the crack epidemic...

Sun May 13, 2018, 06:41 PM

I wish the crack epidemic had received the same attention, concern, and empathy as the opioid crisis

and not been treated as a moral problem that needed to be criminalized.

If so, we might not even have an opioid problem today, since we would have put into place mindsets. processes, and infrastructures to address this kind of drug problem.

20 replies, 1080 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply I wish the crack epidemic had received the same attention, concern, and empathy as the opioid crisis (Original post)
EffieBlack May 2018 OP
unblock May 2018 #1
JustABozoOnThisBus May 2018 #10
unblock May 2018 #11
Igel May 2018 #2
Ferrets are Cool May 2018 #3
Fresh_Start May 2018 #4
EffieBlack May 2018 #6
IluvPitties May 2018 #14
WhiskeyGrinder May 2018 #5
DonCoquixote May 2018 #7
NCTraveler May 2018 #8
Hekate May 2018 #9
Blue_Tires May 2018 #12
MotorCityMan May 2018 #13
Tavarious Jackson May 2018 #17
malaise May 2018 #15
Tavarious Jackson May 2018 #16
IronLionZion May 2018 #18
BumRushDaShow May 2018 #19
smirkymonkey May 2018 #20

Response to EffieBlack (Original post)

Sun May 13, 2018, 06:51 PM

1. oddly enough, there was a cocaine epidemic at the same time.

but for some reason that i couldn't possibly fathom, that was celebrated in song and film.

it was associated in pop culture as a part of the life of wealthy socialites.

studio 54 and all that.

now what could that reason be?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to unblock (Reply #1)

Mon May 14, 2018, 03:38 PM

10. Did cocaine cause the level of death that heroin/opiod/fentanil causes?

I don't think cocaine usage caused the scale of death that opiods cause.

Reply to this post

Response to JustABozoOnThisBus (Reply #10)

Mon May 14, 2018, 04:41 PM

11. i wasn't making that comparison; i was noting the different media treatment of crack vs. cocaine

Reply to this post

Sun May 13, 2018, 06:57 PM

2. 35 years later.

The drug problem prior to the '80s was treated in the same way that it was in the '80s.

In fact, a lot of opioid users are still treated criminals.

Took longer, too, because there was no epidemic of violence to go along with it and because it was located primarily in "fly-over country".

Also missing the paranoia that went with the crack epidemic. "Crack babies" was a thing, a way of provoking sympathy and marketing aggressive interventionist behaviors by authorities and activists already concerned about that particular population; "opioid babies," not so much on any of those above counts.

Reply to this post

Sun May 13, 2018, 07:02 PM

3. I'm 100% positive you know the reason for that. nt

Reply to this post

Mon May 14, 2018, 08:48 AM

4. I couldn't agree more

I will probably say this poorly but my intention is good

Many of the problems which white america is experrience now, were problems in black america more than a decade ago.

But it was easier for white americans to blame the problem on minorities rather than to try to understand that it was a failure of our society and would continue to spread. The minorities were the most vulnerable so of course the problems showed up there.

Reply to this post

Response to Fresh_Start (Reply #4)

Mon May 14, 2018, 09:12 AM

6. I think you said it very well

Very astute observation.

Whenever minorities point to systemic problems, we’re brushed off with calls for personal responsibility. But when the problem seeps into the white community, it suddenly becomes a societal concern that the entire society must gather together, marshal resources and combat on a concerted level.

Reply to this post

Response to EffieBlack (Reply #6)

Mon May 14, 2018, 04:56 PM

14. Bravo!

Reply to this post

Mon May 14, 2018, 08:50 AM

5. K&R.

Reply to this post

Mon May 14, 2018, 03:22 PM

7. whether it is aids, drugs or whatever new problem

It will never be a problem until suburban white people start suffering.

Reply to this post

Mon May 14, 2018, 03:32 PM

8. This one is pretty simple.

There are a lot of articles out there about how the crack epidemic was "dealt with" and how it has brought about other epidemics today.

There is a historical trend to oppression that shows white leaders are willing to accept collateral damage among their own, to an extent, if it keeps the power structure in place. What is also bad about this is that their white pawns have become the Republican base because they are the easiest group to manufacture hate within.

Reply to this post

Mon May 14, 2018, 03:33 PM

9. Don't we all

Reply to this post

Mon May 14, 2018, 04:45 PM

12. The crack epidemic *DID* get the same amount of attention

the only problem was it was all BAD attention and the "solutions" of the day were more jails, more money for cops, more cutting-edge military toys for cops to play with, and MUCH longer sentences for dealers AND users...

Reply to this post

Mon May 14, 2018, 04:53 PM

13. I wish the AIDS epidemic had received the same attention, concern, and empathy as the opioid crisis

Reagan will always be one of the worst presidents for me as he did nothing about the AIDS epidemic when it could have done some good and saved a lot of people. In fact, I recall some of his people actually joking about it. It wasn't until Rock Hudson died in 1985 that he even mentioned it.

Reply to this post

Response to MotorCityMan (Reply #13)

Mon May 14, 2018, 05:01 PM

17. Evil black drug addicts and Evil gay people.

That is why they didn't care. Opioids are hitting white girls.

Reply to this post

Mon May 14, 2018, 04:58 PM

15. Here's the problem with your wish

Someone provided that crack and others passed laws to lock up people for crack.

It was deliberate.

Reply to this post

Mon May 14, 2018, 05:00 PM

16. Crack, Aids, and even Heroin

No one cared until it hit suburban white girls in particular...

Reply to this post

Mon May 14, 2018, 05:25 PM

18. If you talk to rural Trumpsters, they still blame minorities for the opioid crisis

and they just know immigrants are smuggling heroin into the whitest parts of rural America without being caught because brown immigrants are so stealthy like that.

As long we're wishing for unicorns, I wish people born and raised in the United States would be considered American even if we have brown skin. I would love to see that in my lifetime so I'll be optimistic. Meanwhile I'll continue to steal jobs away from idiots who don't know the difference. (Nevertheless, I persisted)

But if we would like to downgrade that unicorn to a pony or even something more manageable like a nice dog with an optimistic future: I wish any epidemic (from today onward) that disproportionately ruins the lives of any demographic in America will receive the same attention, concern, and empathy as if it affected upper middle class suburban whites of either gender.

Reply to this post

Mon May 14, 2018, 05:26 PM

19. Don't forget a different "hidden in plain site" drug that immediately pre-dated the current opioids

and that was meth.

And this resulted in major reformulations of regular OTC cold medicines in order to battle the "meth labs" by removing the key ingredients used to manufacture the illicit versions. And it also resulted in monthly quantity restrictions for those who do have legitimate need for the medicines (i.e., those with ingredients such as pseudoephedrine, etc), requiring them to be "behind the counter" and with state monitoring of pharmacy customers buying them.

This is what brought heroin back into vogue.

If anything, ignoring the meth epidemic in the suburbs and rural areas by making it harder to make it (vs treating those who used it), essentially drove those same people into the arms of the old-but-repackaged-and-made-new-again opioids.

So it took 2 crises impacting mainly whites, before they finally decided to look at treatments (because they surely weren't locking them up in private prisons at the rate that POC got locked up for crack). But as you note, sadly POC never had that benefit of treatment in the '80s and '90s, although there is concern now that POC may get more heavily exposed to and addicted to this latest stuff (after far too many died of heroin ODs in the '60s & '70s as it is), so maybe if that does happen, the treatment policies will finally be available for them too.

Reply to this post

Mon May 14, 2018, 06:23 PM

20. K&R

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread