HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Until 2015, Sanders "had ...

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 10:01 PM

Until 2015, Sanders "had no idea" that so many blacks are held in jail for months and years

because they canít make bail.

A previous thread quoting Soledad OíBrienís Twitter response to this comment devolved into arguments about whether OíBrienís comment was accurate, which completely detracted from the bottom line - Bernieís admitted lack of awareness of a serious and fundamental concern among African Americans and others.

So, Iím reposting excerpts from the source to focus on what Bernie said and to eliminate the opportunity for deflection and subterfuge.

IN JULY 2015, Black Lives Matter activists bravely interrupted a town hall with Sanders at a liberal political event, demanding that he center structural racism in his message. The following month, Black Lives Matter activists in Seattle again interrupted a speech from Sanders ó demanding that he center the struggle for black lives in his campaign ... A few weeks later, in the wake of those two moments, Sanders met privately with another group of black activists to discuss criminal justice reforms. I spoke directly with many of the attendees that day, including DeRay Mckesson, and was told that the meeting didnít go well Ė that attendees sensed very little emotional connection from Sanders and that some wondered if he truly even wanted to be there.

So, three years later, to be willing to co-host a public event in front of over 4,000 people, alongside six radical women of color, without ever asking what they would be talking about or knowing if they would plan on calling him out publicly yet again, was a pretty big deal.

Backstage, I met privately with Sanders, and was immediately struck by his vastly improved mastery of core issues around criminal justice reform. But it wasnít just his newfound fluency on these issues that surprised me ó it was his emotion.

ďItís disgusting, Shaun, that our country is basically criminalizing poverty. Iíll be honest with you. I really didnít know this was happening. I had no idea hundreds of thousands of Americans, particularly African-Americans, were being held in jail, for months or years, even though theyíve never been convicted of a crime, simply because they canít afford bail,Ē Sanders told me in a tiny dressing room backstage before the event.

ďIíve learned a lot,Ē he continued. ďI see the racial disparities clearer than ever. I want to help Ė just tell me how I can best help and weíll do it.Ē I was touched. He wasnít reading from a script. He was admitting to me, as he soon would from the stage, in front of thousands of people, that he hasnít always gotten this quite right.

https://theintercept.com/2018/06/14/bernie-sanders-criminal-justice-reform/

10 replies, 899 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to EffieBlack (Original post)

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 10:03 PM

1. golly I could figure that out back in 1968. what too him so long? nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to msongs (Reply #1)

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 10:18 PM

2. Apparently he earned his chops in 1963 that time he got arrested, so he didn't need to learn or do

anything else after that ...

Reply to this post

Response to EffieBlack (Reply #2)

Response to Name removed (Reply #8)

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 11:47 PM

9. Welcome to DU

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 10:21 PM

3. I suppose I should be surprised, but...

... well, I'll just leave it at that, for obvious reasons.

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 10:25 PM

4. Is he going to learn about women's issues next? Or keep assuming it's all about vaginas?

Reply to this post

Response to bettyellen (Reply #4)

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 10:46 PM

5. K & R a million He was 30 fking yrs old when he wrote that with such pride in his deep thoughts

Not a college aged kid stepping out in the world.

I stand by your posting bettyellen

Reply to this post

Response to Wwcd (Reply #5)

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 11:06 PM

7. Yeah, I noticed his theories about women, their health and sex were naive and self serving...

With a big dollop of woo on top. Not impressed w someone who talks about economic equality and doesnít know or care that women w babies are the largest group living below the poverty line. He conveniently fails to talk about that- and Iím pretty sure itís because he knows Joe WWC is too angry and resentful of us women and POC and this not caring has been quite deliberate.

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 10:59 PM

6. Its hard to believe that any well informed person was not aware of this issue.

It has been well documented and discussed for many years.

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 11:51 PM

10. Sounds like the author is very impressed with Sanders

Lots of compliments

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread