HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Pavlovitz: White People, ...

Sat Jun 16, 2018, 01:09 PM

Pavlovitz: White People, This Anthem Thing is Really Simple

A couple of years ago, Colin Kaepernick took a knee during the National Anthem to leverage his platform and visibility and turn our collective attention toward the injustices people of color experience as a daily occurrence here in this country. Other players followed; some kneeling, others sitting down or locking arms or raising a fist in the air.

They silently, respectfully, stoically made an appeal to our shared compassion on behalf of people who do not have a voice.
This should have been enough ... We should have told these players that we hear them and that we are as grieved about the premature deaths of young black men as they are.
Trump did what he’s done all the way through the campaign, election, and his Presidency: he exploited easily manipulated, angry white people looking for someone to ratify their prejudice and consent to their enmity. He purposefully used his position of power to try and steamroll people of color asking to be treated equally, into silence—and in the process, he and his supporters proved exactly why these athletes were kneeling to begin with.

This predatory President, spineless NFL owners, and complicit white fans treating players like expendable animals—all conspired to made Colin Kaepernick’s point for him.
You can pretend this is about when and how these athletes are protesting—or just admit that it’s the fact that they’re protesting at all that really offends you, and you wish they’d stop inconveniencing you with truth that you’d rather not deal with.

This is about what it’s always been about: us choosing to defend white privilege or black lives.

https://johnpavlovitz.com/2018/06/06/white-people-this-anthem-thing-is-really-simple/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=johnpavlovitz

10 replies, 3200 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pavlovitz: White People, This Anthem Thing is Really Simple (Original post)
EffieBlack Jun 2018 OP
WhiteTara Jun 2018 #1
mcar Jun 2018 #2
sheshe2 Jun 2018 #3
Tom Rinaldo Jun 2018 #4
yonder Jun 2018 #5
Scarsdale Jun 2018 #6
KPN Jun 2018 #9
pintobean Jun 2018 #10
forgotmylogin Jun 2018 #7
dameatball Jun 2018 #8

Response to EffieBlack (Original post)

Sat Jun 16, 2018, 01:19 PM

1. which was why those 2 white guys taking a knee in front of Trump

should have been that signal that black lives matter, but it was completely ignored by the media.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jun 16, 2018, 01:53 PM

2. K&R

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 16, 2018, 02:12 PM

3. A very sad kick and recommend.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 16, 2018, 02:35 PM

4. Brown vs Bd. of Education 1954, Civil Right Act 1964, Voting Rights Act 1965. Over half century ago

I was a little young to appreciate the significance of the Court ruling against school segregation (I was 5), but by the time of the Civil Rights Act I understood: Racism is fucking evil, a stain on the soul of humanity. By the time I was in college a few years later I was naive enough to believe that it would be our generation, young whites and blacks standing together, that would virtually eradicate at least conscious racism in America within my lifetime, or at the very least do so outside of the South, much like Smallpox was eradicated, and Polio virtually so.

I have never been so wrong about anything remotely as important. It is an utter moral travesty, a full 64 years after Brown vs the Board of Education, that racism continues to spring up like noxious weeds everywhere in this country, and that it is knowingly embraced at the highest level of our government.

Silently taking a knee, over that, radical? Disrespectful ??!?? How many fucking centuries can a people be expected to put up with an unfulfilled promise of justice and equality? And when they do symbolically AND respectfully protest, showing reverence for the promise America made, they get disparaged? THEY are our true patriots.

Those of us who are white need to up our game in the fight against racism. We all know some racists personally: they are family, they are neighbors, they are coworkers and sometimes friends. Sure it can be awkward at best to confront racism in those we know. Yes it may also fracture relationships beyond repair. But silence is not an option. Voting for progressives is not enough. Racism will not just wither away as Marx once claimed the State would, but didn't, under communism.

I apologize to those of generations younger than my own that we could not get this done. We did not do enough. Bless all those still out there trying.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 16, 2018, 02:37 PM

5. When simplicity is thrown towards their altar of spin, no matter the subject,

you get their usual conflation, complications and eventual contradictions. Do the Democrats do this? Not to this degree, in my view. An example is this recent interview of Don Lemon getting Steve Cortes to begin sputtering when pressed to answer the generic simple question:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/06/16/family-separation-mexico-border-panel-sot-ctn.cnn

Don Lemon was great with his calm, focused manner.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 16, 2018, 02:41 PM

6. Colin lost the career he loves,

making a great living at what he does best. Meanwhile, the orange asshole in the WH, along with his useless "kids" are stealing from children's charities, and making lots of money. What the HELL is wrong here? I loathe the way tRump has actually made people think the athletes are disrespecting the flag and the troops. Totally untrue.

Reply to this post

Response to Scarsdale (Reply #6)

Sat Jun 16, 2018, 04:05 PM

9. You described the reality of the situation perfectly.

It makes me so angry. As I read your post I had a simultaneous fantasy occurring in my head wherein Trump was being executed by firing squad in front of his older children and his closest stooges as their last stop before being locked away for decades.

These people need to be treated with total intolerance for the damage they’ve done and the evil they’ve unleashed. We can’t put toothpaste back in the tube, but we can damn sure send a clear message that will ensure this never happens again. I’m not sure what punishment will be sufficient, but we damn sure better make sure it is. We need to squelch any thought of retribution for taking this criminal family and their thugs who enable them down.

Reply to this post

Response to Scarsdale (Reply #6)

Sun Jun 17, 2018, 02:28 PM

10. Kaepernick quit his job

when he opted out of his contract with the 49ers to become a free agent after the 2016 season. He seriously overestimated his value.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 16, 2018, 02:54 PM

7. The fact that taking a knee caused such furor validates the practice.

Like with nearly everything, if Trump had kept his fat mouth shut and let it blow over we still wouldn't be hearing so much about it today.

He made the protest more successful.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 16, 2018, 03:15 PM

8. This is exactly what led to me not socializing with my in-laws.

No matter how hard I tried to explain the real reason for the kneeling, they refused to accept it. They were completely closed to it being anything other than lack of patriotism and not honoring the flag. I'm talking raised voices and way too close body proximity......completely ridiculous. I just avoid them now and I am pretty sure they are returning the favor....

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread