HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Janus v. American Federat...

Fri Jul 6, 2018, 11:11 AM

Janus v. American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees.

One of my most vivid memories in a campaign is the day the union canvassers cameto join our group in a local, Los Angeles campaign. The volunteers seemed to tower over me. They were enthusiastic. They brought speed and energy to the campaign that was inspiring.

We need to watch what happens to funding and campaign support for Democrats now that a lot of union money will be gone. The union members will still be with us and active, but unless Democrats focus on the problems of working people, the rights of working people, we will have a much tougher time in elections.

How do you think we should deal with the new reality after that Supreme Court decision?

. . . .

In the 5-to-4 decision on Wednesday, the (Supreme) court’s majority ruled that requiring nonmembers to make union payments violated their First Amendment rights, since much of what unions do could be considered political activity at odds with their beliefs.

. . . .

A newly formed political action committee called End Citizens United, named for the Supreme Court decision that opened the door to more corporate money in elections, raised about $25 million, largely from small donors, during the 2016 campaign, and is on pace to exceed that amount this election cycle. Most of its spending supports House and Senate Democratic candidates favoring campaign-finance reform.

. . . .

In 2016, the four major public-sector unions gave nearly 15 percent of the $17 million raised by the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee, which funds state legislative races nationwide. But the group is optimistic that any loss of union revenue can be offset by what it calls the “people power” of union members and other voters.

. . . .

Activists and party operatives said union cash would be more difficult to replace in other areas. Mr. Wikler said MoveOn’s monthly donor base had quadrupled since Mr. Trump was elected, allowing it to increase support for groups working on immigrants’ rights, workers’ rights and racial-justice causes.

. . . .

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/01/business/economy/unions-funding-political.html?ribbon-ad-idx=2&rref=business/economy&module=Ribbon&version=context®ion=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Economy&pgtype=article

Any ideas? Or do you think this decision won't change the Democratic Party much?

I think if Democrats respond by changing our focus a bit more toward increasing opportunity for all and changing the laws that govern the workplace as well as job training and education, we can still stay relevant to working people.

What do you think? I may or may not respond to you. I would like to see what you think.

0 replies, 515 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread