HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Reading Judt's 'Postwar' ...

Mon Sep 24, 2018, 02:22 PM

Reading Judt's 'Postwar' -- the Russians are doing to us what the Russians have always done.

Manipulating elections for fun and profit since 1917 because of deep national feelings of insecurity and powerlessness. Stalin really upped the game, though, stuffing ballot boxes and smearing or murdering political opponents without compunction. In Eastern Europe of the late 40's the classic technique was to co-opt the weak right-wing party while splitting the moderate left using infiltration, propaganda, and assassination. Judt's book sets forth powerful history that screams at me from the page.

For instance: the anti-Communist Foreign Minister of Czechoslovakia 'jumped out a window' in 1948 -- sound familiar?

On 10 March 1948 Masaryk was found dead, dressed only in his pajamas, in the courtyard of the Foreign Ministry (the Černín Palace in Prague) below his bathroom window. The Ministry of the Interior claimed that he had committed suicide by jumping out of the window, but it was at the time, and is still, widely assumed that he was murdered on behest of the nascent Communist government. Others in the country put it thus: "Jan Masaryk was a very tidy man. He was such a tidy man that when he jumped he shut the window after himself."

I don't wish to be unnecessarily bigoted about this; but since the GOP continues to do Putin's bidding on a daily basis to the destruction of all I hold dear as an American patriot, fuck that.

Russia's a spider. A weak, insecure, mean, stupid spider that always defeats itself in the end. But for the moment -- they are effectively running this country, and it is horrifying to watch actual Americans act as if Russia's sinister sneak attack is a good thing.

I look forward to the Reset, and the Reckoning.

9 replies, 536 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to byronius (Original post)

Mon Sep 24, 2018, 02:33 PM

1. They're absolutely not 'running the country.' That's the kind of inflationary alarmism Putin loves.

Time to clean his sycophantic, corrupt assets out of BOTH governments, that's for damn sure.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to FreepFryer (Reply #1)

Mon Sep 24, 2018, 03:08 PM

2. I appreciate your take. However --

They are running the Presidency and both houses of Congress. Every single action Trump and the GOP have taken seems clearly designed to be the Worst Possible Thing for the U.S.

To be sure, the pushback is enough to defray most of their schemes. But I don't think it's inflationary; this is the most dangerous moment in human history thus far, their power is far from fading, and the U.S. is widely seen by the international community as MIA.

It all worked better than the Russians ever dreamed -- who could have known that destroying public education and polarizing media would pay such benefits to our enemies?

Uh, me.

Reply to this post

Response to byronius (Reply #2)

Mon Sep 24, 2018, 03:15 PM

3. They're not running either. They have completely disproportionate and dangerous influence -

But exaggerations and fearmongering embolden our enemies and certainly won't help us defend our country (as your lack of any comment thereto seem to assume we cannot).

Reply to this post

Response to FreepFryer (Reply #3)

Mon Sep 24, 2018, 03:28 PM

4. Yes, but.

Trump is purposefully destabilizing the world to favor Putin's interests -- this is not fearmongering, this is flat truth.

The GOP is covering for all of it because they were swept up in kompromat using a SuperPac managed by Felix Sater and Paul Manafort to funnel Russian cash to unknowing congressmen -- all of whom are now compromised and functioning as assets. That's the way it's always worked for the KGB, and it's working perfectly at this very moment.

I don't think our enemies could be 'emboldened' by my post -- and I don't think they're going to win. I've read similar arguments that say discussing electronic election fraud can be misconstrued as 'discouraging', but I would counter that it's more critical to be alert to the problem than it is to falsely encourage feelings of security. Democracy is tough and dangerous and messy. People have to speak up if they think they have a case.

I have a clear case. However, at no time and in no sense do I think we are defenseless. In fact, I would point to the general American personality as historically ungovernable in the way that that Putin desires as evidence that I do not think it can happen here as it did in Eastern Europe. In fact, I think he's made an existential error on behalf of his bumbling nation.

I'm not exaggerating -- just paying attention. They've done this sort of thing for a HUNDRED YEARS. It needs to stop, and so we shall stop it dead in its tracks.

Reply to this post

Response to byronius (Reply #4)

Mon Sep 24, 2018, 03:32 PM

5. Trump is not Russia. we MUST talk about this fraud/invasion, but not by being intellectually lazy...

...or despairing. Russia is not some omnipotent-and-omniscient foe, and we are not omniscient-but-impotent observers.

If you KNOW what you say to be true, act on that knowledge to save your country.

Reply to this post

Response to FreepFryer (Reply #5)

Mon Sep 24, 2018, 04:09 PM

7. Jeez, and here I thought I was being intellectually quite stout by reading 'Postwar'.

Nor have I uttered a despairing word. I, like George Patton, have become a fan of nationalizing Moscow for their own good, that's all.

I get that my post has disturbed you somehow, but I must object to your characterizations of my intent.

Judt's book is mesmerizing and way too enlightening. Everyone should read it, it's brilliant. And Stalin's machinations struck me as far too relevant to remain silent over.

I act everyday to save my country. Every goddamned day. They will never succeed, and they will regret their actions. But to defray and deny that Putin is currently driving this -- zombie nation we have become -- that is to me the height of intellectual laziness, laziness driven by suppressed panic.

And it serves Them, only them.

Reply to this post

Response to byronius (Reply #7)

Mon Sep 24, 2018, 04:17 PM

8. You said Russia was 'running' the country, and the Congress. That's simply untrue, and unhelpful.

Nothing more to it than that, but you seem immune to reflecting on the fatalism and inaccuracy of your original post.

Reply to this post

Response to FreepFryer (Reply #8)

Mon Sep 24, 2018, 04:25 PM

9. Hmmm.

Fine, fine. I don't have the time to post the billion fucking news stories from fifty sources that say you're the one being innaccurate. Yes, by all means, let's downplay their role. That'll help our morale.

Again, the fatalism you charge me with is in your own mind. I say again, and for the last time, they don't have a chance of succeeding.

If you really don't think at this point that Vladimir Putin is directing Donald Trump and at least half the GOP on a weekly basis, then you are entitled to your opinion. But quit slinging the f-word at me. There's not the slightest bit of fatalism in either me or my post.

Reply to this post

Response to byronius (Original post)

Mon Sep 24, 2018, 03:37 PM

6. Russia is just taking advantage of the "unique situation" we have in the US

We really have a large enough segment in this country that has been conditioned to if they had to vote between a serial rapist white supremacist who has absolutely no government experience and is, I don't know, inbred with no eyelids and has vowed to kill all the Jews and Muslims vs a dedicated public servant with years of experience in government as well as serving the community outside of government, no corruption, clean record, etc. but is a LIBERAL!!! DEMOCRAT!!! You already know who they're going to choose.

The problem is we see Russia and it certainly had a hand in it, and it certainly benefits from it, it is not the only actor involved in what is going on.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread