Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

Stare Decisis

(229 posts)
Fri Oct 5, 2018, 12:32 PM Oct 2018

Why the Manchin Vote Gives Me hope

The best of all worlds as far as Manchin might be concerned, is to tell WV he voted yes on cloture only to have the main vote never happen. Had he voted no, he would stick as no, and then he thinks, but he is wrong, that it would hurt his chances. However, for Murkowski to flip, foreshawdowing Collins, he likely knows that the vote either won't happen, or will come down to him, in which case he has bipartisan cover to vote no as well.

Watch between the lines here. Elaina Plott, who has a bit more to learn about how the game is played, says Joe never switched a vote in order to not have the John Kerry problem.

He isn't planning on having to vote. At any rate, with Daines away, and Murkowski a no, the Reps have only 49 and the Dems, with Manchin have 50. He isn't going to flip this to Kavanaugh single-handedly. This gives the Reps time to looby Trump to pull the nomination after Collins' speech.

The most likely scenario is that there will be no vote, and Kavanaugh's nomination is pulled tonight.

6 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Why the Manchin Vote Gives Me hope (Original Post) Stare Decisis Oct 2018 OP
I thought I saw that Daines changed his flight so he can vote the end of American Democracy pangaia Oct 2018 #1
that's a valid scenario bigtree Oct 2018 #2
I believe Turtle does not have the votes hours before the rushed Sunday vote. Fred Sanders Oct 2018 #3
Daines is offering to come back (as of 2 hours ago). rainin Oct 2018 #4
Not if he gets drunk - LOL Iliyah Oct 2018 #5
Would love it to be true! Power 2 the People Oct 2018 #6

pangaia

(24,324 posts)
1. I thought I saw that Daines changed his flight so he can vote the end of American Democracy
Fri Oct 5, 2018, 12:37 PM
Oct 2018

and the completion of a coup by a fascist, theocratic police state.

Fred Sanders

(23,946 posts)
3. I believe Turtle does not have the votes hours before the rushed Sunday vote.
Fri Oct 5, 2018, 12:38 PM
Oct 2018

Why?

No math required...turning to the conspiracy theory of a vast left wing collusion headed by George Soros is about as desperate as I have seen...and we have seen a lot!

Now the entire party is leading a conspiracy theory charge on a grand scale!

Not sure all Republican Senators are on board with that level of insanity and political suicide!

p.s Daines is back Sunday.

rainin

(3,022 posts)
4. Daines is offering to come back (as of 2 hours ago).
Fri Oct 5, 2018, 12:40 PM
Oct 2018

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just cast my vote for Judge Kavanaugh getting him one step closer onto <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SCOTUS?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SCOTUS</a>. We spoke last night, and I assured him, I will be back to vote YES this weekend if needed. Looking forward to calling Judge Kavanaugh, Justice Kavanaugh. <a href="https://t.co/KzfdX2HIMc">pic.twitter.com/KzfdX2HIMc</a></p>— Steve Daines (@SteveDaines) <a href="

?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 5, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Latest Discussions»General Discussion»Why the Manchin Vote Give...