Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

Stare Decisis

(229 posts)
Sat Oct 6, 2018, 10:46 AM Oct 2018

My Letter to Joe Manchin If Someone Here Could Send It To Him-

Senator Manchin,

I was born a Democrat. I will never change. No it isn't always easy. Being a Democrat is something like never being invited to a party unless we are designated drivers. We must always be the adults in the room. It is who we are. We are the ones that collect the keys, that check breath, that make sure our fellow party goers, even if they never ever tell us thank you, get home safely. We for some reason have within our DNA a sense of personal responsibility for others. I carry this burden of adulting with pride. I know that it is what we do that allow others to party, so to speak.

I also understand you are in a state where progress comes glacially. Full of good people, West Virginia is not prone to capricious shifts or rapid growth. And I know you truly want to win re-election. But in every statesperson's life comes a time of choosing, to lead, or to be led. This is a seminal moment in our nation's history, Senator. Right now our sisters, equal in partnership and opportunity to further the progress of our country, feel violated. They feel marginalized. They are hurting.

When you say things like Dr. Christine Blasey Ford was assaulted by somebody, you parrot the talking points of monsters who have trivialized the pain of women time immemorial. No Senator. I do not believe Dr. Ford is in any way confused. And honestly, I do not believe you are confused. I believe you are scared. I believe you are scared to hold to party values in a Republican state. But I think you should consider that every time you bow to such internal fear you do nothing but deepen it's hue of red.

You see this is that time of choosing, of understanding that what is at stake is a line in the sand, a declaration of independence, a message, clear and unmistakable that women matter, they have always mattered, and we men, particular men of power are sorry for not doing more. I am under no illusion that a change to your vote will alter this process. It might well undermine your re-election chances. You may accomplish nothing tangible except for this-by reclaiming your vote, by standing true to what a Democrat is, you will make the Republicans own this. You will leave history no room for doubt as to what side was good and what side was evil.

You will hold to our standard that only way to stand on the right side of history is to have the courage to risk the wrong side of the present. You will be a hero, more than that, you will be morally justified in such reversal. With your vote we will have told the electorate that THIS is your choice. Us or them. You will make clear as a Democrat that we stand united in the defense of women, that we have learned from past mistakes and that with your vote a mother's past trauma will not have to be reciprocated in her daughters. What is at stake, Senator, is the intangible yet indispensable concept of moral authority. We have it. They don't.

Stand with us Senator. Be what you have always been. Be bold, be proud.

Be a Democrat.

-T

11 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
My Letter to Joe Manchin If Someone Here Could Send It To Him- (Original Post) Stare Decisis Oct 2018 OP
Excellent comments, except Manchin never said Ford was "confused" Jersey Devil Oct 2018 #1
I belive the comment was Autumn Oct 2018 #5
Thanks - first time I have seen those comments Jersey Devil Oct 2018 #7
He said it melman Oct 2018 #8
Yeah, see that now, thanks (nt) Jersey Devil Oct 2018 #9
Something happened to Dr. Ford,""I don't believe the facts show it was Brett Kavanaugh. Autumn Oct 2018 #10
you're right - apologies (nt) Jersey Devil Oct 2018 #11
"If someone here could get it to him?" What does that mean? Squinch Oct 2018 #2
Quote Stare Decisis Oct 2018 #3
Why can't you send it to him yourself? scheming daemons Oct 2018 #4
If Manchin were to receive your well-penned letter... ADX Oct 2018 #6

Jersey Devil

(9,976 posts)
1. Excellent comments, except Manchin never said Ford was "confused"
Sat Oct 6, 2018, 10:52 AM
Oct 2018

Someone in Women's March tweeted that he said that, but no where in his written statements or in his recorded comments did he make such a statement.

I agree that Manchin should have shown the courage of Heidi Heitkamp and voted "no", but I do not think he should be villified for statements he never made.

Autumn

(45,363 posts)
5. I belive the comment was
Sat Oct 6, 2018, 11:12 AM
Oct 2018
Something happened to Dr. Ford," Manchin said, but quickly added the caveat, "I don't believe the facts show it was Brett Kavanaugh.

Sounds to me he thinks she was confused or he thinks she was lying. I think the Women's March gave him the benefit and of the doubt and used the word confused.

Jersey Devil

(9,976 posts)
7. Thanks - first time I have seen those comments
Sat Oct 6, 2018, 11:28 AM
Oct 2018

If he in fact said that then I would have to agree with you. The remarks I had previously read here on DU scolded him for "insulting" Ford by saying she was "confused". I looked everywhere and could not find such a comment by Manchin.

Autumn

(45,363 posts)
10. Something happened to Dr. Ford,""I don't believe the facts show it was Brett Kavanaugh.
Sat Oct 6, 2018, 11:55 AM
Oct 2018

That's insulting enough. There were no facts given by BK for him to believe it wasn't him.

Stare Decisis

(229 posts)
3. Quote
Sat Oct 6, 2018, 11:00 AM
Oct 2018

"I believe Dr. Ford. Something happened to Dr. Ford," Manchin said, but quickly added the caveat, "I don't believe the facts show it was Brett Kavanaugh."

I did not quote confused. However the intimation is clear. I post without reservation.

Get it to him means this is a site that staffers read. The odds of it reaching Manchin from here are higher than an overflowing email box.

ADX

(1,622 posts)
6. If Manchin were to receive your well-penned letter...
Sat Oct 6, 2018, 11:18 AM
Oct 2018

...do you really, truly think he would give even the slightest fuck? He's a DINO who only cares about keeping his gravy train a-rollin'...

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»My Letter to Joe Manchin ...