HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Why did the police group ...

Sat Oct 6, 2018, 07:23 PM

Why did the police group herd the protesters from the Supreme Court steps?

Isn't that "our" public space? Or is protesting now banned under "Bart" K.? Get ready. The right to protest is also now gone.

4 replies, 898 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why did the police group herd the protesters from the Supreme Court steps? (Original post)
Kajun Gal Oct 2018 OP
mahatmakanejeeves Oct 2018 #1
aeromanKC Oct 2018 #2
PoliticAverse Oct 2018 #3
Post removed Oct 2018 #4

Response to Kajun Gal (Original post)

Sat Oct 6, 2018, 07:27 PM

1. You can demonstrate on the sidewalk on First Street NE in front of the

Supreme Court, but you can't demonstrate on the grounds of the Supreme Court. This includes the steps and the plaza.

This has been the case for years and years. This is not something new. I've got the pictures to prove it.

I walked over there a few hours after the decision in Obergefell was handed down. (I was at work when the decision was handed down. The people who pay me to "work" are peculiar like that, in that they expect to me to be at my desk during working hours.)

The sidewalk was still jammed with pro and anti contingents. The steps and the plaza were devoid of protesters.

The visiting middle and high school tour groups certainly got their money's worth. They got to see democracy in action that day.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Oct 6, 2018, 07:31 PM

2. Feels like Germany Circa 1930's already

And it's just beginning.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 6, 2018, 07:48 PM

3. Since 2013 the "building and grounds" have specifically been off-limits to protestors...

From: https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/buildingregulations.aspx

This regulation is issued under the authority of 40 U.S.C. § 6102 to protect the Supreme Court building and grounds, and persons and property thereon, and to maintain suitable order and decorum within the Supreme Court building and grounds. Any person who fails to comply with this regulation may be subject to a fine and/or imprisonment pursuant to 40 U.S.C. § 6137. This regulation does not apply on the perimeter sidewalks on the Supreme Court grounds. The Supreme Court may also make exceptions to this regulation for activities related to its official functions.

No person shall engage in a demonstration within the Supreme Court building and grounds. The term “demonstration” includes demonstrations, picketing, speechmaking, marching, holding vigils or religious services and all other like forms of conduct that involve the communication or expression of views or grievances, engaged in by one or more persons, the conduct of which is reasonably likely to draw a crowd or onlookers. The term does not include casual use by visitors or tourists that is not reasonably likely to attract a crowd or onlookers.
Approved and Effective June 13, 2013

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread