HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » North Carolina - no flipp...

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 09:32 AM

North Carolina - no flipped House seats, but

we broke the Repubs veto proof majority in the state legislature and defeated two state constitutional amendments that would have taken power over the courts from the governor (a Dem) and given it to the legislature, which was going to pack the courts with Repubs if they had passed.

Also, related, we won a Supreme Court seat knocking out an incumbent R that makes the NC Supremes 5-2 Dem and guarantees a Dem majority on the court through at least 2022, extremely important for reapportionment cases since NC has been ordered by the federal courts to reapportion and will have to do so again after the 2020 census. Right now although our electorate is about evenly split between dems and Reps, our congressional delegation is 10-3 Repub due to gerrymandering. The NC supreme court with a Dem majority is crucial to get that straightened out.

20 replies, 1428 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Jersey Devil (Original post)

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 09:33 AM

1. Great news

NC has been a hot mess for a long time now.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 09:36 AM

2. It's certainly something positive to build on.

Reply to this post

Response to oasis (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 09:39 AM

3. Hoping to have a new congressional map in place for 2020

If that happens we should be able to flip at least 2-3 House seat in the next round.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 10:42 AM

4. Unfortunately, a Constitutional Amendment to require voter ID also passed.

But at least we had some good news.

I moved from predominately blue Orange County to mostly blue Wake County last March. I was very happy to see Dems winning school board seats and County Commissioner seats in Wake County. It also looks like the Sheriff is going to be a switch from a Repub incumbent to a Dem.

I'll take the wins where we can get them.

Until we get the Republican gerrymandered Congressional districts redrawn, we are stuck with a lopsided number of Repubs in what is basically a purple state.

Step by step.

Reply to this post

Response to mnhtnbb (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 10:48 AM

5. yep, I am learning about NC

Moved here to Wayne County a little over 2 years ago from NJ. Funny thing is, in NJ I was in a red, very gerrymandered congressional district that flipped to blue right after I moved to NC. My NC congressional rep was a Dem (Butterfield), but in the election of 2016, my first in NC, my district in NC (Goldsboro) was changed through gerrymandering to a Repub, Rouzer. I can't win! The district I moved from moved from red to blue and the one I moved into moved from blue to red! I must be a jinx.

Reply to this post

Response to Jersey Devil (Reply #5)

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 10:55 AM

8. I hear you! I grew up in Chatham, NJ

but left there many, many years ago when my dad retired to California in 1965.

When I moved to Nebraska in 1994, the Governor was a Dem and both Senators were Dems. Look what happened! Not long after that, the state turned as red as the football field in Lincoln on a fall Saturday and has stayed that way since.

I moved to blue NC in 2000 and look what the damn Republicans did here after 2010!

If you're a jnix, I must be one, too!

Even though I was very discouraged by FL, TX and GA (where I think the voter suppression changed the outcome of the Governor's race), there were encouraging signs elsewhere across the country. Our time will come here in NC. The pendulum is slowly swinging back.

Reply to this post

Response to mnhtnbb (Reply #8)

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 10:58 AM

13. from Dumont NJ, Bergen County

NJ-05, formerly represented by wingnut Scott Garrett and now, after I moved of course, by Dem Josh Gottheimer.

Reply to this post

Response to Jersey Devil (Reply #13)

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 11:01 AM

14. Practically neighbors!

Even though I was just entering high school when we left NJ, I remember Chatham as being fairly conservative. My parents were life long Republicans.

Reply to this post

Response to mnhtnbb (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 10:51 AM

6. Yeah, not to mention the tax cap amendment passed.

That being said, the super majority is gone and Cooper can veto the crazies. The legislature also failed in their power grab amendments.

Reply to this post

Response to SaschaHM (Reply #6)

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 10:57 AM

10. I couldn't believe that tax cap amendment passed. A lot of very stupid people voted against

their own best interest on that one.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 10:52 AM

7. All politics is local...

Sounds like you guys kind of focused on state races that would try to pry the Repubs hands off the levers of power.

Sounds like you made some progress. Hopefully, you can alleviate the gerrymandering a bit before 2020. Penn flipped 5 seats, and most of that was the re-districting. They had a similar situation to you guys with the split population but heavy Repub representation in the state house.

Congrats on your progress and good luck going forward.

Reply to this post

Response to Wounded Bear (Reply #7)

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 10:56 AM

9. yep, that's why I am so excited about the Supreme Court

Since NC is under fed court order to reapportion, eventually whatever is done will go before the NC Supreme Court. PA supremes, after PA Repubs refused to enact a fair reapportionment, did it for them in the courts and SCOTUS affirmed that by refusing to take the appeal from PA Repubs. I am hoping the same thing happens here.

Reply to this post

Response to Jersey Devil (Reply #9)

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 10:58 AM

12. Best of luck...

that should be a priority.

Reply to this post

Response to Wounded Bear (Reply #7)

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 01:42 PM

15. NC had no major statewide races this election.

No president, governor, or senator on the ballot. We hoped to flip some congressional seats, but the districts are so gerrymandered, that was always a long shot.

What we did have were some bad amendments (some passed due to lying misrepresenting language, but some important ones were defeated) and we cut away at the Republican majority in the state legislature.

Reply to this post

Response to yardwork (Reply #15)

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 06:41 PM

19. Yup, NC is heavily gerrymandered.

Democrats got 47% of the Congressional votes state-wide but got 23% of the seats.

Though it doesn't help that Walter Jones in District 2 ran unopposed. It may have been a "lost cause" but there should at least have been some paper opposition to him; Republicans didn't offer any Democrats that favor (i.e. Republicans contested all 13 districts).

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 10:57 AM

11. PA went from 13R, 5D to 9R, 9D simply by drawing

a fair congressional district map as ordered by the state supreme court. I expect that's what will happen in NC as well.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 01:45 PM

16. Good news. I've posted your link...

... in two other posts, one about NDRC results and one about gerrymandering.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 02:32 PM

17. Good news. Thanks for sharing the inside news.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 03:19 PM

18. Way to go NC Democrats! I'm a Virginian, and I appreciate the progress you've made.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2018, 06:44 PM

20. Very, very disappointed that Harris won.

Crap.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread