HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Saw the movie "Vice". Spo...

Wed Dec 26, 2018, 02:03 PM

Saw the movie "Vice". Spoiler Alert. Dick Cheney is a raging asshole.

A brilliant, yet very depressing movie about Vice President Dick Cheney. Now, don't go looking for total accuracy. This is fiction based on history. Think Oliver Stone and Michael Moore worked together on a film. Director Adam McKay has made a career satirizing the false masculinity of the Bush era from Anchorman to Talladega Nights to Eastbound & Down to The Big Short and now Vice. and yes, Christian Bale is astounding. At times, you completely forget that it's him.

But what's truly depressing about this movie is that for all of the evil that was Cheney and all that he did, what we have now in the White House is an order of magnitude far worse than Cheney.

14 replies, 1260 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Saw the movie "Vice". Spoiler Alert. Dick Cheney is a raging asshole. (Original post)
Yavin4 Dec 2018 OP
Girard442 Dec 2018 #1
Pacifist Patriot Dec 2018 #2
Eliot Rosewater Dec 2018 #3
Yavin4 Dec 2018 #4
TSheehan Dec 2018 #7
underpants Dec 2018 #10
TSheehan Dec 2018 #12
MFM008 Dec 2018 #8
ProfessorGAC Dec 2018 #13
TSheehan Dec 2018 #5
Eliot Rosewater Dec 2018 #6
Paladin Dec 2018 #9
dlk Dec 2018 #11
haele Dec 2018 #14

Response to Yavin4 (Original post)

Wed Dec 26, 2018, 02:06 PM

1. Reminds me of a comment a blogger made about "The Big Short."

He said the good news is that they were quite successful in telling the story within the limitations of the movie format. He said that the bad news is now he's pissed off all over again.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Girard442 (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 26, 2018, 02:06 PM

2. Sums up my experience of "The Big Short."

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2018, 02:09 PM

3. Have not seen it yet, and my take on Cheney is a bit different than most here.

But that isnt important right now, what is important is you are right, as bad as Cheney is and was, compared to our situation now he would not just be better but would save our country.

He would save it for rich people to get richer at the expense of all of us, but he would not literally sell it to Putin, Turkey and the Saudis.

What people in America still dont understand is if Putin or SA or whoever said to rump:

"If you nuke Iran and kill 4 million men, women and children, we will guarantee you Mueller wont get to you and you will make a profit doing it"

He would do it without hesitation, without thinking. And he would be dumbfounded how you could imagine he wouldnt.

Cheney would not do that.

Reply to this post

Response to Eliot Rosewater (Reply #3)

Wed Dec 26, 2018, 02:14 PM

4. Gun to my head, if I had to choose Cheney over Trump. I would pick Cheney.

Only because Trump is completely unstable. Cheney is evil, but he's stable.

Reply to this post

Response to Yavin4 (Reply #4)

Wed Dec 26, 2018, 02:27 PM

7. If there were no Bush-Cheney, there'd no Trump. And Cheney's evil was competent.

Letís not lose sight of that just because the present (Republican) President is so fuckinh shit.

In many ways Trump is an unprecedented danger, but almost every individual thing about his Presidency or even parts of his personality has some precedent in the Bush-Cheney, Reagan-Bush, Nixon-Agnew-Wallace eras - or indeed, that of Newt Gingrichís Contract on America House caucus, or all of the far-right media outlets that have cultivated anti-intellectual, irrational, and bigoted Republican Outrage Politics (TM) ie. FOX, talk radio, Murdochís tabloids, and so forth. And then there are the overt white supremacists...

Trump has assimilated all the above tendencies into his own particular BRAND (emphasis) of politics. All of this plus the Russian shit and other brazen instances of corruption and criminality - not to mention, consistently shamelessly lying, cruelty, and contempt for democracy, all of which have long histories among the political Right - pretty much sum up Trump.

Reply to this post

Response to TSheehan (Reply #7)

Wed Dec 26, 2018, 02:45 PM

10. Great post. A must read.

Reply to this post

Response to underpants (Reply #10)

Thu Dec 27, 2018, 12:14 PM

12. Thanks. I'll make it an OP.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2018, 02:28 PM

8. Yes

Greedy evil genius
But a total by the gop book sort.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2018, 12:23 PM

13. On That Point, Yav

Cheney was a bad man, but he wasn't bad and irretrievably stupid.

Now we have the twofer in the White House!

Reply to this post

Response to Eliot Rosewater (Reply #3)

Wed Dec 26, 2018, 02:14 PM

5. Cheney wanted to attack Iran regardless.

Reply to this post

Response to TSheehan (Reply #5)

Wed Dec 26, 2018, 02:17 PM

6. Not the same thing, big differences.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2018, 02:41 PM

9. Remember the days when we thought Cheney was the worst executive officer ever?

I can't bring myself to say that trump makes Cheney look good by comparison. But trump does make Cheney more acceptable, in retrospect; same for GW Bush and even Nixon. At least those other guys gave some evidence of functioning intellects, an ability and willingness to learn, and some passing acquaintance with mental stability. I just pray to God that we're never burdened with a leader that makes us nostalgic for a scumbag like trump.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2018, 02:46 PM

11. Who Knew?

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2018, 12:37 PM

14. Met Cheney in person in the '80's. Spoiler Alert. Dick Cheney is a raging asshole.

His sense of entitlement was overwhelming even then, and drove his awareness of what was going on around him. He honestly thought he was the smartest guy, the best leader in any room he walked into, and everyone else was just there for him to use and discard.

Haele

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread