Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

Stare Decisis

(229 posts)
Sun Jan 6, 2019, 12:37 AM Jan 2019

I Think I Know A Check Mate To End The Shutdown

The Government and Military Employee Credit Protection Act. Immediately introduce legislation guaranteeing credit score protections for missed bills due to inability to get paid while working (similar to student loan repayment protections) and make the Senate stop it or Trump veto it.

Once the Republican Party is faced with this choice, end the shutdown or cosign the destruction of military family finances-ballgame.

Dunzo. Ovah. Because if they don't end it, THEN go on to allow permanent financial damage, a key base of theirs is gone forever.

Pass it on. It is time to put a stop to this mess.

9 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
I Think I Know A Check Mate To End The Shutdown (Original Post) Stare Decisis Jan 2019 OP
Can't imagine anything like that passing PoindexterOglethorpe Jan 2019 #1
That's the point? Get McConnell on-record not bringing it up for vote, get Rs on record voting nay.. DRoseDARs Jan 2019 #3
So let the people know who is really hurting them lunatica Jan 2019 #4
good idea KT2000 Jan 2019 #2
Especially when they run for re-election. lunatica Jan 2019 #6
DOD is not part of the shutdoun bottomofthehill Jan 2019 #5
With the exception of the Coast Guard. Which should be considered part of the military. nt littlemissmartypants Jan 2019 #7
It is in time of war bottomofthehill Jan 2019 #8
Understood. nt littlemissmartypants Jan 2019 #9

DRoseDARs

(6,810 posts)
3. That's the point? Get McConnell on-record not bringing it up for vote, get Rs on record voting nay..
Sun Jan 6, 2019, 03:28 AM
Jan 2019

...get Trump to try to veto it if it got to him, or at least tweet something stupid about it that pisses military families right the fuck off.

Give them the gun to blow their own heads off with.

lunatica

(53,410 posts)
4. So let the people know who is really hurting them
Sun Jan 6, 2019, 03:31 AM
Jan 2019

It’s the way politics works. Like a game of chess. Even if you’re losing the entire game can change with one move.

It ain’t over till it’s over.

KT2000

(20,679 posts)
2. good idea
Sun Jan 6, 2019, 01:47 AM
Jan 2019

the House could pass it and send it to the Senate and they will have to explain why they won't put it up for a vote.

lunatica

(53,410 posts)
6. Especially when they run for re-election.
Sun Jan 6, 2019, 03:34 AM
Jan 2019

Believe me they’re all thinking about that now. Politicians are always thinking about re-elections. That’s why so many have become corrupt.

bottomofthehill

(8,496 posts)
5. DOD is not part of the shutdoun
Sun Jan 6, 2019, 03:31 AM
Jan 2019

The US a military is fully funded. The republicans in the senate and the president don’t care about the federal workforce. Their base is happy to see government workers give unpaid

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»I Think I Know A Check Ma...