HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Government employees are ...

Sat Jan 12, 2019, 04:36 PM

Government employees are often smeared as lazy grifters suckling taxpayers' teats

Last edited Sat Jan 12, 2019, 05:23 PM - Edit history (2)

enjoying good salaries, solid benefits and durable pensions while providing little value in return.

So it's a little jarring to see them now characterized here as passive sheep, willing to continue working without pay and lacking the backbone to stand up, tell the federal government (and all the people whom they serve) to "take this job and shove it," and walk away ...

These people aren't sloths or sheep or slaves. They are hard-working Americans who help make our system work and our lives better and who have been placed in a terrible position and are now suffering through no fault of their own. We owe it to them to support them - not slander or second-guess them.

9 replies, 656 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Government employees are often smeared as lazy grifters suckling taxpayers' teats (Original post)
EffieBlack Jan 2019 OP
The Velveteen Ocelot Jan 2019 #1
EffieBlack Jan 2019 #6
Beartracks Jan 2019 #8
Beartracks Jan 2019 #2
EffieBlack Jan 2019 #4
Beartracks Jan 2019 #9
Wellstone ruled Jan 2019 #3
50 Shades Of Blue Jan 2019 #5
Paladin Jan 2019 #7

Response to EffieBlack (Original post)

Sat Jan 12, 2019, 04:44 PM

1. The lazy grifter canard is the conventional right-wing insult, while

the cowardly sheep thing seems to be coming from... elsewhere, and I'm disappointed to see it here. I have worked for a couple of government agencies (state, not federal), and I and my co-workers were just as diligent as the private-sector employees I've also worked with. In my private sector work I've dealt with federal employees (FAA) and while one of them was kind of a jerk personally, none were lazy bureaucrats by any stretch of the imagination, and except for that one guy they were all pleasant and reasonable to deal with. The fact that you work for the government doesn't mean you work less hard, that your work is less valuable, or that you're a sheep because you aren't walking off the job. (Which, by the way, would constitute an illegal wildcat strike; most federal employees are not allowed to strike. Just ask the PATCO folks how that worked out.)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to The Velveteen Ocelot (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 12, 2019, 05:22 PM

6. Before the shutdown, some folks here said it was just a paid vacation so why were they complaining?

Now they're being told they're cowardly patsies for not engaging in an illegal strike. And, of course, the right wing is still saying the "who needs them anyway?"

These folks deserve better, especially from us.

Reply to this post

Response to The Velveteen Ocelot (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 12, 2019, 06:05 PM

8. And Fed worker income flows into the economy just like anybody else's. n/t

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2019, 04:48 PM

2. I think you meant AREN'T sloths or sheep or slaves.

Reply to this post

Response to Beartracks (Reply #2)

Sat Jan 12, 2019, 05:18 PM

4. Yes! Thanks!

Reply to this post

Response to EffieBlack (Reply #4)

Sat Jan 12, 2019, 06:08 PM

9. Np!

========

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2019, 04:57 PM

3. For those of us who lived in Minnesota

years ago,remember Arnie Carlson savaging the Highway Workers in the same manner and it worked. The sucker won the Governorship with that tactic. And the Minnesota Highway Department has been a wreck ever since.

Thousands of Jobs not being filled.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2019, 05:20 PM

5. Thank you! I'm a retired Federal employee who experienced a few layoffs

and the attitude you describe makes me wonder if I wandered into a DU parody.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2019, 05:25 PM

7. Everybody enjoy the next plane flight you take, the next head of lettuce you buy.

Let's see how these government-hating douchebags enjoy life without a full component of air traffic controllers, or minus a crew of knowledgeable, committed FDA food inspectors. If tragedy strikes, I hope the government-haters are the first ones impacted.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread