Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

Stare Decisis

(229 posts)
Thu Jan 17, 2019, 01:44 PM Jan 2019

Ok. Why Not Franken 2020?

If he was unfairly pressured to leave, and there is nothing to suggest truth to the accusations, and if Gillibrand really did cosign a Roger Stone hit job, why not ask him to run?

Have it out. Actually, who would be a better President of the named candidates? Please discuss while I get my popcorn.

16 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Ok. Why Not Franken 2020? (Original Post) Stare Decisis Jan 2019 OP
"Please discuss while I get my popcorn." WeekiWater Jan 2019 #1
I would love to see him throw his hat in the ring. Autumn Jan 2019 #2
Frankin/Warren. My dream team. nt leftyladyfrommo Jan 2019 #3
If only. enough Jan 2019 #5
or bdamomma Jan 2019 #8
No I mean for real. Stare Decisis Jan 2019 #4
I'd love it. hlthe2b Jan 2019 #6
Good work, and Welcome to DU. maxsolomon Jan 2019 #7
... LexVegas Jan 2019 #9
Gets better. WeekiWater Jan 2019 #13
I think Franken is a good politician and public servant. I don't see him as President, yet. Caliman73 Jan 2019 #10
Would make the debates interesting aeromanKC Jan 2019 #11
Franken 2020 greblach Jan 2019 #12
Al was railroaded. Joe941 Jan 2019 #15
It's up to him, but he would be high on my primary list. MoonRiver Jan 2019 #14
"If" is a hell of a thing to dig out from under. nt fleabiscuit Jan 2019 #16

Stare Decisis

(229 posts)
4. No I mean for real.
Thu Jan 17, 2019, 01:58 PM
Jan 2019

I don't jack around. I love Al. Ever since I was a little kid and he was Stewart Smalley. I thought Kirsten might have potential but then she presented herself as a grifter IMO. Al is a wonderful person, a tireless fighter for good, a big reason we have Obamacare and deserves to be heard. But don't sit here and tell me, "I love him, but, Leann Tweeden." We don't have to apologize for spilling a glass of milk when the other side is the political equivalent of the Exxon Valdez.

hlthe2b

(103,502 posts)
6. I'd love it.
Thu Jan 17, 2019, 02:01 PM
Jan 2019

Hell, he's already weathered (an abetted) RW smear campaign, so how much more can they tear him down?

Caliman73

(11,767 posts)
10. I think Franken is a good politician and public servant. I don't see him as President, yet.
Thu Jan 17, 2019, 02:38 PM
Jan 2019

He has said that after some time in self imposed exile, that he is getting back into the public eye. I believe that he is launching a podcast or show. I think that he should do that for awhile, then maybe get back in to politics, maybe run for governor of Minnesota, then after that a presidential run. I don't think a showdown between Franken and Gillibrand is necessary or good for the party. Gillibrand was the higher profile person linked to Franken's situation but she wasn't the only one calling for him to resign.

The thing that irritated me most about the whole situation is the Franken was asking for the ethics investigation, but Democratic Senators kept pressuring him before the investigation even started and he decided to resign since he lost any support from the members of the party. I am not saying that they should have taken Franken's side over the accusers, but they should have at least advocated for due process and if the investigation returned anything untoward, then they would have been able to force his resignation, censure him, whatever. Instead it appears like a case of Ready, Fire, Aim.

aeromanKC

(3,374 posts)
11. Would make the debates interesting
Thu Jan 17, 2019, 02:41 PM
Jan 2019

Especially if Franken's and Gillibrand's podiums were next to each other.

greblach

(261 posts)
12. Franken 2020
Thu Jan 17, 2019, 02:41 PM
Jan 2019

I would support Franken if he ran (for anything)...He was unfairly forced out, yet the I love beer guy now has a lifetime job on the Supreme Court...

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»Ok. Why Not Franken 2020...