HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Carbon Dioxide Released -...

Tue Jan 22, 2019, 11:10 AM

Carbon Dioxide Released - An All-time Record 45 Billion Tons In 2017

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/11/13/global-carbon-dioxide-emissions-reach-record-high/859659001/

What can I say.

Sorry kiddies.... Nice planet ya got here. Errr I mean had.

Now let me go fly somewhere!

"In sum, our seats alone on the planes to and from Morocco helped unload about 16,800 pounds of carbon dioxide."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/theworldpost/wp/2017/11/02/plane-pollution/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1862db547dc0

What are we here for if not to destroy our host?

5 replies, 320 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Carbon Dioxide Released - An All-time Record 45 Billion Tons In 2017 (Original post)
PaulX2 Jan 2019 OP
PaulX2 Jan 2019 #1
Bayard Jan 2019 #2
athena Jan 2019 #3
anarch Jan 2019 #4
c-rational Jan 2019 #5

Response to PaulX2 (Original post)

Tue Jan 22, 2019, 11:27 AM

1. 57 Views Not One Comment - Not One Rec - The Earth Is A Gonner

Sorry kids / critters.

Your time is over.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 22, 2019, 11:43 AM

2. At this point,

I'm wondering if the damage tRump has wrought can be undone, once the adults are back in charge.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2019, 11:52 AM

3. People,

even DUers, love their SUVs and meat and air travel and ability to procreate too much to care. That’s why you’re getting no replies. Denial is easier than recognizing and getting rid of one’s bad habits, which takes intellectual courage.

Not long ago, there was a thread on DU in which pretty much everyone recommended that a DUer who doesn’t like SUVs should just buy an SUV because SUVs are much better . There was another thread in which petite women were bragging about how they drive large SUVs. Any time someone tries to suggest that people go vegan to save animals, the planet, and their own health, they get flamed off the forum.

You’re right. We’re doomed. We’re doomed because the vast majority of humans are disgustingly selfish. The only way to live in this world as someone who cares is to focus on your own actions and try to ignore the masses, because they’re too narrowly focused on their own immediate self-interest to even consider changing.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2019, 12:09 PM

4. ugh. Humans are basically their own worst enemy.

I feel lucky to have been alive during this time of some truly exciting scientific advances. I mean, people walked on the moon; we know what we know about quantum mechanics, we have the internet, etc...exponential advances in human technology, which sounds great and all, but what's the point if our collective lifestyles destroy the planet we live on?

People need to get it together to do whatever we can to put the brakes on greenhouse-gas contributions, and otherwise prepare to live with the consequences of the last 100 years of humanity's careless abuse of the planet's resources. I don't think people in general are willing to face up to the issue...

I would encourage people to read this article, which recommends that climate scientists switch their focus more toward adaptation at this point, as we're already in a disaster situation whether we want to admit it or not:

https://www.lifeworth.com/deepadaptation.pdf

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2019, 03:58 PM

5. Good post and it should generate more traction. This is not just a national emergency but a world

emergency. But our MSM and corporate structure would rather focus on emotionalism, profits and he discrediting of scientific truth. I also do not sense the urgency required. Al Gore was made fun of and there was more talk of his brown suits than real issues. We need people to vote with intelligence, and that requires an educated public. I do not want to become less hopeful, but in 2012 I made a point to see coral reefs because I do not believe they will exist in 30 years.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread