HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Selecting Stacey Abrams t...

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 07:17 PM

Selecting Stacey Abrams to give the response was a brilliant move by Pelosi and Schumer

It allows them to show off the diverse young energy in the party, without getting caught in a trap of appearing to play favorites among the Congressional newcomers.

Not to mention it's hard to find starker contrast to Trump than a fierce, elegant young black woman.

The only thing keeping me from dying of happiness over this right now is if I drop dead, I'll miss Stacey's speech.

54 replies, 4609 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 54 replies Author Time Post
Reply Selecting Stacey Abrams to give the response was a brilliant move by Pelosi and Schumer (Original post)
EffieBlack Jan 2019 OP
In It to Win It Jan 2019 #1
Callado119 Jan 2019 #19
guillaumeb Jan 2019 #2
WheelWalker Jan 2019 #53
Hermit-The-Prog Jan 2019 #3
EffieBlack Jan 2019 #5
Hermit-The-Prog Jan 2019 #7
EffieBlack Jan 2019 #10
Honeycombe8 Jan 2019 #24
EffieBlack Jan 2019 #27
Honeycombe8 Jan 2019 #38
EffieBlack Jan 2019 #39
Honeycombe8 Jan 2019 #40
pnwmom Jan 2019 #42
Honeycombe8 Jan 2019 #43
pnwmom Jan 2019 #44
Honeycombe8 Jan 2019 #45
pnwmom Jan 2019 #46
sheshe2 Jan 2019 #14
calimary Jan 2019 #17
Me. Jan 2019 #4
panader0 Jan 2019 #6
Starry Messenger Jan 2019 #8
gratuitous Jan 2019 #9
mr_lebowski Jan 2019 #12
OliverQ Jan 2019 #11
EffieBlack Jan 2019 #15
More_Cowbell Jan 2019 #32
UniteFightBack Jan 2019 #13
DinahMoeHum Jan 2019 #16
EffieBlack Jan 2019 #18
MoonchildCA Jan 2019 #47
EffieBlack Jan 2019 #48
MoonchildCA Jan 2019 #50
EffieBlack Jan 2019 #51
Stinky The Clown Jan 2019 #20
EffieBlack Jan 2019 #21
Cha Jan 2019 #31
stuffmatters Jan 2019 #22
Chicago1980 Jan 2019 #23
Pepsidog Jan 2019 #25
mcar Jan 2019 #26
ProudMNDemocrat Jan 2019 #28
Stinky The Clown Jan 2019 #33
Basement Beat Jan 2019 #29
Cha Jan 2019 #30
EffieBlack Jan 2019 #35
Cha Jan 2019 #36
GulfCoast66 Jan 2019 #37
oberliner Jan 2019 #34
smirkymonkey Jan 2019 #41
Post removed Jan 2019 #49
Gothmog Jan 2019 #52
proud patriot Jan 2019 #54

Response to EffieBlack (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 07:18 PM

1. She needs to run for President.

I won’t let this go.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to In It to Win It (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:32 PM

19. She should run in..

2028 when she’s in her second term as US senator and our dem presidential nominee is finishing their second term..

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 07:19 PM

2. Great ending.

Assuming you are still here of course.

Anyone sane would be a stark contrast to Trump.

Recommended.

Reply to this post

Response to guillaumeb (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 30, 2019, 10:08 PM

53. I'm totally with you on this. Great ending to the OP!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 07:21 PM

3. HR1

She's also a prime example of why HR-1 emphasized fixing the problems with our election system. She should be Governor Abrams right now.

Reply to this post

Response to Hermit-The-Prog (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 07:30 PM

5. Yep

I love the "in-your-face" aspect of this. To have a woman who SHOULD have won her race deliver the response is fantastic. The only thing better would be if they tapped Hillary to do it.

Actually this is better because Hillary has essentially retired and is no threat to them - other than the space she takes up in their heads - but Stacey Abrams is their nightmare future.

Reply to this post

Response to EffieBlack (Reply #5)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 07:37 PM

7. Abrams hasn't been demonized (yet)

I'd vote for Hillary in a second if she chose to run, but Abrams is a much better choice for the Democratic response. GOPers have not run a decades-long propaganda war against her. There will be people who have not heard her speak who will hear her words because of it.

"Stacey Abrams is their nightmare future" -- I'm looking forward to that!

Reply to this post

Response to Hermit-The-Prog (Reply #7)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 07:54 PM

10. Yes - This could be an Obama 2004 DNC Convention Speech Moment

Reply to this post

Response to EffieBlack (Reply #10)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:42 PM

24. I don't think so. Usually it's not that helpful for the politician.

There's no audience, for starters. No claps, no cheers. Then it's a denouement to the main event, the SOTU. And for some reason, the person giving the response always seems to be nervous (remember Rubio drinking a lot of water?)

Obama's 2004 speech was spectacular in part because he was in front of a massive audience and could feed off that energy and enthusiasm.

It can kill a career, though. Remember Jindal's response one year? Before then, he was a Presidential contender, to the GOP. After it, he was washed up.

But I like Abrams a lot. The speech I heard her give was awesome. So I expect she'll do well. But not an Obama 2004 occasion. Maybe she should be considered for that for the upcoming election.

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #24)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:58 PM

27. Stacey Abrams isn't Bobby Jindal

She's not even Joe Kennedy.

I have a feeling that Pelosi, Abrams and their teams are fairy well aware of those missteps and not only won't they repeat them, they will make this work for them.

Reply to this post

Response to EffieBlack (Reply #27)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 10:53 PM

38. I'm sure you'll like it. But the response to the SOTU is successful if it's not memorable.

The ones that people remember are those that were particularly bad or something funny happened, like Rubio reaching off camera awkwardly to get his glass of water. Or Joe Kennedy's chapsticked lips (although he did a fine response).

It's an honor, and I'm sure Abrams will do fine. But it won't be a springboard to anything, IMO. A speech at the convention is, if she gets that. This may be a test for that.

Why the State of the Union response is always so bad

Supposedly, we are to believe, this is an honor. It has been framed by party leaders and pundits as a path to stardom, a sign that Ernst has some standing and a future in her party. Don't believe it. She has a future, but her response won't likely be a memorable launching pad.

People only remember the response to the State of the Union when it goes badly. (It's kind of like NFL refereeing -- memorable only in its poor execution.) Like it did for Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal who displayed about as much charisma as Steve Urkel when he delivered the response in 2009. And of course Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) had his bottled water moment. (Rubio's internal thought process: "If I maintain eye contact with the camera, then maybe nobody will notice that I'm about to grab this tiny bottle of water and take a tiny sip" ). ***

The SOTU response is also supposed to be political theater. But it comes after what is typically a long (hour plus) speech and well past 10 pm on the East Coast. So, no one pays much attention to start.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/01/20/why-the-state-of-the-union-response-is-always-so-bad/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.31f630cc3f06

The State of the Union response — and why it's always terrible — explained

On Tuesday, South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley will deliver the response to the president's State of the Union address. It's an honor and a national platform for a Republican rising star. But it's also a very, very tough job.

Opposition parties have been trying to craft an effective State of the Union response for 50 years, and they've hardly ever succeeded. The most-remembered State of the Union responses are instead the ones that go awry....

https://www.vox.com/2015/1/20/7860325/state-of-the-union-response

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #38)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 11:01 PM

39. It can't be because it's never been

Gotcha.

Reply to this post

Response to EffieBlack (Reply #39)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 11:04 PM

40. Let's just hope she does well. Lot of pressure. She seems up to the task.

Maybe she'll get the convention speech.

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #38)

Wed Jan 30, 2019, 03:29 PM

42. Obama's was successful AND memorable. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #42)

Wed Jan 30, 2019, 03:58 PM

43. It must have been great for you to remember, since he never gave a response to the SOTU! nt

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #43)

Wed Jan 30, 2019, 04:05 PM

44. LOL, I was referring to his convention speech. But I have strong expectations for Abrams

and her SOTU response, based on her great speech when she finally conceded the Georgia election.

I bet she will be on fire.

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #44)

Wed Jan 30, 2019, 04:11 PM

45. I remember his convention speech. It was the first time I heard him.

I was cleaning house or something, tv was on. I was walking thru the LR when I heard this man giving a speech. It was extraordinary. I was captivated by the words and manner of speaking I was hearing. I turned around to look at the tv to see...who is this man? And there he was. Obama. He was that electrifying to me. That charismatic. He was special.

I know it sounds over the top, but it really was like that. I instantly thought he was special.

The response Abrams will give..not many people are going to watch it. People are tired after watching the SOTU, and the response is usually boring. Still, I will watch, if not that night, then on Youtube next day.

I've heard her give a speech just once. Not Obama. But better than any I've heard recently from any Democrat (except maybe Beto).

I like Abrams. I hope she makes it to the national level. I'd love to have a chance to vote for her.

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #45)

Wed Jan 30, 2019, 04:35 PM

46. I'm with you. I think she SHOULD get to the national level. n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:11 PM

14. Umm.

but Stacey Abrams is their nightmare future.

Stacey Abrams is reclaiming her time as well. A time that was stolen from her, just like Maxine. Brava.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:28 PM

17. She's definitely part of our party's deepening bench strength.

Glad we have her on our team!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 07:26 PM

4. Smart & Beyond

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 07:37 PM

6. I couldn't agree more.

The lady is fierce and eloquent. I'm happy that Pelosi and Schumer picked her,
and I'm happy she agreed. The contrast she will represent is perfect.
She would have won her election if not for the hi-jinx of her opponent.
Which is also a statement about Trump and his fraudulent election.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 07:47 PM

8. k&r

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 07:54 PM

9. I agree

Living on the other side of the continent, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the Georgia governor's race. Afterwards, I watched a video of Abrams' post-election (not a concession) speech. She blew me away. She'll do the same for the rest of the country, too.

Reply to this post

Response to gratuitous (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 07:58 PM

12. Exact same here, and she knocked it out of the park (nt)

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 07:55 PM

11. I'm still not happy that Pelosi is letting trump give the SOTU

especially before the possible next shutdown, but this was a good choice.

Reply to this post

Response to OliverQ (Reply #11)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:23 PM

15. I think it's the smart move

It takes away his "Democrats are picking on me" excuse and it's 99% sure that he will come across badly, as he always does, thereby strengthening the Democrats' negotiating position. She's giving him enough rope to hang himself ...

Nancy knows what she's doing and she doesn't make bad bets.

Reply to this post

Response to OliverQ (Reply #11)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 09:33 PM

32. I see what you mean, but it might go both ways. Trump can't claim victory, either

Instead, he's giving a SOTU in a very unsettled period.

We'll see what he makes of it.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:11 PM

13. She is extremely likeable, genuine and she is an excellent speaker. If she wasn't that she

wouldn't be doing it.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:23 PM

16. Tee hee. Trump will be just the opening act/undercard. . .

https://shareblue.com/stacey-abrams-more-popular-trump-state-of-the-union/

Stacey Abrams is more popular than Trump in her home state — and she's the real main event next Tuesday night.

(snip)
Democrats have chosen Georgia’s Stacey Abrams to give the official party response to Trump’s upcoming State of the Union speech.

“At a moment when our nation needs to hear from leaders who can unite for a common purpose, I am honored to be delivering the Democratic State of the Union response,” Abrams wrote.

Abrams is well positioned to run for Georgia’s Senate seat in 2020 with a 52 percent approval rating in a recent poll from the Atlanta Journal Constitution. The same poll finds Trump currently with 38 percent approval in the state, which he won in 2016. Back then, he received 51 percent of the vote.

“She is just a great spokesperson. She’s an incredible leader. She has led the charge for voting rights which is at the root of just about everything else,” Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer (NY) said upon making the announcement.

(snip)

Reply to this post

Response to DinahMoeHum (Reply #16)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:28 PM

18. It's interesting that Beto O'Rourke got all the attention and presidential run buzz

when it was Stacey Abrams who ran the better race and came closer to winning.

But now a few months later, Beto is hardly talked about anymore and Stacey is poised to step onto the national stage.

Reply to this post

Response to EffieBlack (Reply #18)

Wed Jan 30, 2019, 04:49 PM

47. Well, in all fairness, Beto's race for senate was on the federal level.

His winning would have affected us all more directly. Not to mention he would have taken out America's most hated senator.

Abrams did get more national buzz than normal for a governor's race.

I think we'll be seeing a lot more of them both.

Reply to this post

Response to MoonchildCA (Reply #47)

Wed Jan 30, 2019, 05:14 PM

48. That"s really threading the needle

Beside the fact that a governor probably has considerably more power and influence, statewide and nationally, than a first term junior senator, O'Rourke didn't win, so what winning COULD have meant is irrelevant to whether he should be touted as a presidential contender.

Frankly, I don't care what anyone says it or how folks try to parse it. We need to face the fact that a major reason that Beto got major presidential buzz and Stacey didn't is because a significant number of people take a white man much more seriously as a presidential contender than they do a black woman.

Reply to this post

Response to EffieBlack (Reply #48)

Wed Jan 30, 2019, 05:58 PM

50. I'm certainly not arguing your point.

I was just offering up one possibility of why he may have received more attention. People do often pay more attention to senate races than gubernatorial races, and he was up against a very high profile senator. That does not take away from the fact that race could have, and likely did play a factor.

Personally, I was excited that someone actually had a fighting chance against Ted Cruz. That being said, I really like Beto but I don't think he has the background/experience at this point in his career to run for president. Stacey Abrams has a much more impressive resume, and certainly is more qualified to be president. I'd vote for her in a primary before Beto any day.

Reply to this post

Response to MoonchildCA (Reply #50)

Wed Jan 30, 2019, 06:06 PM

51. Sometimes the most obvious reason is the reason

I think that's the case here.

But I agree with you about Beto's and Stacey's relative qualifications and potential.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:34 PM

20. I just heard the news a few minutes ago. I agree. It is a BRILLIANT decision.

When she gave her speech after ThatFuck™ "beat her" in the GA governor's race, I felt much as I did when Hillary lost to that other ThatFuck™. I called myself a Devastated Democrat.

Now we see this true BadAss Woman making her starring debut on the national stage. I cannot be happier than I am. I cannot be prouder to be a Democrat. I cannot be more in awe of Stacey Abrams than I already was before this.

Reply to this post

Response to Stinky The Clown (Reply #20)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:36 PM

21. Younme both /nt

Reply to this post

Response to Stinky The Clown (Reply #20)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 09:12 PM

31. "She has led the charge for voting rights, which is at the root of just about everything else."

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:37 PM

22. Anbolutely! Abrams heart and eloquence will make PresBrainFart look even stupider than usual.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:39 PM

23. I know it's not the convention...

But if she give a rebuttal that's eloquent and filled with facts, perhaps it could be o=in the realm of Obama's speech in 2004.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:44 PM

25. Stacey and Beto the future Nancy and Chuck would ha e been nice. I like her though.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:47 PM

26. It's a great move

I won't watch Dotard but I'll sure tune in for Stacey.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 09:04 PM

28. Stacey Abrams represents the next Generation of Leaders........

Stacy Abrams, Kamala Harris, Beto O'Rourke, Julian Castro, Cory Booker, Patrick Kennedy III, and others are the next generation of leaders that will keep this country going forward. They bring their youth, their experience, their dreams, their energy for this country.

The choice of Stacey Abrams is a brilliant move to give the STOU rebuttal. How Trump reacts will be interesting.

Reply to this post

Response to ProudMNDemocrat (Reply #28)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 09:58 PM

33. POC: 4 . . . White Guys: 2

That's a good thing!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 09:07 PM

29. Soooo thrilled with this!

She was the one person who I would have absolutely supported for president...but doubt this happens before 2028.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 09:09 PM

30. That's what I was thinking! & she was asked 3 weeks ago!

Stacy is Perfect for it!

Reply to this post

Response to Cha (Reply #30)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 10:01 PM

35. And it didn't leak ...

Another sign of Pelosi's badassedness

Reply to this post

Response to EffieBlack (Reply #35)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 10:15 PM

36. That's right! Stacy: At a moment when our nation needs to hear from leaders who can unite for a..

Reply to this post

Response to EffieBlack (Reply #35)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 10:45 PM

37. There is more in your post than most know.

The difference between people working for a common goal and those looking after themselves.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 09:59 PM

34. Amen

An outstanding choice. I can't wait to hear her speech.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 11:20 PM

41. She's a force of nature.

I am sure she will do a fantastic job.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2019, 06:26 PM

52. I am really looking forward to her rebuttal to trump's SOTU