Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

Stare Decisis

(229 posts)
Thu Feb 21, 2019, 11:37 AM Feb 2019

Smollett Media IS Not About Ratings It Is About Kamala

Senator Harris is the one that got out front and called it a modern day lynching, though I may be paraphrasing. She took him at his word. Now SOMEBODY controlling the press is very interested in making sure that this gets politically wrapped around her neck. A minor celebrity, Smollett is nothing more than pawn in the right wing's battle to mindfuck America. Now, understand that this, coupled with CNN's disturbing recent hire is evidence that elements of evil are still feeling confident.

So we shouldn't. In fact these developments give me the most pause as to the outcome of the SC investigation. (However Putin may have tipped us off to his hand because threatening another Cuban Crisis comes off as something he is saying to the NEXT President.)

But I digress. This is intended to be a problem for Kamala and sooner or later she will be asked to answer for what will be termed reactionary rhetoric, or judgment, or something, and that isn't fair, but in a country with a crime family at the helm a troubled young man with a history of embellishment and a fucking black eye is leading nightly network news. Do the math. Had the number one threat to the cabal not been outspoken America would be asking Jussie who? Now this won't stop her. This woman is far too smart for that. She will take care of it on her way to the ticket in some form, and the next Democratic administration. And a proud day that will be.

I am putting this out there because I feel we are being sandbagged somehow. If you told me they attacked this guy, after researching his history, using people he knew, just to make it look like he set it up, just to make our top guns look like asses, it would not surprise me. I know that sounds conspiratorial and NO, I am NOT saying this is what happened. But I also know the name LaQuan, I see that a deliberate attempt to leak to right wing media has been the methodology and I am telling you, the biggest mistake we can make, is underestimating the floor of their depravity.

There is none.

I am fresh out of incredulity. Literally nothing these cretins could do would shock me. Nothing. Zero. I am prepping for battle as if unadulterated evil is my enemy, with no morals, no lines, no limits to their actions. I hate that it has come to this.

Maybe Smollett is guilty. But this just goes to show that the RW machine still can make any molehill into a mountain at a moment's notice.

I'm not that smart.

But I for fuck sure am not that stupid.

17 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Smollett Media IS Not About Ratings It Is About Kamala (Original Post) Stare Decisis Feb 2019 OP
And this white supremacist with the Democratic hit list is getting about a tenth of the coverage. Squinch Feb 2019 #1
Thumbs up!👍 Firestorm49 Feb 2019 #2
You are right exboyfil Feb 2019 #3
maybe i'm paranoid, but this event reeks of "set up" rampartc Feb 2019 #4
Smollet wrote $3,500 checks to the "attackers" and the police have copies. bearsfootball516 Feb 2019 #5
last I heard he is denying it was a hoax. MH1 Feb 2019 #8
No loyalsister Feb 2019 #6
Here's an idea Jake Stern Feb 2019 #7
This. nt MH1 Feb 2019 #9
I wasn't surprised at all when Kamala said that Awsi Dooger Feb 2019 #11
That's a good point. I also think having Booker in the race hurts her. theboss Feb 2019 #15
Yes, exactly nt Raine Feb 2019 #17
Harris is currently my number one choice, but she's going to have to own this and deservedly so theboss Feb 2019 #10
I don't think this will hurt her that much ripcord Feb 2019 #12
This is a temporary self-inflicted wound. aikoaiko Feb 2019 #13
She wasn't the only one calling it a modern day lynching. Dr. Strange Feb 2019 #14
But that's just what Booker does. theboss Feb 2019 #16

exboyfil

(17,894 posts)
3. You are right
Thu Feb 21, 2019, 11:46 AM
Feb 2019

It is an unforced error. That really sucks since we have much more important things to discuss in this country.

It reminds me of the bind that the North Carolina police shooting put Clinton into in the 2016 election.

rampartc

(5,759 posts)
4. maybe i'm paranoid, but this event reeks of "set up"
Thu Feb 21, 2019, 11:50 AM
Feb 2019

has smollet admitted that he set it up, or is this "fake racist attack" narrative based upon the testimony of the earstwile muggers? they might, you know, have a motive to lie to police.

note : even if smollet admits this idea, it might just be his easiest way out of a grinder.

bearsfootball516

(6,384 posts)
5. Smollet wrote $3,500 checks to the "attackers" and the police have copies.
Thu Feb 21, 2019, 12:00 PM
Feb 2019

There’s not much more to say. He’s a bad apple.

MH1

(17,885 posts)
8. last I heard he is denying it was a hoax.
Thu Feb 21, 2019, 01:10 PM
Feb 2019

but the checks and other evidence sound like if it was a setup, the poor guy is screwed. He now is in a place where he would have to prove his innocence. If he truly is innocent (which I doubt, but I guess setup is slightly plausible), I feel badly for him.

That said, any political candidates better be careful about rushing to judgment on any accusation. Especially one that has unlikely details. ("MAGA country"? Really? )

loyalsister

(13,390 posts)
6. No
Thu Feb 21, 2019, 12:32 PM
Feb 2019

Conflict driven programing keeps people coming back. It is a satisfying way if confirming biases.
Viewers get a thrill out of watching people argue getting as mean as they can get. They also like to pick up talking points to use against opposing views.

The more controversial the story, the more useful it is for stoking the hate and division that has infected our politics and daily life interactions.

Jake Stern

(3,145 posts)
7. Here's an idea
Thu Feb 21, 2019, 01:00 PM
Feb 2019

Don’t put yourself out there by calling something a “modern day lynching” until you’re damn sure that’s what it is.

Really cuts down on the sound bites for oppo ads.

Awsi Dooger

(14,565 posts)
11. I wasn't surprised at all when Kamala said that
Thu Feb 21, 2019, 01:31 PM
Feb 2019

IMO, her instincts are weak. I have posted that for months. It is the number one concern I have about her, and ability to get elected.

No doubt she would make a great president. Surviving a general election campaign is another matter entirely. Kamala has always been on offense so it never occurs to her that offense might not be appropriate, and could in fact be damaging. That was the case here.

theboss

(10,491 posts)
15. That's a good point. I also think having Booker in the race hurts her.
Thu Feb 21, 2019, 04:20 PM
Feb 2019

I respect Booker, but that dude's natural instinct is to grandstand at every possible moment. And I think her instinct is not be left behind when he does.

Booker - being Booker - has more ability to brush this stuff off. He's the activist, passionate mayor who ran to burning buildings and stuff.

She's the sober, organized prosecutor.

theboss

(10,491 posts)
10. Harris is currently my number one choice, but she's going to have to own this and deservedly so
Thu Feb 21, 2019, 01:30 PM
Feb 2019

She got way way way way out in front of story that many people were suspicious about from the start. It was - dare I say - a Trumpian attempt to turn a news story into a larger issue that fit a particular agenda.

It was really bad judgment, and that's important when discussing a presidential candidate.

ripcord

(5,553 posts)
12. I don't think this will hurt her that much
Thu Feb 21, 2019, 01:40 PM
Feb 2019

But I think she has learned that a more low key response to developing news is needed.

aikoaiko

(34,195 posts)
13. This is a temporary self-inflicted wound.
Thu Feb 21, 2019, 01:55 PM
Feb 2019

It might hurt a little more with KH because of the racially charged language that she chose to use and because of her former job as a prosecutor and AG.

Once the case is resolved, she'll be fine.

Dr. Strange

(25,957 posts)
14. She wasn't the only one calling it a modern day lynching.
Thu Feb 21, 2019, 02:14 PM
Feb 2019

Cory Booker did too:

Apparently to try to drum up support for the Anti-Lynching bill.

theboss

(10,491 posts)
16. But that's just what Booker does.
Thu Feb 21, 2019, 04:22 PM
Feb 2019

It's 2019 so we need to start thinking of candidates in terms of branding. Booker is also the passionate, grandstanding guy who goes out on a limb on issues. It's what he does.

That is not how Kamala Harris has presented herself. So following Booker down this path probably hurts her more than it hurts him.

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»Smollett Media IS Not Abo...