HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Progressives Support Shor...

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 09:29 PM

Progressives Support Shoring Up ACA Before Tackling Medicare For All

“I’m happy to support any provision that strengthens the ACA and plug some of the gaps that we’re seeing, particularly as it’s under assault by the president,” Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) told HuffPost on Wednesday. “I think it’s part of a longer-term vision, at least for me, towards guaranteeing ― truly guaranteeing ― health care for all Americans.”

No less than Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), whose 2016 primary campaign arguably mainstreamed Medicare for All among Democrats, also backed the idea of Congress shoring up the ACA rather than focusing all its energies on enacting single-payer.

Other progressives ― like the lead author of a yet-to-be-released Medicare for All bill, Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.) ― said Wednesday that it wasn’t “contradictory in any way” to support strengthening the ACA while still pushing for a transformation of the health care system to universal coverage.

“I told the speaker ― and I said in caucus yesterday ― we are completely united, as I’ve said for a while, on shoring up the ACA. Like, that cannot wait,” Jayapal said.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-aca-democrats-array-ocasio-cortez-health-care-medicare_n_5c9bc9f9e4b072a7f603a718

7 replies, 533 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Progressives Support Shoring Up ACA Before Tackling Medicare For All (Original post)
Power 2 the People Mar 2019 OP
manor321 Mar 2019 #1
MrsCoffee Mar 2019 #4
Andy823 Mar 2019 #5
riverine Mar 2019 #2
Wounded Bear Mar 2019 #3
UniteFightBack Mar 2019 #6
George II Mar 2019 #7

Response to Power 2 the People (Original post)

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 09:37 PM

1. That's not what Bernie said last night on Chris Hayes' show

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to manor321 (Reply #1)

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 09:42 PM

4. Right? He was definitely all or nothing.

Reply to this post

Response to manor321 (Reply #1)

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 09:43 PM

5. The poster knows that

They have even posted on that thread talking about what Bernie did.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 09:41 PM

2. Good. Medicaid should be expanded to all who need it.

And those who want to keep their employer based health insurance should feel safe.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 09:41 PM

3. Good to hear...

MFA is a heavy lift. Would not be good to let ACA lapse while in the process of working toward MFA.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 09:56 PM

6. This is the way to go!!!!!!!! We finally got people liking the ACA....let's stick with it and make

it work.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 10:40 PM

7. This was already posted a few hours ago here when it was Latest Breaking News:

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142293852

George II (36,262 posts)

Progressives Support Shoring Up ACA Before Tackling Medicare For All
Source: Huffington Post

WASHINGTON ― The Trump administration’s effort to completely dismantle the Affordable Care Act through the courts is having one immediate, unintended consequence: uniting Democrats.

Despite a large division in the Democratic party over the best health care solution ― single-payer or a continuation and possible expansion of something like Obamacare ― progressives in Congress appear to be in lockstep with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s priority of shoring up the ACA before tackling anything like Medicare for All.

“I’m happy to support any provision that strengthens the ACA and plug some of the gaps that we’re seeing, particularly as it’s under assault by the president,” Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) told HuffPost on Wednesday. “I think it’s part of a longer-term vision, at least for me, towards guaranteeing ― truly guaranteeing ― health care for all Americans.”

Ocasio-Cortez said she understood prioritizing fixes to the Affordable Care Act. “Because we have a Republican Senate, a Republican president, and so the things that we have the ability to pass right now are pretty narrow,” she said, though she added she wanted hearings on Medicare for All and didn’t think single-payer solutions had been given enough attention from the Democratic caucus yet.

Read more: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-aca-democrats-array-ocasio-cortez-health-care-medicare_n_5c9bc9f9e4b072a7f603a718?1hd

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread