HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Mueller Report: Almost c...

Fri Apr 19, 2019, 08:01 AM

Mueller Report: Almost circular reasoning

Trump can't be charged with Obstructing Justice because his inferiors refused to do what he directed them to do.

But OTOH, if they HAD followed his directives, there could have been not only successful OOJ but also shutting down the Mueller Investigation, making the information nearly impossible to share with the public and Congress.

3 replies, 389 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mueller Report: Almost circular reasoning (Original post)
no_hypocrisy Apr 2019 OP
N_E_1 for Tennis Apr 2019 #1
manor321 Apr 2019 #2
A DAY IN THE LIFE Apr 2019 #3

Response to no_hypocrisy (Original post)

Fri Apr 19, 2019, 08:10 AM

1. Creating new criminal defense strategies...

Have to figure out how to use this one when I get into trouble but I’m down with the “I’m too ignorant to understand the law so I couldn’t have committed a crime” ploy. Good god that was handed to Jr. on a silver platter.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Apr 19, 2019, 08:19 AM

2. The Mueller report doesn't say that

Trump can't be charged with Obstructing Justice because his inferiors refused to do what he directed them to do.

That is not an argument used in the Mueller report.

He can't be charged because of DOJ guidelines. Also, the report says they could have cleared him, but doesn't do so.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 19, 2019, 08:43 AM

3. What Trump did in these cases was conspiracy to obstruct justice

But in order to charge conspiracy a member of the conspiracy must do something to further the crime. When the other members of the conspiracy refused to do anything to further a criminal act, then no criminal conspiracy took place.

I tell Peter to kill Harold with a machete. Peter does nothing. No criminal conspiracy.
But Peter goes out and buys a machete. Now we have criminal conspiracy, since Peter acted to further the conspiracy and I can be charged with conspiracy to commit murder.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread