HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Vox: The problem with imp...

Fri Apr 19, 2019, 05:59 PM

Vox: The problem with impeachment.

I'm in the pro-impeachment hearing camp, as I've indicated in another OP. But I also like reading different points of view, and I appreciate how carefully thought out this is. It's an engaging read.

It was very hard to choose just four paragraphs:

"...This brings us back to the question of elections, the frontline mechanism of democratic accountability. Behind some of these arguments is a fear, I think, that the American public doesn’t care enough about the rule of law to protect it themselves in the next election. After all, Democrats didn’t run on Mueller in 2018, and there’s no evidence they want to run on his findings in 2020, either. Will all this really go unpunished? What if Trump then wins reelection?

“If you’re president, you get to commit whatever crime you’d like, so long as your party has enough votes in Congress to help you escape conviction,” writes Favreau. “Does that seem like a great precedent?”

No, it’s a terrible precedent. But then, we’re trapped in a terrible political system. All the options are bad. Justice is never assured, and it’s not even likely.

As I understand the House Democrats’ plan, it’s to use the Mueller report to launch investigations, send out subpoenas, and hold public hearings. All of that could lead to revelations that tilt the public toward impeachment, it could prove that the public doesn’t consider these revelations important enough to merit impeachment, or it could simply inform the public to help them make a decision in the 2020 election...."

More: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/19/18485862/mueller-report-trump-impeachment-obstruction

8 replies, 593 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Vox: The problem with impeachment. (Original post)
femmedem Apr 2019 OP
UniteFightBack Apr 2019 #1
femmedem Apr 2019 #3
Zoonart Apr 2019 #5
Turbineguy Apr 2019 #2
femmedem Apr 2019 #6
Buzz cook Apr 2019 #4
femmedem Apr 2019 #7
abqtommy Apr 2019 #8

Response to femmedem (Original post)

Fri Apr 19, 2019, 06:01 PM

1. Bring forth some hearings/investigations! They better have damn good and yes coordinated,

follow up etc. questions.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to UniteFightBack (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 19, 2019, 06:18 PM

3. I have a lot of faith that they will. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to UniteFightBack (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 19, 2019, 06:23 PM

5. I call it...

The death by 10,000 cuts. Just bloody 45 daily with testimony.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 19, 2019, 06:15 PM

2. There's supposedly 100,000

right-wing-nut-job terrorists itching to start shooting other Americans. Trump should be impeached, but don't expect these creeps to be happy about it.

Reply to this post

Response to Turbineguy (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 19, 2019, 07:09 PM

6. That's a scary thought.

And we know how Trump loves to incite violence.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 19, 2019, 06:19 PM

4. The media is already signaling

that it will punish democrats for starting impeachment. Add to that there is also the claim in the media that anything except a conviction in the senate will be a total failure and cost the democrats the election.

Given that the media loves their own narratives, I wouldn't put it past them to make the later a self fulfilling prophecy.

Imho that it one of the reasons Pelosi has a go slow policy. She hopes to bring the media along and sell impeachment to them.

Reply to this post

Response to Buzz cook (Reply #4)

Fri Apr 19, 2019, 07:11 PM

7. All strong points.

Of course, a segment of the media will punish democrats no matter which route they take.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 19, 2019, 08:20 PM

8. Even if impeachment fails

the effort isn't wasted since as soon as the miscreant leaves office here comes indictments! It is possible to do the right thing one step at a time!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread