HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Iowa's longest-serving GO...

Wed Apr 24, 2019, 12:20 AM

Iowa's longest-serving GOP lawmaker joins the Democrats

By Jamie Ehrlich, CNN
Updated 11:35 PM ET, Tue April 23, 2019

Washington (CNN)The Iowa Legislature's longest-serving Republican announced Tuesday that because of President Donald Trump, he will be joining the Democratic Party, calling Trump "a poor example for the nation and particularly for our children."

State Rep. Andy McKean, who has served in both Iowa's Senate and House chambers, identified with the Republican Party for 35 years before Tuesday's announcement and is the longest-serving Republican in the state's Legislature today, according to the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee.

"With the 2020 president election looming on the horizon, I feel as a Republican that I need to be able to support the standard bearer of our party. Unfortunately, that is not something I am able to do," McKean said at a news conference.

"He sets, in my opinion, a poor example for the nation and particularly for our children by personally insulting -- often in a crude and juvenile fashion -- those who disagree with him, being a bully at a time when we we are attempting to discourage bullying, his frequent disregard for the truth and his willingness to ridicule or marginalize people for their appearance, ethnicity or disability," McKean said ...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/23/politics/andy-mckean-iowa-gop-lawmaker-change-party/index.html

9 replies, 683 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Iowa's longest-serving GOP lawmaker joins the Democrats (Original post)
struggle4progress Apr 24 OP
RandySF Apr 24 #1
struggle4progress Apr 24 #2
Cha Apr 24 #4
Cha Apr 24 #3
Bigredhunk Apr 24 #5
OnDoutside Apr 24 #7
Control-Z Apr 24 #6
JohnZSmith Apr 24 #8
susanna Apr 24 #9

Response to struggle4progress (Original post)

Wed Apr 24, 2019, 12:31 AM

1. Picture this

Republicans have a trifecta in Iowa and he gave up all of that seniority to join us.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to RandySF (Reply #1)

Wed Apr 24, 2019, 12:37 AM

2. Fare thee, Titanic, fare thee well!

Reply to this post

Response to struggle4progress (Reply #2)

Wed Apr 24, 2019, 02:03 AM

4. +1!

Reply to this post

Response to RandySF (Reply #1)

Wed Apr 24, 2019, 02:02 AM

3. I know! It's that

bad!

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 24, 2019, 02:12 AM

5. Great News!

AM is a decent guy. We called him during the IA repug push to F with collective bargaining. Got him at home of all places, and he spent a good 1/2 hour to 45 min on the phone with us. He was leaning toward voting against screwing teachers, etc... He ended up voting the right way, thankfully.

He was a repug, but he seemed to genuinely care about what his constituents wanted. So glad to see he changed parties. I'll have to give him a call and let him know we're proud of him!

Reply to this post

Response to Bigredhunk (Reply #5)

Wed Apr 24, 2019, 02:22 AM

7. You should do, that's nice to hear. I'm sure he's getting a lot of Trumper hate right now, so he

could use all the support he could get.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 24, 2019, 02:19 AM

6. This is good!

I will not demean or show disrespect when a Republican publicly changes party. It will be only a few, at best I expect, but most of those who have spoken out have something the rest of their party lacks.

I think we should give them credit, and possibly reason to stick with us after the crisis is over. At least for this election.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 24, 2019, 03:13 AM

8. It's sure taking long enough...

...for some rats to FINALLY jump ship!

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 24, 2019, 03:22 AM

9. I hope for more people to wake/rise up

in the wake of this disaster we are living.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread