HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Impeachment!

Thu Apr 25, 2019, 06:08 PM

Impeachment!

I have a boring procedural question on impeachment inquiries, probably only of interest to procedural nerd wonks like me.

Iím just curious why the whole House has to vote to open an impeachment inquiry in the House Judiciary whereby the whole House didnít vote to approve Nadlerís sweeping obstruction of justice probe announced before the Mueller report or for Cohen to testify, Comey to testify, etc.

Iím not suggesting an end run. Iíd be opposed actually. Just curious why Nadler needs the whole House for an impeachment investigation but not for his obstruction investigation to be launched. Can anyone explain the procedures behind this to a wonk like me? Just find it interesting and confusing procedurally. Iím not making an argument on the substance of it at all.

Wonks may also recall that the whole house had to approve the Nixon Ď74 and Clinton Ď98 formal impeachment inquiries as well. Why?

2 replies, 459 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Impeachment! (Original post)
NewsCenter28 Apr 2019 OP
Chin music Apr 2019 #1
NewsCenter28 Apr 2019 #2

Response to NewsCenter28 (Original post)

Thu Apr 25, 2019, 06:19 PM

1. Curious question from a self identified "wonk".

Just an observation. And no, I don't have the answer.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Chin music (Reply #1)

Thu Apr 25, 2019, 06:57 PM

2. It's interesting for sure!

I canít find anything on this anywhere. Nothing on Wiki or Google at all. Sorry for the question. Parliamentary procedure is what got me interested in politics in the first place. Itís as interesting as the actual substance of politics really.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread