HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Why smart men make better...

Sun Jun 9, 2019, 08:06 PM

Why smart men make better partners

Could explain trump?

A new study says that if you're picking a male life partner, a smarter one would be better for the long-term success of your relationship.

Jaako Aspara led the research at the Hanken School of Economics in Finland that looked at the question of picking partners from an evolutionary perspective. The team discovered that the levels of a partner's intelligence directly affect the “fitness" of the partnership to “survive and support the offspring."

The researchers showed a connection between intelligence and marital history. The number of men who got married and stayed hitched increased with each rise in overall intelligence within the five age groups studied. Younger groups most strongly exhibited this effect.

In other interesting conclusions, the scientists found that verbal intelligence relates to the probability of getting married, since being a better talker can make it easier for you to attract a mate. Overall intellectual ability equally relates to getting divorced. Higher intelligence means having the capacity to avoid a breakup by expressing and discussing feelings, according to the research team. On the flip side, notes Whitbourne, studies showed that intelligent women also have more stable and long-lasting marriages.

https://bigthink.com/paul-ratner/why-smart-men-make-better-partners

4 replies, 1230 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why smart men make better partners (Original post)
Miigwech Jun 2019 OP
mbusby Jun 2019 #1
Xipe Totec Jun 2019 #3
SCantiGOP Jun 2019 #2
spooky3 Jun 2019 #4

Response to Miigwech (Original post)

Sun Jun 9, 2019, 10:17 PM

1. When my wife first met me...

...she thought I was a jerk. We have been married for 40 years.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mbusby (Reply #1)

Sun Jun 9, 2019, 10:37 PM

3. A smart-ass is still smart. nt

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 9, 2019, 10:28 PM

2. Trump probably isn't finished

Number 4, probably in her 30s, May follow Melanie when she leaves with an NDA and $250 million.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 9, 2019, 10:52 PM

4. Yes, but the same study found that cars had a stronger relationship with marital history:

"The possession of a large, new car, which had a higher relationship to marital history than intelligence, still was fairly small in its absolute effect."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/fulfillment-any-age/201801/why-smarter-man-should-be-better-partner

The sample included only Finnish men.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread