HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » NoShit...

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 03:47 PM

NoShit...

14 replies, 4425 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to pbmus (Original post)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 03:51 PM

1. Yup.

Sounds about right.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 04:22 PM

2. K&R, don't forget to add child abuser

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 05:13 PM

3. Nixon was a bigot...about Jews. Not sure about others. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #3)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 05:28 PM

4. Oh yeah...

“I have the greatest affection for them [blacks] but I know they’re not going to make it for 500 years. They aren’t. You know it, too. The Mexicans are a different cup of tea. They have a heritage. At the present time they steal, they’re dishonest, but they do have some concept of family life. They don’t live like a bunch of dogs, which the Negroes do live like.”

or...
Well, ah, even the Southerners say, “Well, our (racial slur) are better than their (racial slur).” Hell, that’s the way they talk! … It’s like when our black athletes, I mean in the Olympics, are running against the other black athletes, the Southerner may not like the black but he’s for that black athlete.

https://www.chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2018/10/30/nixon-the-racial-slur-and-me/

Reply to this post

Response to progressoid (Reply #4)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 01:33 PM

10. And let's remember the war on drugs

"You want to know what this was really all about,” after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, “The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or blacks, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did." John Ehrlichman, Watergate co-conspirator

Reply to this post

Response to Kind of Blue (Reply #10)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 09:35 PM

13. Yep, and the effects of his war on drugs can still be felt today.

Asshole.

Reply to this post

Response to progressoid (Reply #4)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 04:22 PM

12. Wow. I hadn't heard that before. It fits, though. nt

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 05:32 PM

5. The way they keep pushing the boundaries

each republican pretzeldent, to some extent, makes predecessors look a little better.

Let's not let Nixon off the hook from which he hanged himself.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 05:51 PM

6. You underestimate Nixon's sliminess. He was a cold fish, so one wouldn't expect him to have been

involved in sexual abuse. He was an equal opportunity misanthropist - paranoid, mean, and vindictive. Nixon's tapes reveal he thought women should not drink or swear because that wan't "feminine", and I suspect he thought the same about running for political office. He was anti-Semitic and a racist. He was a despot, but he exerted it only as far as he thought he could get away with it politically. He committed treason when he conspired with North Vietnam to stall peace talks to sabotage the Johnson administration and help himself get elected. He had no love of the environment in spite of getting credit he doesn't deserve for the Clean Water Act and the EPA. He'd probably, like many conservatives, be a climate change denier just to win support of big business and oil, not because he believed it.

Reply to this post

Response to Nitram (Reply #6)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 12:13 PM

8. +1 million

Reply to this post

Response to Nitram (Reply #6)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 01:35 PM

11. +1000

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 06:20 PM

7. We could also add the caustic oratory skills of Spiro Agnew to that mix...

along with his love of attacking the press.......

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 01:04 PM

9. I have to agree about the IQ points though...

I lived through Mr. Nixon's years and while he was indeed everything that's been said about him here, both by the original Twitter poster and the reply not to mention the DU posters, he was NOT a stupid man. He also had a measure of personal bravery neither of which of our chump-in-chief possesses.

You have no idea how I'm shaking my head right now …….. comparing Mr. Nixon FAVORABLY with anyone! I feel dirty even doing that tbh but truth is truth.

Reply to this post

Response to BigOleDummy (Reply #9)

Thu Jun 13, 2019, 12:38 PM

14. I agree. Nixon was very intelligent. Which suggests that if he had had the spineless Republican

majority in both Houses that Trump had, we'd have been totally fucked.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread