HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Thanks and get lost

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 11:22 PM

Thanks and get lost

Watching Jon Stewart at the hearing today (several threads here in GD) caused me to think of how we, as a country, are quick to say thanks but painfully slow to keep a promise or pay our debts.

The men and women Jon Stewart worked for today (and for years) are largely forgotten by the people who have the job of repaying them for their service and incredibly costly personal sacrifices.

Our vets - and not just new ones, but dating back to the oldest one still alive - are supposed to be served by the Veterans Administration. But how many are means tested? Just because they were luckier in life os no reason to tell them they can't get the benefits the NATION promised them. How many who meet all criteria for services are made to wait for what ought to be criminally long times. Go visit the lobby of you local VA hospital to see first hand what I'm describing. I've made that visit more times than I ever wanted to.

While there are programs and benefits for them, what about the families of the fallen? They also serve who only stand and wait. We owe them more than we can ever repay.

This country OWES these people.

Instead, its thoughtsandprayers and seeya around.

6 replies, 1553 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Thanks and get lost (Original post)
Stinky The Clown Tuesday OP
WheelWalker Tuesday #1
Karadeniz Tuesday #2
MasonDreams Wednesday #3
rusty quoin Wednesday #4
Lonestarblue Wednesday #5
Initech Wednesday #6

Response to Stinky The Clown (Original post)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 11:29 PM

1. What you said. Yea.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 11:34 PM

2. This was all moving testimony. We could give them a dab of money right now by asking

Trump to return the money, intended to reimburse small businesses shut down after 9/11, which he applied for and received.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 02:18 AM

3. The system is more than just a little corrupt.

Dont you know they need that money to maim, brain damage & kill more of our son's and daughters overseas? Did you guys notice how quickly the "withdraw" from Syria and Afghanistan was reversed?

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 02:35 AM

4. What you say yeah. Look out for yourself because this government will not.

They all should have been given respirators from the beginning. The first ones out, stop we got you respirator masks from the local hardware.

A New York thing, a national thing. I thought at the time to give them respirators.

Remember Christine Todd Whitman said the air was safe and fuck her forever.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 02:40 PM

5. If only we had national health care!

This kind of special funding would be unnecessary because every person could get needed medical care.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 04:45 PM

6. What's really scary about this is that as patriotic as we claim to be...

Conservatives really throw the most patriotic of us under the bus. And for that, fuck them.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread