HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Magic Mushrooms Could Rep...

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 03:49 PM

Magic Mushrooms Could Replace Antidepressants Within 5 Years

(TMU) — According to researchers from the world’s first psychedelic research center, Centre for Psychedelic Research at London’s Imperial College, psilocybin—or “magic mushrooms”—could replace prescribed antidepressants within five years. The assertion follows similar research from John Hopkins University, which suggests victims of emotional trauma may experience more long-term relief when using natural psilocybin fungi instead of chemical drugs.

Dr. Robin Earhart-Harris, head of the research center, is leading one of the first trials to determine how therapy involving the mushrooms—which are currently illegal in the UK—compares to leading antidepressants. While he won’t pre-judge the study, he did share that the trials have resulted in a cathartic emotional “release.” He compared this to the dulled, “blunted” effect of prescribed antidepressants. It is the first of many studies planned at London’s Imperial College.

For the trial, 60 participants with moderate to severe depression will be given psilocybin treatment. They will be accompanied by a therapy session with a clinical psychologist. Participants will be randomly allocated to receive either the fungi or the placebo. Neither the researchers nor the participants will know who is in each group.

The effects of taking psilocybin will be compared with the antidepressant escitalopram. The drug is a type of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). It accounts for the largest percent of the antidepressant market.

More: https://themindunleashed.com/2019/06/magic-mushrooms-replace-antidepressants-5-years.html?fbclid=IwAR244P9PD7oNbzQdZGrwnZlgdhb2EJTCEZV2rGx-50c_QEbxZIRe0CQ2VdY

12 replies, 925 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Magic Mushrooms Could Replace Antidepressants Within 5 Years (Original post)
Quixote1818 Jun 2019 OP
safeinOhio Jun 2019 #1
Skittles Jun 2019 #3
safeinOhio Jun 2019 #9
Skittles Jun 2019 #10
calguy Jun 2019 #2
happybird Jun 2019 #4
MuseRider Jun 2019 #5
liberaltrucker Jun 2019 #6
Doreen Jun 2019 #7
Smackdown2019 Jun 2019 #8
ProudLib72 Jun 2019 #12
xmas74 Jun 2019 #11

Response to Quixote1818 (Original post)

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 04:03 PM

1. I know this

The pills that mother gave you, didn’t do anything at all.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to safeinOhio (Reply #1)

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 04:09 PM

3. Alice knows

Reply to this post

Response to Skittles (Reply #3)

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 07:04 PM

9. I'll go ask her.

Reply to this post

Response to safeinOhio (Reply #9)

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 07:37 PM

10. just remember what the dormouse said

yes INDEED

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 04:08 PM

2. I can remember, back in the day.....

I consumed more than my fair share of magic mushrooms. And I can't ever recall a time when I was depressed while under the "spell".

Reply to this post

Response to calguy (Reply #2)

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 04:23 PM

4. Yep,

and no nasty side effects (except maybe a brief bit of an upset stomach) and no dangerous withdrawals, unlike with antidepressants. I'm excited to see the research moving forward.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 04:34 PM

5. Only side effect I remember

is vomiting. Big time at first then smooth. That may be mostly me, I have a tendency to do that. It was worth it.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 04:41 PM

6. I've been taking Effexor for about 15 years

Sounds promising IF I can get through withdrawal from it.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 05:01 PM

7. Yeah, years and years ago when I ate them

I went to my refrigerator and the bottle of orange juice was laughing and pointing at me. I started laughing and left the kitchen then and came back 15 minutes later and it was still laughing and pointing at me. I just pointed at it and laughed my ass off for the next 2 minutes. Yes, magic mushrooms can make you happy.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 05:49 PM

8. Trump loves them!

He uses them on a daily basis that he keeps believing he signed an agreement with Mexico.

Reply to this post

Response to Smackdown2019 (Reply #8)

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 09:26 PM

12. Here is Stormy pointing out the mushroom she saw when she was "with" Rump

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 09:23 PM

11. I won't be allowed, nor any of my clients.

I work in mental health. We have several guardians expressing interest in medical marijuana since the registry is opening shortly. (Missouri) We are not allowed to discuss it and if mentioned to us we are to redirect or ignore. We receive federal aid so we can't allow it in our facilities and if staff applies for the registry they will be terminated.

It's idiotic but if this is the rule for weed no way they will be open to shrooms.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread