HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Here is what I wish for i...

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 05:10 PM

Here is what I wish for immigrants:

I wish they would give them their own town. We have lots of open land. Find an abandoned town and give these people a place to live where they can build their own town, and start their own businesses, and have schools for the kids.

They are just needing a safe place to live and work.

15 replies, 544 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply Here is what I wish for immigrants: (Original post)
leftyladyfrommo Jun 2019 OP
ProudLib72 Jun 2019 #1
MichMan Jun 2019 #3
ProudLib72 Jun 2019 #5
Xipe Totec Jun 2019 #2
WhiskeyGrinder Jun 2019 #4
leftyladyfrommo Jun 2019 #8
WhiskeyGrinder Jun 2019 #10
leftyladyfrommo Jun 2019 #11
WhiskeyGrinder Jun 2019 #12
leftyladyfrommo Jun 2019 #14
highmindedhavi Jun 2019 #6
Igel Jun 2019 #9
Turin_C3PO Jun 2019 #13
highmindedhavi Jun 2019 #15
leftyladyfrommo Jun 2019 #7

Response to leftyladyfrommo (Original post)

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 05:15 PM

1. Like Detroit?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ProudLib72 (Reply #1)

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 05:55 PM

3. How do you plan on evicting all the current residents ?

Reply to this post

Response to MichMan (Reply #3)

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 06:41 PM

5. It lost a million plus inhabitants. There must be abandoned houses

Detroit, the most populous city in Michigan and the Metro Detroit area, serves as a vital port connecting the Great Lakes to the Saint Lawrence Seaway. Detroit is also known as the traditional automotive center of the world, and its name is synonymous for the US auto industry, as well as its musical legacies, which have earned it the nicknames Motor City and Motown. As of 2016, Detroit's estimated population is just over 677,000, a steep decline from a peak of over 1.8 million in the 1950s.

Detroit's population in 2000 was 951,270, which dropped to only 713,777 by 2010. In 2016, the city's estimated population was 677,116.
http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities/detroit-population/

The infrastructure already exists. It wouldn't be like plopping them down in a ghost town without water or electricity.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 05:26 PM

2. Immigrant Song

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 05:59 PM

4. "Their own town"? Separate but equal?

Reply to this post

Response to WhiskeyGrinder (Reply #4)

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 08:13 PM

8. It's just someplace to build a beginning. nt

Reply to this post

Response to leftyladyfrommo (Reply #8)

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 08:20 PM

10. What's prompting this? In the vast majority of cases, they seem to be doing well where they are.

Reply to this post

Response to WhiskeyGrinder (Reply #10)

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 08:23 PM

11. You mean the people stuck in Mexico?

Doesn't sound to me like they are doing too well. The countries these people are fleeing are a huge mess. There is no work or food.

Reply to this post

Response to leftyladyfrommo (Reply #11)

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 08:39 PM

12. Okay, are you talking about migrants? In other countries?

Reply to this post

Response to WhiskeyGrinder (Reply #12)

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 09:01 PM

14. I was thinking about all the people fleeing the

South American countries that are such a mess right now.

As the weather gets more extreme there will be lots of people all over trying to get to safety. We need to find a workable solution.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 06:44 PM

6. Has this ever happened anywhere before?

Reply to this post

Response to highmindedhavi (Reply #6)

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 08:20 PM

9. Yeah, actually.

Just not recently, unless you count Israel and a few places in the Ottoman Empire.

The Ottomans had a thing for not brooking uppity ethnicities in their borders. They'd pick up villages and move them, producing a patchwork of ethnicities that had no sense of community and solidarity. You could find a fair number of Circassians in Palestine pre-WWII. They started out in their own villages.

Israel had kibbutzim--not just because Jews stuck together, but because from WWI to WWII there was the original intifada and a number of pogroms that killed scores of Jews. And then there was the whole "Jews can't own property" thing, so they tended to stick to fairly isolated, loathsome areas. Nobody cared if they occupied ground nobody wanted.

Something similar happened in places in the US midwest, from the Texas Hill Country northwards, with Czech (okay, Moravian, not Czech settlers in the late 1800s, and Amish/Mennonite folk from Europe and esp. parts of Russia/Ukraine.

In the case of the Ottomans and the Moravians, the populations were assimilated, but it took a few generations. In the case of Israel, there was ethnic flipping, but that had it's own genesis.

It was the same with the Avars and, later, with the Bulgars. They were assimilated.

You get this kind of thing very clearly in the archeological record. In Hungary, for instance, you find villages in the 600s and 700s that were culturally different from the surrounding villages. Eventually they grew in importance and flipped the area to Magyar. The same happened with Slavs in the Balkans. In the case of some of the countries, the Slavs won; in the case of what later became Greece, the Greeks won (with a lot of Slavic influence).

Later, you see the same effect with Germanic tribes pushing east of the Elbe, leading to the loss of Sorbian as a language and a retreat of Slavs to the east. The same thing happened with Germanic folk pushing south into Karintia, cutting off southwest Slavic from Czech and Lekhitic. You get a lot of West Slavic names embedded in German toponyms and even surnames. Of course, Sorbian is a mostly dead language, all its speakers (both upper and lower Sorbian) are bilingual with German and typically favor German. Sorbian's sort of a boutique, hot-house language.

Note that in these areas to some extent the earlier populations were replaced; to some extent they were assimilated by the immigrants.

Strictly speaking, it's how much territory on the East Coast was flipped to European. Europeans would move in, occupy otherwise unoccupied area. There'd be a tussle over resources, often with the Native Americans attacking the newly native Americans, or with the immigrants wanting to take more land for their expansion. Then there'd be fights, a kind of low-grade insurgency, and then war. The history of humanity does not smile favorably upon two ethnicities living in real close proximity: It leads to war and cleansing, war and genocide, or assimilation (possibly one sided, possibly a kind of merger, possibly something in between).

Even in Switzerland, Romansch is pretty much moribund.

Reply to this post

Response to Igel (Reply #9)

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 08:46 PM

13. Interesting post.

I always learn stuff here on DU

Reply to this post

Response to Turin_C3PO (Reply #13)

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 09:17 PM

15. Agree, very good info thanks

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 08:11 PM

7. Probably never happen.

These people are just looking for a chance to live a peaceful life.

We have an amazing Somali area here in KCMO. They really help each other build a life. They never stay on public assistance longer than they have to. They live in the Northeast part of town. Housing is really cheap there. You can buy an old two story bungalow for probably $20,000. Then they help each other fix the houses up. It has really worked.

I was just dreaming, I guess. These people are just trying to find a safe place to live. A lot of the Hispanics I see here are really hard workers. They build houses, put on roofs, help put in new utility lines.

They just need a place . And some help with utilities and some other basic stuff. They will do the rest themselves.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread