HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Why Trump can't fill the ...

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 08:02 AM

Why Trump can't fill the gaping holes in his government

Analysis by Zachary B. Wolf, CNN

Updated 8:31 AM ET, Sun June 23, 2019

(CNN) - You're fired! You're hired! That's it.

It was so seamless on The Apprentice. But that was TV. In the real world, as President, things are much more difficult for Donald Trump, which is how the US comes to be facing the possibility of military action against Iran without a confirmed Secretary of Defense.

It's also how the US is facing what Trump calls a national emergency at the border with Mexico without a permanent Secretary of Homeland Security.

And on the flip side, it's why Trump is stuck with the Federal Reserve Board Chairman he nominated in 2017 but has since soured on and routinely vilifies for not cutting interest rates.

Since taking office, Trump has blown through West Wing staffers and Cabinet secretaries at a rate unprecedented in modern US politics.

He's a mercurial boss -- high on an aide or Cabinet secretary one day and ready to fire them the next, which means he's been through multiple principals and understudies and still can't find the right fit for key cast members.

more
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/23/politics/trump-cabinet-vacancies-apprentice/index.html

10 replies, 912 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why Trump can't fill the gaping holes in his government (Original post)
DonViejo Jun 2019 OP
secondwind Jun 2019 #1
DinahMoeHum Jun 2019 #2
ProudMNDemocrat Jun 2019 #3
riversedge Jun 2019 #4
dalton99a Jun 2019 #5
SallyHemmings Jun 2019 #6
dameatball Jun 2019 #7
keithbvadu2 Jun 2019 #8
Mc Mike Jun 2019 #9
LiberalFighter Jun 2019 #10

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 08:04 AM

1. And .............

He never will.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 08:08 AM

2. Hey, it's really simple.

No self-respecting would-be government employee wants this black spot on their resume.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 08:09 AM

3. Trump hires the BEST people?

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 08:13 AM

4. "Acting gives you much greater flexibility. A lot easier to do things. So that's the way it is," Tru

I very idea the trump would get re-elected is beyond the pale.

A difficult boss

Many see Trump's embrace of temporary staffers in top Cabinet roles as an effort to subvert the Senate's Constitutional role of "advice and consent" in who runs government agencies. And there's probably something to that; he's loathe to let his secretaries testify before Congress.

But Trump has also embraced it for roles that don't require Senate confirmation. Acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney has been acting in that role since December of 2018.

"Acting gives you much greater flexibility. A lot easier to do things. So that's the way it is," Trump said when asked about the situation.
Part of it may be the same reason Trump no longer has a communications director or that his press secretary (still Sarah Sanders, who is resigning at the end of the month) hasn't given a press briefing in more than 100 days. And why he hasn't made any move to replace former Fox News executive Bill Shine as communications director, a role most infamously held by financier Anthony Scaramucci for just ten days.

Trump sees himself as defense secretary, homeland security secretary, press secretary and communications director. For a man who made his living putting his own name on buildings, there is only room for his own opinion.

And that's probably why he's so galled by Jerome Powell, the Fed chairman who has yet to cut interest rates as Trump has demanded.
But there's little Trump can do. The law makes clear that the Fed chairman serves in that role for four years. Powell assumed the role in early 2018.........................................

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 08:19 AM

5. The positions are vacant by design

“I like acting because I can move so quickly. It gives me more flexibility,” Trump said in a February interview with CBS's “Face the Nation.”

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 08:37 AM

6. And he is an incompetent boob

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 08:39 AM

7. Can "acting" cabinet members take part in a possible 25th Amendment action or not ?

Maybe there's a reason for so many vacancies.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 10:36 AM

8. 'I'm The Only One That Matters,' Trump Says Of State Dept. Job Vacancies

'I'm The Only One That Matters,' Trump Says Of State Dept. Job Vacancies
November 3, 2017

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/03/561797675/im-the-only-one-that-matters-trump-says-of-state-dept-job-vacancies
----------------------------------
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212212668

Guess who said this today: "the only one who matters is me"
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/22/trump-praises-john-bolton-iran-1376707

After calling Bolton a "hawk," Trump added, "I have other people that don’t take that posture, but the only one that matters is me."

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 10:52 AM

9. Runs the exec branch like his shitty reality tv show and businesses.

Putin is pleased.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 11:42 AM

10. The writer apparently doesn't know that DT

Didn't make any real decisions except what production wanted him to say.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread