HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The media need to stop hy...

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:09 AM

The media need to stop hyperventilating every time Trump says something racist

Last edited Mon Jul 29, 2019, 08:24 PM - Edit history (1)

Each time he does it - you know, every other day - the press jumps up and down like he's done something unusual or shocking. But Trump making racist comments is no longer unusual or shocking. It's just Trump being Trump.

But every time he makes a racist remark, the press chases after it like a new red herring, analyzes it, questions other people about it, etc., drawing attention away from what he's actually doing.

They need to stop.

Trump saying racist things is nothing new. It's just who he is. It shouldn't generate any extraordinary attention. When he says something racist, they should just report that Trump said something racist again, and then move on.

Some may say that this approach only normalizes Trump's behavior. But, in this instance, it needs to be normalized - at least to the extent that it should be clear to everyone that racism is Trump's normal behavior. He's a racist. Period. So, naturally, he behaves and talks like one. That shouldn't surprise or shock anyone Behaving like it's something extraordinary each time he does it only serves to minimize just how consistently, insidiously, and naturally racist the president of the United States is.

"Donald Trump tweeted something racist today ... Again. Of course he did. Because he's a racist.

"Now let's go back to talking about the fact that a racist is president of the United States."

62 replies, 2162 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 62 replies Author Time Post
Reply The media need to stop hyperventilating every time Trump says something racist (Original post)
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 OP
el_bryanto Jul 2019 #1
tavernier Jul 2019 #18
johnp3907 Jul 2019 #2
dalton99a Jul 2019 #3
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #13
LuvLoogie Jul 2019 #4
GusBob Jul 2019 #5
spanone Jul 2019 #6
Hoyt Jul 2019 #7
pwb Jul 2019 #8
MineralMan Jul 2019 #9
Caliman73 Jul 2019 #27
global1 Jul 2019 #10
dalton99a Jul 2019 #12
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #16
HopeAgain Jul 2019 #31
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #34
global1 Jul 2019 #36
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #38
GeorgeGist Jul 2019 #11
Chemisse Jul 2019 #35
melman Jul 2019 #48
Caliman73 Jul 2019 #14
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #19
Caliman73 Jul 2019 #29
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #32
Hortensis Jul 2019 #15
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #17
Hortensis Jul 2019 #21
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #22
Hortensis Jul 2019 #50
LanternWaste Jul 2019 #30
Chemisse Jul 2019 #42
lunasun Jul 2019 #20
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #24
Cracklin Charlie Jul 2019 #23
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #25
Takket Jul 2019 #26
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #28
Takket Jul 2019 #33
RobinA Jul 2019 #37
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #40
uponit7771 Jul 2019 #39
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #41
uponit7771 Jul 2019 #44
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #49
Downtown Hound Jul 2019 #43
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #46
babylonsister Jul 2019 #45
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #47
jpak Jul 2019 #51
Tiggeroshii Jul 2019 #52
EffieBlack Jul 2019 #53
yardwork Jul 2019 #54
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #57
uponit7771 Jul 2019 #59
yardwork Jul 2019 #61
treestar Jul 2019 #55
Vinca Jul 2019 #56
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #58
cwydro Jul 2019 #60
StarfishSaver Jul 2019 #62

Response to StarfishSaver (Original post)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:16 AM

1. I'm not sure I can go along with this

Trump may be an aberration as Hitler was an aberration - but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't fight hard to make sure people recognize how awful he is - and part of that awfulness is his racism.

And it's just as likely that like Reagan (or Goldwater before him) Trump is more of a harbinger - it's not like the you can't draw a pretty straight line from Reagan to Trump (although GW Bush may not have said as many awful things, he had surrogates say them for him).

I think staying quiet says that Trump is essentially right; we are a racist white-nationalist nation and we need to appeal to racism in order to proceed.

Bryant

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to el_bryanto (Reply #1)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:52 AM

18. Agree

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:18 AM

3. Racist behavior from a president cannot be ignored.

Reply to this post

Response to dalton99a (Reply #3)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:43 AM

13. I didn't say ignore it. I said stop behaving as if it's something new for him

Report on it and then move on. But harping on it at the expense of everything else he's doing isn't going to change anything or draw any more attention to it.

He's a racist so of course he says racist things. The only reason it would be shocking is if it's something new or out of character.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:21 AM

4. So we should all just shut up and take it?

I thought that was the GOP's job.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:23 AM

5. I would not limit that to just his racist comments

Trump indicated at his "social media summit" (lol) that he purposely posts things to punch buttons with the media, bragging how his tweets are breaking news. His tweets are everywhere, all the time after all. Even on DU

The more inflammatory, vituperative and invective they are, the more airplay they get. He is playing the media and political watchers like a fiddle

The worse thing about the racist stuff is: he will never apologize. While his harsh language grates our ears, it is music to his followers. They can think, speak, believe and act in racist fashion because he makes it OK

In a sense he and the media are normalizing racism

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:25 AM

6. Disagree 1000%. Expose him at every level possible.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:25 AM

7. Racism and bigotry got him elected the first time. So, agree, nothing unusual, but still deplorable.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:26 AM

8. Trump plays the media like a fiddle . Again.

And the Media falls for it every time.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:27 AM

9. I disagree. I think every instance of racism in his tweets and remarks

needs to be at the top of the news. I think we should all be hyperventilating about that.

Reply to this post

Response to MineralMan (Reply #9)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:07 PM

27. I could do without the hyperventilation.

Hyperventilation is when you cannot control your breathing because of fear or anxiety. We should be clear and calm but strong in our condemnation of his ignorant and racially charged statements. No panic, no hyperventilation, just a clear, scornful reporting of the information presented.

I agree wholeheartedly that every statement should be reported on by every reputable outlet. The framing is very important. It is a pattern with this idiot that his go to vile, racially charged, personal attacks on people. When I am upset, I don't say sexist or racist things. I certainly know about racist and sexist things, I was exposed frequently as a young person, but I have actively fought against that learning. Trump just goes with it, First Thing, if you piss him off as a woman he goes after your looks and your racial identity. Who does that? A sexist and a racist.

Trump says, "I'm the least racist person you ever met" Bullshit, your words and thoughts say different. This is the framing that is needed:

"Trump has said repeatedly that he is not racist and not sexist, here are the last 45 statements he has made that contain sexist or racist language. Here is the latest"

No panel discussions, no "analysis", just report it and show the pattern against the backdrop of his claims. "Says not a racist....10 racist things he said in the last month". "Says he respects women...10 misogynistic things he said in the last month". Let the viewers decide if they believe the one time he denies it or the 100 times he shows his sexism and racism.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:34 AM

10. The Problem With Normalizing Trump's Racist Behavior Is That It.....

normalizes racism for his followers. It imbeds that behavior in a large portion of the American People - the Deplorables - and cements that sentiment to the point that they feel it is acceptable to be racist.

Yesterday I attended a family picnic. It blew my mind that many of my cousins (I'm 70y/o) believe that these immigrants coming across the border are taking away jobs from their adult children and grandchildren.

When I explored that belief with them - I was able to get them to agree that these people did not have the credentials to take away jobs from their children and grandchildren. Their children and grandchildren have college degrees or professions that none of these immigrants are qualified for. They are teachers, nurses, physical therapists, geologists, etc. There is no threat. Yet their perception was that their children and grandchildren had to compete with the immigrants for jobs.

Even though I was able to illustrate to them that their beliefs were unfounded - they wouldn't concede that these people being kept in cages at the border where a threat to them. I just couldn't believe how deep-seated their beliefs are and I left the picnic (I couldn't get away fast enough) with the feeling that we're going to have another 4 years of Trump.

Reply to this post

Response to global1 (Reply #10)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:36 AM

12. +1. Your first paragraph makes an important point

Reply to this post

Response to global1 (Reply #10)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:47 AM

16. I'm not saying we normalize it

I'm saying stop treating it as if it's not normal for him.

And do you think that harping on it all day, every day is going to affect his supporters in any way?

I say cover it not as "OMG! Trump said something RACIST! How outrageous" but as "Trump said something racist again because he's a racist."

We're long past the point of being shocked that Trump says racist things. What we should be focusing on is the fact that the president of United States is a racist.

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #16)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:10 PM

31. "We're long past the point of being shocked"

Apparently, so were many Germans when the Nazis took over.

The other stuff, like Russian collusion, trade fiascos and climate change doesn't seem to catch the apathetic public's attention no matter how it is reported. This may be the only stuff that spreads outrage enough to get him thrown out.

Reply to this post

Response to HopeAgain (Reply #31)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:15 PM

34. What a ridiculous comparison

But perhaps if people had focused more on the big picture - that Hitler and the Nazis were a dangerous regime intent on world domination and exterminating the Jews - instead of arguing about whether Hitler's latest speech was really anti-Semitic or just pro-Germany, things might have turned out differently.

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #16)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:16 PM

36. You're Saying "Stop Treating It As If It's Not Normal For Him...." That's Just Another Way.....

of saying racism is normal for him and as such it normalizes his behavior and the behavior of those that follow him.

The way they should cover it is like I'm seeing today. Call it like it is - Trump is a racist. Point that out with every instance he makes a racist statement or tweet. Point out how that is not acceptable of a person that calls himself a president or an American for that matter.

Point out that if you support Trump - by your support - you are a racist too. Pin that moniker on his supporters. Make them tell us that they are not racist.

Reply to this post

Response to global1 (Reply #36)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:21 PM

38. No, saying that his racist comments are normal for a racist is not normalizing him

Acting surprised that he says racist things is actually the normalization. When normal people say racist things, that's shocking. When racists say racist things, that's not it shouldn't be shocking. That doesn't mean that racism is normal and certainly doesn't normalize racism. That means that racist say racist things, so why are we surprised that Trump, a racist, said something racist again today? Of course he says racist things. He's a racist.

That's not normalizing him. That's longer treating him like a normal person who keeps saying stupid things.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:35 AM

11. You want to normalize this shit?

Is that Nancy's plan?

Reply to this post

Response to GeorgeGist (Reply #11)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:16 PM

35. Why would you ask if that's Nancy's plan?

If you want to know her thoughts on it, just look at the statement she made about it.

Reply to this post

Response to GeorgeGist (Reply #11)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:46 PM

48. Yeah

I think you hit on the real point of this thread. It's all about Nancy vs the Squad

the new talking point...

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:46 AM

14. Respectfully disagree.

I understand what you are saying about the way that the media covers his comments. They cover it in a sensationalist way and then "discuss" it giving equal weight to "both sides" OR having all the pundits condemn the statements but then pivot on to some other normalization or positive thing so that they can be seen as "balanced".

I think that his comments need to continue to be covered but I disagree strongly with how they are framed. This "condemnation" is soft and ridiculous. Trump needs to be called what he is, unfit to be the President of the United States. The Republicans also need to be called out for not condemning the racist remarks or say that they must approve if they do not call it out.

Rather than have stupid panels "discussing" his statements and "guessing" how it will affect ... whoever, the reporter should just say, "Donald Trump made a statement that either showed his ignorance and apathy toward facts, or that he is a racist liar."

Then they can show the tweet. Then say, "The president either did not know or did not care that these women are all citizens and 3 of the 4 are natural born citizens. His statement portrays the Congresswomen as being 'other' and 'foreign' instead of addressing their critique of his administration".

Reply to this post

Response to Caliman73 (Reply #14)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:54 AM

19. I didn't say his comments shouldn't be covered

But they shouldn't be covered in the way the press is doing it now. it's crazy to focus so much attention on what specifically he said today - instead they should focus on the fact that once again he said something that's fully and keeping with who he is: an out and out racist.

Yes, his comments are outrageous if they were to come from a normal person. But they're not outrageous coming from him - he's a bigot and that's how bigots communicate, so why act surprised that he said something racist again today.

The issue is not that Trump said something racist. The issue is that a racist is president of the United States.

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #19)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:09 PM

29. With that I agree.

Show the pattern against the backdrop of his stupid denials and let the viewers see the contrast.

Reply to this post

Response to Caliman73 (Reply #29)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:11 PM

32. Yes.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:46 AM

15. This OP strikes me as strange. Don't follow your reasoning. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Hortensis (Reply #15)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:51 AM

17. By making a big deal over the fact that Trump said something racist again

We downplay the very real issue - not that Trump says racist things, but that he's a racist.

The issue isn't what he says, it's what he is. The press keeps acting as if what he says is shocking. Why should anyone be shocked at this point that a racist says racist things? Of course he says racist things. He's a racist. That should be the story, not what he says on any given day - which he does because he knows it draws attention off of the big picture and focuses everyone on parsing what words he chose today.

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #17)

21. Say something often enough and people will believe it.

It works.

Trump constantly tells the nation hoards of criminals are crossing our borders illegally and many believe and fear. Sanders used that simple tactic to convince his followers dozens of state Democratic parties were stealing elections from him. And both are still using this technique -- because it works on vulnerable minds, all those who want to believe and many more who wouldn't have without this kind of "help."

This power can be used for both good and evil. So IMO, yes, we want the press telling the nation whenever Trump hurts our highly diverse nation by exercising his racist attitudes and behaviors.

Reply to this post

Response to Hortensis (Reply #21)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:58 AM

22. You're misunderstanding my point

I never said the press shouldn't report what he says - if course they should.

But they need to stop treating it as if it's something new from him or somehow out of character. Of COURSE he says racist things. He's a racist. Report what he says, but frame it within the context that he's a racist, not within the context that he SAID something racist.

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #22)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 04:51 PM

50. Gotcha. Difference between news and analysis, though.

If you look, you'll see lots of analysts calling his behaviors racist, while the news reports incidents of racist behaviors. Within the constraints of corrupted employers, as it should be.

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #17)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:09 PM

30. Can you provide any data to support that conclusion?

"We downplay the very real issue - not that Trump says racist things, but that he's a racist."

Can you provide any data or objective measure to support the conclusion that we downplay his racism in favor of prioritizing his racist statements?

Reply to this post

Response to Hortensis (Reply #15)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:25 PM

42. I understand the reasoning, I think.

Trump pushes the racism button to get a reaction and we all react, right on cue. His base apparently likes it.

In addition, he often uses this tactic to change the subject. And it does, often in a way that is very handy for him.

So there are definitely arguments to be made for minimizing the reactions.

But the other side of the argument, of course, is that then racism is 'normalized,' which we find to be unthinkable.

It's hard to win.

Reply to this post

20. Nope . More needs to be said not less . Glad people like May are commenting from afar . Sad about

the silence seekers here at home who destroy our image worldwide by ignoring the comments and in a way show support for his white supremacy by looking the other way

It reflects on the whole country when a POTUS speaks like this and also when itís accpted as just another day in the US by itís citizens with out comment

I notice a lot of apathy here saying this is not new he has been doing it since he ran in 16 and before -so what who cares
Ok then they have have normalized the racist language then imo

Reply to this post

Response to lunasun (Reply #20)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:02 PM

24. More needs to be said about his racism, not what he said today

Because tomorrow, he'll say something else and everyone will forget about what he said today, and so on. If the press keeps treating his individual comments like one-offs with lives of their own that should be parsed and analyzed on an individual basis, people lose sight of the bigger picture: the president of the United States is a hardcore racist.

The larger narrative is what's important here - it's the forest and his commenta are some of the trees.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:02 PM

23. Agree.

For one thing, it cannot even be proven that he wrote the stupid tweets.

There are many more reasons than this to ignore the presidentís toilet proclamations.

Reply to this post

Response to Cracklin Charlie (Reply #23)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:03 PM

25. I'm not saying to ignore them. But stop treating them like they're an aberration for him

Of course he says racist things. Because he's a racist. THAT's the issue.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:05 PM

26. We shouldn't be normalizing his behavior.

What they need to do is stop acting like this is some one-off out of the blue occurrence. Treat it like it is.... the latest thing in a long established and well documented history of these comments.

Reply to this post

Response to Takket (Reply #26)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:07 PM

28. That's my point.

But we should also "normalize" his behavior in the sense of making clear that this behavior is perfectly normal for him. That's not the same as normalizing it in the sense of acting as if it's ok or no big deal. It is a big deal. But the reason it is a big deal is not that he says these things but that it's what he actually thinks because he is truly a racist.

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #28)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:12 PM

33. I totally agree.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:17 PM

37. I Wish They'd All

just STFU. I'm sick of the name-calling, the insults back and forth, the taking each other to task for this or that...it's worse than an elementary school playground. Much worse. Get to work, negotiate, make deals, and legislate. Pointing out each other's bad behavior is not negotiating, it's the opposite.

Reply to this post

Response to RobinA (Reply #37)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:22 PM

40. What does this have to do with my OP about Trump's racism?

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:21 PM

39. If 80% of America thought Red Don was a racist then the OP would be on point but it's mostly white

... journalist on TV who still think he's doing this for political means and Red Don isn't really a racist to the core.

Most analysis doesn't even consider Red Don's racism as a motivator for his actions.

Reply to this post

Response to uponit7771 (Reply #39)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:23 PM

41. "Most analysis doesn't even consider Red Don's racism as a motivator for his actions'

And therein lies the problem.

They keep treating Trump's racist comments as some kind of an aberration when it's actually just who he is

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #41)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:29 PM

44. +1, looks like a slim majority of American's think Red Don is a racist. Media needs to do a better

... job at presenting Red Don as making racist policies

WHOA !!!

Epstein has a safe with a passport in it

Reply to this post

Response to uponit7771 (Reply #44)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:46 PM

49. I see what you did there

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:28 PM

43. Yes, it's who he is. And no, we should not stop freaking out over it. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Downtown Hound (Reply #43)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:43 PM

46. We should be freaking over what and who he is, not what he says on any given day

His comments come and go and today's comment will be replaced by tomorrow's (and largely forgotten). But he is who he is and that doesn't change. We should focus on that.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:43 PM

45. I disagree. Ignoring his racism normalizes him.

Maybe they need to make more of an issue of his racism, every. single. day.

Reply to this post

Response to babylonsister (Reply #45)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 12:45 PM

47. I'm not saying to ignore his racism. Just the opposite

But focusing on what he says every day instead of who he is DOES cause people to ignore what he is - a degenerate racist -

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 04:54 PM

51. Down Rec

x1,000,000

Yup

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 04:55 PM

52. Feels like a catch 22

If they ignore it, they are "normalizing" him. If they call it out, they are giving him lots of free attention....

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 16, 2019, 07:28 AM

53. Deadline Whitehouse gets it, too

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 16, 2019, 07:30 AM

54. I disagree. The media is beginning to report what Trump actually is.

For the first time, I see headlines stating that Trump is racist.

Reply to this post

Response to yardwork (Reply #54)

Tue Jul 16, 2019, 08:02 AM

57. That's my point

Stop expressing shock about what he says. Of course he says these things. He's a racist and that's what racists do, so stop acting surprised that he said something racist. Focus instead on the fact that he IS a racist.

The problem isn't that the president tweets racist things. The problem is that the president IS a racist. Talk about that instead of obsessively analyzing everything he says (which diverts attention from the real issue: his racism, not how he expressed it). It looks like the media is starting to do that.

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #57)

Tue Jul 16, 2019, 08:12 AM

59. The media should scream "THIS IS WRONG" when Red Don attacks America's strength. I do get

... your point that the media as a whole needs to do a better job of weaving Trumps racism into the story they tell about Red Don and his motivations.

I also don't like the fact that he can say something racist to get the media's attention off of some stories, I didn't know Ocasta quit.

Also

Red Don's actions need to be labeled because redefining Red Don's actions is the NUMBER ONE defense of him his cultist have right now; they need to redefine his bad character as a excuse to support him.

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #57)

Tue Jul 16, 2019, 01:00 PM

61. After so much denial and normalizing in the part of the media, correction will take stages.

I agree that it's absurd to pretend we didn't know Trump was a racist decades ago, but this is the media we have.

Apparently they have to work their way through a pretend-shock stage. Maybe after they acknowledge his racism, they'll move on to all the other bigotries he embraces.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 16, 2019, 07:31 AM

55. On another thread DUers suggest he did it for distraction

Though planning things is not his strong suit, so it's not for certain. But he has media savvy.

But he wants the media not speculating about Epstein. So he tweets something outrageous and gets the coverage onto that.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 16, 2019, 07:36 AM

56. No. They need to make a big fucking deal out of his racist comments, but they also need to make a

big fucking deal about things like rape allegations. Two weeks on Joe Biden's hair sniffing, 2 days on Trump's rape accusation.

Reply to this post

Response to Vinca (Reply #56)

Tue Jul 16, 2019, 08:06 AM

58. They need to make a big deal if his racism. His comments are just evidence of it

Instead, they treat them as a thing unto themselves.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 16, 2019, 08:17 AM

60. Nope.

No normalizing this awful man and his awful followers.

It should be called out every single time.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 29, 2019, 08:24 PM

62. Kick

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread