HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Medium: Believe People of...

Fri Jul 19, 2019, 09:41 PM

Medium: Believe People of Color When it Comes to Racism

Believe People of Color When it Comes to Racism

A good guideline for all white people who are striving to be anti racist: if a person of color says something on the subject of racism, white supremacy, white privilege, white fragility, or related topic that confuses you or causes you an extreme emotional reaction, don’t react. Don’t ask them to explain, don’t disagree, and please dear God, don’t give them the dictionary definition of sociopolitical terms like “racism.” Keep in mind that most people of color are waaaay more educated than we are on the subject and also LIVE these experiences every day while we white people truly can’t even imagine what the experience of racism is like. (Being picked on for being different in middle school is not comparable to generations of terrorism and systemic oppression.)

We white people have to stop inserting ourselves to say ‘This isn’t racist. They aren’t racist.’ We have stop speaking over people of color about issues of race to say, ‘I don’t think this is about race.’ We have to stop especially using the words of other people of color to uphold any argument that something isn’t about race.
You know who’s really good at understanding and predicting the behavior of white people? People of color. Especially black people. In my experience especially, black women. Everything I know and understand about white people I learned from black women.
White people have to stop thinking we can judge what is and isn’t racist. This also goes for, especially goes for, our OWN behaviors. Those are the behaviors we’re going to be LEAST likely to see as racist. Maybe I did something but my intention wasn’t racist. If a person of color tells me that it’s racist, it is. My intention is irrelevant. All it means is that I’m being unintentionally racist. It’s still racist. I still did harm. I still have to self-reflect and excavate whatever led me to say or do the thing that was racist
When we argue, defend our intentions, ask for clarification, and demand that people of color recognize that we’re “good people,” what we neglect to see is that people of color are facing this sort of pushback every single day, multiple times a day, and are having to educate white people in large part because their survival depends on us white people “getting it” sooner rather than later. Can you even imagine how mentally, emotionally, and even physically exhausting that would be?...

https://medium.com/ginnygin/believe-people-of-color-when-it-comes-to-racism-5475b47b0ab2|

10 replies, 1033 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to StarfishSaver (Original post)

Fri Jul 19, 2019, 09:47 PM

1. no no no, we must believe white people that say Trump is not a racist

that there is no racism.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jul 19, 2019, 09:48 PM

2. One of the hallmarks of privilege is that it is so ready to say, "I haven't seen what you say you've

experienced, therefore what you say is invalid." It's so, so frustrating. I will say that accepting what oppressed and marginalized people have told me at face value costs me absolutely nothing and helps me leverage my own privilege more powerfully.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 19, 2019, 09:54 PM

3. Needs to be said and heard often.

K&R

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 19, 2019, 10:25 PM

4. If we're really going to talk about "racism" we need to get our terms nailed down.

That's precious difficult. The psychology, the matters of dignity, sympathy, anger, guilt..., the economics of the past that lead to the present...huge issues. Extremely difficult to deal with. The word "racism" can't cover it. It gets in the way, because people defensively adopt different definitions. Everyone defines "racist" as "that thing that is bad that they aren't."

We're not going to be able to just fix it. The best we can do is put ourselves on a multi-generational course to get past the affliction and the crimes. But we have to get on course.

That means everyone being careful to treat everyone else like themselves.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 19, 2019, 10:49 PM

5. I for one am grateful for our fellow DUers who have

taken the time and trouble to talk openly about overt and systemic racism. It has been highly educational because, sadly, it’s true. It feels like a whole new level of discourse and awakening is happen now, daily, in our everyday lives. We white people must be attentive and we must want to make our country truly the land of equals. Getting on the defensive and denying the truth of what people of color are showing us just makes it harder on all of us

Knowing that the “squad” is made up of the longtime oppressed of our country gives me more hope than I ever dared to have. My love and admiration for our colored fellow DUers is solid and hopeful. And I will gladly do my part for the changes that are necessary.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 19, 2019, 11:47 PM

6. Thanks for sharing this! n/t

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 20, 2019, 12:05 AM

7. This is So Important.

This is so important. People need to get it. I was thinking that all that has happened this week was no surprise to my Black friend. I was surprised and shocked because I have been living in a priviledged bubble.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 20, 2019, 12:10 AM

8. And AA women have not been wrong yet on who we should be voting for...even if the person lost.

Gore, Kerry, HRC. They were right then, they are right now. They had the right candidate...we didn't listen.

Reply to this post

Response to richsonpoordad (Reply #8)

Sat Jul 20, 2019, 12:31 AM

10. exactly, all of them have continued to do good after they "lost" and the country

would have been better off if they had been president instead of what we ended up with.

it's also interesting that black women tend to look at a candidate's entire record. they are less likely to fall for the "OMG DID YOU KNOW CANDIDATE X DID ............................" "HOW CAN I VOTE FOR THEM NOW, NO DIFFENCE ETC ETC" .

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 20, 2019, 12:11 AM

9. Considering I have walked around in white skin my entire life, I absolutely defer to their

experiences of life in black or brown skin. We see and read so much bullshit they are forced to endure. We take so much for granted. I can’t imagine what it’s like to worry about your child walking out the front door of your home everyday. The necessity of talking about how to deal with police. And on and on...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread