HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Help me recall...Steele D...

Wed Jul 24, 2019, 12:29 PM

Help me recall...Steele Dossier....

I thought that the Jeb Bush Campaign and a Florida small potatoes newspaper paid and recruited Steele...later...the Clinton Campaign bought the report....

Is this correct?

13 replies, 1354 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Help me recall...Steele Dossier.... (Original post)
FarPoint Jul 2019 OP
brush Jul 2019 #1
FarPoint Jul 2019 #6
Thomas Hurt Jul 2019 #2
underpants Jul 2019 #3
FarPoint Jul 2019 #7
underpants Jul 2019 #10
FarPoint Jul 2019 #13
blogslut Jul 2019 #4
FarPoint Jul 2019 #9
Vinca Jul 2019 #5
donkeypoofed Jul 2019 #8
Liberal In Texas Jul 2019 #11
FarPoint Jul 2019 #12

Response to FarPoint (Original post)

Wed Jul 24, 2019, 12:33 PM

1. Yes, but for over a year now pundits and Dems also have allowed repugs to get away with saying...

that it was originated and funded all by the Clinton campaign. It makes me want to scream every time Dems listen to that lie and don't speak up to refute it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to brush (Reply #1)

Wed Jul 24, 2019, 12:38 PM

6. They do tell lies so often for so long I feel stupid. .

Knowing in my ❤️ heart I understand...

Reply to this post

2. I think it was Jeb's supporters...not actually part of the campaign

not sure about the newspaper part. An attorney for the DNC? picked it up and Trump got the nom. I am not sure where in the timeline Steele began his work.

That said I could be wrong haven't read anything on it in a long time.

Reply to this post

3. Yes funded by publisher of Washington Beacon

Passed thru Jebís PAC
McCain walked it over to the FBI
Ended up at Fusion GPS which took money from Dems but thereís no proof Dem money was used to buy the dossier

Reply to this post

Response to underpants (Reply #3)

Wed Jul 24, 2019, 12:41 PM

7. Thank you....

Validation is healthy!We need to confront the media when they enable the republic lies on this...

Reply to this post

Response to FarPoint (Reply #7)

Wed Jul 24, 2019, 12:48 PM

10. I skipped the step of the law firm

Perkins Coie law firm, which in turn retained the opposition-research firm Fusion GPS

Reply to this post

Response to underpants (Reply #10)

Wed Jul 24, 2019, 05:26 PM

13. Great....

Now I have my facts straight.....

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 24, 2019, 12:34 PM

4. This Wikipedia excerpt is accurate

In October 2015, Fusion GPS was contracted by conservative political website The Washington Free Beacon to provide general opposition research on Trump and other Republican presidential candidates. In April 2016, an attorney for Hillary Clinton's campaign and the DNC separately hired Fusion GPS to investigate Trump, while The Free Beacon stopped its backing in May of 2016. In June 2016, Fusion GPS subcontracted Steele's firm to compile the dossier. DNC officials denied knowing their attorney had contracted with Fusion GPS, and Steele asserted he was not aware the Clinton campaign was the recipient of his research until months after he contracted with Fusion GPS. Following Trump's election as president, funding from Clinton and the DNC ceased, but Steele continued his research and was reportedly paid directly by Fusion GPS co-founder Glenn R. Simpson. While compiling the dossier, Steele passed information to both British and American intelligence services.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump%E2%80%93Russia_dossier

Reply to this post

Response to blogslut (Reply #4)

9. Bravo....

Details are rewarding

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 24, 2019, 12:35 PM

5. Correct, but the media fails to mention that.

Reply to this post

8. It's "Oppo Research" and both parties had a hand in its creation

But this, of course, has nothing to do with the info in the dossier, most of which has been verified by now

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 24, 2019, 01:48 PM

11. Yes, didn't start with the Dems...from NPR:

During the 2016 Republican presidential primaries, the leaders of the conservative news outlet Washington Free Beacon hired a private intelligence company, Fusion GPS, to conduct research into the candidates, including Trump. Early in the year, the Free Beacon's interest in the work lapsed.

So by "early March," Fusion GPS approached the law firm Perkins Coie, which represents the Democratic National Committee, offering to continue its investigations into Trump. In April, the law firm agreed, and it began to underwrite the investigation.

Why is this important? After Fusion GPS was initially hired by conservatives, Democrats paid for the phase of the work that included the compilation of the dossier.

Fusion GPS was founded by a former Wall Street Journal reporter, Glenn Simpson, and operates in Washington, D.C. Among the people it engaged to work on its Trump research was a former British intelligence officer, Christopher Steele, who had spent much of his career as a Russia expert for Britain's MI6. Steele, working in London, retained a network of sources in Russia whom he began to ask about Trump's dealings there.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/25/586040491/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-russia-investigations-the-dossier

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 24, 2019, 04:40 PM

12. Thank you everyone for your input...

Lets confront the pundits and media when the blame this Dossier on Clinton as Primary Originator.....correct them promptly...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread