HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Republicans can't defend ...

Sat Sep 28, 2019, 04:14 AM

Republicans can't defend the indefensible

McCarthy, though he struggles with spoken English, stumbled onto inadvertent honesty: Trump might have done wrong, but McCarthy thinks the transgression isn’t impeachment-worthy. Fair enough. But Trump’s violation of the law is as clear as if he shot somebody on Fifth Avenue. Trump’s partisans are free to choose their president over the law, but make no mistake: This is the choice they face.

“It shall be unlawful for —

(1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make —

(A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election . . .

(2) a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) . . . of paragraph (1) from a foreign national.”

— 52 U.S. Code 30121

“There’s a lot of talk about [Joe] Biden’s son, that Biden stopped the prosecution and a lot of people want to find out about that so whatever you can do with the attorney general would be great. . . . I will have Mr. Giuliani give you a call and I am also going to have Attorney General [William] Barr call and we will get to the bottom of it. I’m sure you will figure it out.”

— President Trump, soliciting a
“thing of value” for his reelection from Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky 
on July 25

But we’re not hearing Republicans defend Trump’s illegal behavior — because there is no defense.

McCarthy simply pretended it didn’t happen. “Let’s be very clear: The president did not ask to investigate Joe Biden,” he told reporters. (Which part of “look into it,” “get to the bottom of it” and “figure it out” did McCarthy not understand?)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-has-fired-the-campaign-law-equivalent-of-a-fifth-avenue-gunshot/2019/09/27/af278664-e13a-11e9-8dc8-498eabc129a0_story.html

11 replies, 1928 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Republicans can't defend the indefensible (Original post)
SunSeeker Sep 2019 OP
Sherman A1 Sep 2019 #1
DFW Sep 2019 #6
Cha Sep 2019 #2
Skittles Sep 2019 #3
Cosmocat Sep 2019 #8
Skittles Sep 2019 #11
Joe941 Sep 2019 #4
gordianot Sep 2019 #5
liberal N proud Sep 2019 #7
Vogon_Glory Sep 2019 #9
Dem4Life1102 Sep 2019 #10

Response to SunSeeker (Original post)

Sat Sep 28, 2019, 04:25 AM

1. I disagree

The seem to be exceptionally good at doing so and have been for years.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Sherman A1 (Reply #1)

Sat Sep 28, 2019, 06:14 AM

6. Bingo

Took the words right out of my mouth.

They are Dr. Brinckley of Heinlein's "Lost Legacy."

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 28, 2019, 04:30 AM

2. McCarthy is a Gaslit, Sociopathic Lying Asshole..

he can't be expected to have any grasp on reality now.. and probably ever again post trump.

Mahalo, SunSeeker

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 28, 2019, 04:40 AM

3. LOL

they have BEEN defending the indefensible for DECADES

Reply to this post

Response to Skittles (Reply #3)

Sat Sep 28, 2019, 06:40 AM

8. This

I am 54.

As a young man in early 90s I was bewildered how fucking barking at the moon crazy these assholes were. My entire adult life, over a quarter century they have lived in a world that does not exist in actual reality, and the more wrong they have been, the more convinced they become of how right they are.

Reply to this post

Response to Cosmocat (Reply #8)

Sat Sep 28, 2019, 04:20 PM

11. I hear you Cosmocat

I was young gal when Reagan came on the scene - I was floored how people were fooled by him - the man made greed and ignorance fashionable - his demonization of the American government help set in motion the events that led to Donald Fucking Trump.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 28, 2019, 04:42 AM

4. But they will try.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 28, 2019, 04:49 AM

5. I no longer remember all the details but the Republicans are starting to sound like the Nixon era.

It is going to take more lives ruined before this turns. Nixon the crook was a choir boy in comparison to Trump. The greater the Republican rage the better. Breaking up is hard to do.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 28, 2019, 06:30 AM

7. Their defense is that it doesn't matter

It doesn't matter to them because they will do anything to maintain power, control.

The republicans are all about control of the government and destruction of the middle class.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 28, 2019, 09:04 AM

9. Today's Republican Party is becoming as corrupt and rotten as Mexico's PRI party

during its latter decades of rule, if they haven’t managed to reach that point already.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 28, 2019, 09:12 AM

10. They will try

They always do

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread