HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Trump could slap steep ta...

Fri Nov 8, 2019, 02:27 PM

Trump could slap steep tariffs on imported cars next week

Weeks after General Motors ended one of its longest strikes in years, the American car industry could be headed for more turbulence.

After an initial six-month delay, President Donald Trump must decide by Nov. 13 whether to follow through with threats to levy tariffs on automobile imports. The U.S. Commerce Department drew backlash from business groups and lawmakers in February after it concluded that car imports pose a threat to national security.

While Trump has continued to threaten the move against Asian and European trading partners, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said over the weekend that the tariffs might not be necessary.

"We have had very good conversations with our European friends, with our Japanese friends, with our Korean friends, and those are the major auto-producing sectors," Ross said in an interview with Bloomberg.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/trump-could-slap-steep-tariffs-on-imported-cars-next-week/ar-BBWqu0k?li=BBnbfcN

2 replies, 387 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump could slap steep tariffs on imported cars next week (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Nov 8 OP
redstatebluegirl Nov 8 #1
Initech Nov 8 #2

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Fri Nov 8, 2019, 03:55 PM

1. Glad we bought our Honda last year.

Our old one died after 175,000 miles. We did it at the end of the year to save some money. Got a decent deal.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to redstatebluegirl (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 8, 2019, 04:04 PM

2. I'm really interested in the Clarity.

I don't think I could afford a Model 3, but having something like a Clarity would be a huge departure from what I am currently used to.

Fuck this administration.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread