HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I just want to remind all...

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 01:43 AM

I just want to remind all Democrats...

... that all ďformerĒ Republican pundits, such as Steve Schmidt, are still speaking from a very conservative point of view, and I would place little value on their opinions. All conservatives seek to motivate from fear, rather than hope.

36 replies, 2386 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 36 replies Author Time Post
Reply I just want to remind all Democrats... (Original post)
Fragment Nov 2019 OP
radical noodle Nov 2019 #1
napi21 Nov 2019 #2
radical noodle Nov 2019 #5
emmaverybo Nov 2019 #14
BigmanPigman Nov 2019 #21
chillfactor Nov 2019 #3
greyl Nov 2019 #4
Name removed Nov 2019 #19
Renew Deal Nov 2019 #6
greyl Nov 2019 #9
Renew Deal Nov 2019 #10
greyl Nov 2019 #11
Renew Deal Nov 2019 #12
NCLefty Nov 2019 #7
Garrett78 Nov 2019 #8
Leith Nov 2019 #15
Garrett78 Nov 2019 #22
Raine Nov 2019 #26
Garrett78 Nov 2019 #36
Gothmog Nov 2019 #13
calimary Nov 2019 #16
Raine Nov 2019 #27
Boomerproud Nov 2019 #29
Fragment Nov 2019 #17
greyl Nov 2019 #18
Name removed Nov 2019 #20
OnDoutside Nov 2019 #23
Fragment Nov 2019 #24
OnDoutside Nov 2019 #31
Raine Nov 2019 #25
tirebiter Nov 2019 #28
JoeOtterbein Nov 2019 #30
gab13by13 Nov 2019 #32
rampartc Nov 2019 #33
gab13by13 Nov 2019 #35
VOX Nov 2019 #34

Response to Fragment (Original post)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 01:48 AM

1. I value their point of view on the campaigns

because they're never trumpers but I wouldn't necessarily listen to them about policy.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 01:48 AM

2. Do you really see Steve Schnidt that way? I think he's one of a very few pundits whose

opinion usually proves to be right.

Reply to this post

Response to napi21 (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 01:50 AM

5. +100

and I may disagree with him on policy but I think he's proven he cares more about the country than about party.

Reply to this post

Response to napi21 (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 02:32 AM

14. I heard him once go into a spiel against Trump and for democratic ideals that was the most eloquent

and genuine statement I had heard up to that point. When partisans go into analysis they are able, if they are good, to put their personal politics aside. Thatís the requirement and they get paid for being able to. Itís enjoyable as an exercise for them too. Michael Steele very insightful. Sometimes Joe quite good. Itís an intellectual capacity.

Reply to this post

Response to emmaverybo (Reply #14)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 04:36 AM

21. I think I recall the time he spoke exceptionally well.

It was fairly recently and was commented on here at DU too.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 01:49 AM

3. sorry but I enjoy

listening to Steve and many other ex-republicans. They have much to contribute.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 01:50 AM

4. That's an unduly fragmented, black and white view of the American people.

The things most conservatives and progressives do agree about are the most important things. The culture conflicts are exaggerated and amplified by those who benefit from dividing the aforementioned 99%.

Reply to this post

Response to greyl (Reply #4)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 01:51 AM

6. This is an interesting topic, especially if Trump suddenly isn't the nominee.

Right now the Schmidtís, Rubinís, Frumís, and Wilsonís of the world support the Democrats. What happens when suddenly Pence is the nominee, or in 2024? How much weight do we put in seemingly good advice from temporary allies? How much trust is there? Itís going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Reply to this post

Response to Renew Deal (Reply #6)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 01:53 AM

9. Schmidt, Rubin, Frum, and Wilson are on record about Pence's groveling sycophancy. nt

Reply to this post

Response to greyl (Reply #9)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 01:56 AM

10. Great. Swap him out with whoever you want. Romney 2020

Who do they support?

Reply to this post

Response to Renew Deal (Reply #10)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 02:02 AM

11. That's not relevant to their commentary on current events, but

if the past is a guide, most Dems would update their opinion based on new evidence as it comes in. If Schmidt becomes a Romney guy, he'd become a political enemy. (I happen to think he might be going for a job on Buttigieg's campaign)

Reply to this post

Response to greyl (Reply #11)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 02:05 AM

12. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

Another angle is that they have been making money from left wing circles over the last couple years. Do they want to give that up? Do they find a way to stay?

This is a side story, but one Iím curious about.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 01:51 AM

7. I think you're totally off-base on Schmidt.

His rips of Trump are usually couched in very idealistic notions like History and Justice. And he's VERY good at it.

If he was throwing conservative talking points, I'd be the first to hit fast-forward. I just don't see it (on MSNBC at least).

If we're too pure to even work with the people that hate who we hate--and who we're furiously fighting against--we're going to be in a pretty small pool. :p

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 01:52 AM

8. I maintain what I wrote about Schmidt and Never Trumpers about 6 months ago:

Various Republicans, including members of the media and retiring Congresspersons, have been critical of Trump. Steve Schmidt, Republican Party strategist turned TV pundit and Trump critic, has even renounced his Republican Party membership. Schmidt tweeted, "29 years and nine months ago I registered to vote and became a member of The Republican Party which was founded in 1854 to oppose slavery and stand for the dignity of human life. Today I renounce my membership in the Republican Party. It is fully the party of Trump."

Now, let me preface what I'm about to write by saying the more people that recognize the horrors of the Trump Administration the better. But let's be clear about a few things. Trump and his base of support is a monster of the Republican Party's making, a monster who was 50 years in the making. The Southern Strategy and racist dog whistling has been modus operandi for the GOP for longer than Steve Schmidt has been alive. Schmidt turned eighteen as Ronald Reagan's administration was coming to an end. I imagine Reagan inspired Schmidt to register as a Republican. Reagan, the man who basically kicked off his 1980 presidential campaign by giving a speech about "states' rights" less than ten miles from Philadelphia, MS, where three civil rights workers were murdered. Every other Republican presidential candidate, from Nixon to Bush to McCain to Romney, has also engaged in dog whistling.

In addition, the Republican Party has engaged in race-based gerrymandering and race-based voter suppression. The Republican Party has also fomented and exploited sexism, misogyny, xenophobia, jingoism and hatred of LGBTQ persons. The Republican Party has undermined trust in government by infusing government with incompetence and corruption. The Republican Party has also fostered the "liberal media" myth, which has contributed to a highly irresponsible infotainment industry that promotes false equivalencies and seems unwilling to label facts as facts and lies as lies (out, I suppose, of some twisted sense of what constitutes fairness or balance).

All of the above made the rise of Trump or someone like him almost inevitable. So, all I can suggest to Republicans who are critical of Trump is that you keep scrubbing those hands. The blood won't come out easily, but what choice do you have but to keep scrubbing?

Let me make one more point before closing. Unless one is genuinely ignorant of history, it is utterly disingenuous to suggest that the Republican Party of today (or pre-Trump) is anything like the Republican Party that was started by anti-slavery Whigs. Nor is today's GOP the "party of Lincoln," as some like to claim (Lincoln, by the way, was no abolitionist). Mr. Schmidt, the pre-Trump Republican Party is no more the Republican Party of 1854 than today's Democratic Party is the Democratic Party of pre-1964 Strom Thurmond.

Why call out Republicans who are critical of Trump, one might ask. The reason is simple. Republicans need to take ownership. We need to be clear about who Republicans have been for half a century now. All persons of conscience must guard against this notion that all will be well or "normal" if we simply rid this nation of Donald J. Trump. All is not well. Republicans have very deliberately created a monster, which was born before Trump moved into the White House and will undoubtedly survive long after Trump is gone. Own it, Republicans. Own it.

Lastly, to all those persons of conscience, vote for Democrats in November. The party may not be perfect, but it's the only thing standing in the way of authoritarianism, the only thing standing in the way of fascism. If you've never voted before, 2018 would be a good time to start. Your Social Security, your health insurance or your child's health insurance, and your very life may depend on it. Please vote.

Reply to this post

Response to Garrett78 (Reply #8)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 02:59 AM

15. Absolutely!

Anybody who kept their rethug card in their wallet throughout Gingrich's BS in the 1990s and Bush's Iraq invasion/Katrina clusterfuck in the 2000s needs to do more than denounce MF45. They have a hell of a lot of explaining to do.

Reply to this post

Response to Leith (Reply #15)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 05:07 AM

22. Or during the Reagan years. Or the Nixon years.

It's dangerous to let people get away with promoting this notion that the pre-Trump GOP was just fine. Because it wasn't, and the post-Trump GOP won't be either.

Reply to this post

Response to Garrett78 (Reply #22)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 05:55 AM

26. Those who didn't speak out especially against Reagan

I have absolutely no use for, will not listen to what they say and will never trust them!

Reply to this post

Response to Raine (Reply #26)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 01:55 PM

36. And I get the impression Never Trumpers worship at the altar of Saint Ronnie.

Never Trumpers are in denial regarding their complicity in making Trump possible.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 02:11 AM

13. I like Steve Schmidt

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 03:35 AM

16. I don't trust Steve Schmidt.

Frankly I don't completely trust ANY of 'em. ANY of them who were part of the GOP until trump. Oh, okay, so trump comes along and just suddenly you're either backing away, flat-out renouncing your former birds-of-a-feather, going independent, or still identifying with party but it's just that you're among the "it's very troubling" gang.

I believe in deathbed conversions. I believe that souls can be saved. But for this bunch, Schmidt, Rick Wilson, Rick Tyler, Elise Jordan, John Podhoretz, Jonathan Allen, Jennifer Rubin, and David Frum, among others.

They still embrace the basic Republican (or is that republi-CON) belief systems that mostly can't be bothered on what works for the greater good. They still trust the fairy stories about how we should let the rich be rich, and just you wait! They'll share! They'll allow their lavish wealth to "trickle down" onto the rest of us, and thus we get a piece of the pie, too. Never mind that you can measure the width of that piece of pie in microns. You'll see!

Yeah, we've seen plenty over several decades of news cycles. The rich don't share. They keep it. They use it to secure their wealth so it will grow - and merely fatten their pockets. They want and demand more. In exchange they offer pie in the sky. And most people have no hope of reaching that high up to grab even a few crumbs, even though it sounds wonderful, tasty, desirable, and available.

It's nice some of these folks actually do see the light. For now. But I suspect that's because trump has taken them WAY too far to the extreme, WAY more than they can tolerate or justify. They still believe in all the selfish greedy principles of CONservatism, it's just that trump is too much even for them to stomach. I don't even completely trust Justin Amash.

The proof of whether these folks have really and truly see the light won't come til after trump is gone. Will they really have seen the error of their ways, and adopt a different and more liberal, tolerant, inclusive and less judgmental or religious extremist world-view? Have they really had a change of heart? Or are they just waiting til the coast is clear?

My guard is up, and will probably stay on alert status for a LOOOOONNNNNNG time. It'll be awhile before I'm personally convinced the coast is clear.

Reply to this post

Response to calimary (Reply #16)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 05:57 AM

27. Totally agree. nt

Reply to this post

Response to calimary (Reply #16)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 06:15 AM

29. Thread winner.

I'm old with a long and good memory.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 03:38 AM

17. To all who responded

I do enjoy hearing these Never Trumpersí points-of-view, and I do especially like Steve Schmidt. I just wanted to remind progressives that these pundits are still very conservative and cautious and advocating for a more centrist Democratic candidate, as are all persons wishing to maintain the status quo.

I personally think that is, most likely, a losing strategy at this most peculiar moment in American history.

Reply to this post

Response to Fragment (Reply #17)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 03:39 AM

18. Reminder appreciated by those who forgot. nt

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 05:19 AM

23. We know he's a conservative, but he speaks the truth about Trump, and Gabbard. He, and other never

trumpers are doing a fantastic job taking the fight to Trump and the Republicans. It's purity politics to turn away that help.

As for your "All conservatives seek to motivate from fear, rather than hope." isn't that just what you're trying to do to us about Schmidt ? ?

Reply to this post

Response to OnDoutside (Reply #23)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 05:29 AM

24. No. Just a reminder that a scorpion will always be a scorpion.

Reply to this post

Response to Fragment (Reply #24)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 06:35 AM

31. He demonstrated that with his ill-conceived, though well paid foray with Shulz. That doesn't mean

you automatically shut him out, even when he's hitting Trump.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 05:41 AM

25. I always keep in mind former Republicans are basically just anti-Trump

they're not Democrats . Once Trump is out of the picture they'll all stampede to jump back onboard with the Republican party.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 06:07 AM

28. I value honesty over ideology

Painter, Schmidt, Wallace, Warren, all of them

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 06:19 AM

30. Bingo!

Hope always beats Nope!

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 07:40 AM

32. When will the Nicolle Wallace bashing threads begin?

I have no problem with people bashing Trump. Nicolle Wallace has the best show on cable news and she used to push the Bush Doctrine.
We bash people at our own peril. The narrative is so important especially in times of impeachment. People like Schmidt, Wilson, Wallace keep the narrative that pushes for impeachment. Maybe people are happier with cable news people like Steve Kornacki, not me.

I will watch Schmidt, Wilson, and Wallace any day of the week, and you know what, so do millions of other people.

I have a question for Schmidt, Wilson, and Wallace bashers, do you think that these people are driving voters to support Democrats or Republicans? If you can't tell me that these people are driving voters to the Republican party then I don't want to listen to your criticism.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 07:52 AM

33. the never trumpers allowed that abomination to hijack their party

so now they want to hijack ours? no thanks.

if they knew how to defeat the trumpists why don't we have pres cruz or pres jeb!

Reply to this post

Response to rampartc (Reply #33)

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 08:59 AM

35. No one is saying we should vote for them,

although I would vote for Nicolle Wallace. The narrative is so important during this time of impeachment we need every voice we can get to push for impeachment, including Steve Schmidt. Cable news networks are not liberal, there are few cable news anchors who actually lean left.

What are these people saying that offends you?

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 21, 2019, 08:31 AM

34. Any Republican (former or otherwise) who disavows Trump is welcome in the fight to save democracy.

It doesnít mean that you have to be wedded to anti-Trump Republicans or conservatives. It doesnít mean you have to be buddy-buddy with them after Trump is tossed out.

The contributions of Schmidt, Frum, Rubin, Boot, Wilson, Jolly, et al are *invaluable* in the battle against Trump and MAGAtsó for the very reason that they are (or have been) Republicans. Their voices are rational, and the fact that some of these pundits have already left the Republican Partyó Schmidt, Jolly and Boot have for certainó is of enormous strategic value, and their convictions have placed them squarely at risk for alt-right harassment, stalking, or worse.

To survive this insane existential battle that seriously threatens to snuff out democracy, anyone willing to speak out and act against 45 is welcome. Purity is a losing gambit. Remember that the United States couldnít have defeated Hitler without Stalinís Soviet Union.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread