HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Enjoying your meal while ...

Mon Nov 25, 2019, 10:51 AM

Enjoying your meal while racists rant

Sasha Cohen says Zuck is like a restaruant owner who refuses to remove the Nazi who is spewing death threats to minority customers in his place of business:

"The First Amendment says that “Congress shall make no law” abridging freedom of speech, but this does not apply to private businesses. If a neo-Nazi comes goose-stepping into a restaurant and starts threatening other customers and saying he wants to kill Jews, would the restaurant owner be required to serve him an elegant eight-course meal? Of course not. The restaurant owner has every legal right, and, indeed, a moral obligation, to kick the Nazi out. So do Internet companies."

So I ask, if a Nazi starts spewing death threats to minorities in a popular restaurant whilst you're enjoying your lunch and the owner adamantly refuses to do anything about it: Do you continue enjoying your meal? Or do you get up and leave?

Read Cohen's full editorial here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/11/25/silicon-six-spread-propaganda-its-time-regulate-social-media-sites/

7 replies, 976 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Enjoying your meal while racists rant (Original post)
scrabblequeen40 Nov 25 OP
Maraya1969 Nov 25 #1
hlthe2b Nov 25 #2
Hermit-The-Prog Nov 25 #3
CaptYossarian Nov 25 #4
Initech Nov 25 #5
scrabblequeen40 Nov 25 #6
Initech Nov 25 #7

Response to scrabblequeen40 (Original post)

Mon Nov 25, 2019, 11:02 AM

1. Paywall.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to scrabblequeen40 (Original post)

Mon Nov 25, 2019, 11:03 AM

2. If there were enough sympathetic customers around, I'd either try to get them to join in

to force the owner to act, or surround the targeted family and let the racist know we weren't going to allow it to continue. If alone in wanting to take action, I'd loudly apologize to the targeted family, offer to walk them out if they were ready and give the owner a piece of my mind and then leave.

Reply to this post

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 25, 2019, 11:11 AM

3. sounds like a plan and what recent posts about leaving facebook are about

Reply to this post

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 25, 2019, 11:14 AM

4. An old fashioned Letter to the Editor would add a nice touch.

I still don't go to restaurants that held Tea Party gatherings back in the early 2010s. They're dead to me.

I also avoid Denny's, Cracker Barrel, Chick-Fil-A, and Pizza Ranch. And Papa John can go screw himself.

Reply to this post

Response to CaptYossarian (Reply #4)

Mon Nov 25, 2019, 11:32 AM

5. Add Buffalo Wild Wings to that list.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/04/us/buffalo-wild-wings-employees-fired/index.html

Of course if I were in that position, I would tell the racist POS to go eat shit, but again that's why I'm not in customer service.

Reply to this post

Response to Initech (Reply #5)

Mon Nov 25, 2019, 12:48 PM

6. I'd call the police for harassment

The restaurant's employees were probably coached to avoid that jackass instead of confronting him. They should have called the police. Problem solved.

Reply to this post

Response to scrabblequeen40 (Reply #6)

Mon Nov 25, 2019, 12:56 PM

7. I would go to the manager, then franchise owner, then corporate before getting police involved.

They have ways of dealing with situations like this I'm sure of it. I think getting police involved would make the situation worse and waste everybody's time.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread