HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » DU lawyers - please weigh...

Fri Dec 13, 2019, 06:34 PM

DU lawyers - please weigh in on the Supreme Court granting cert today in Trump's financial records c

I think folks here could benefit from your analysis and perspective.

4 replies, 886 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply DU lawyers - please weigh in on the Supreme Court granting cert today in Trump's financial records c (Original post)
StarfishSaver Dec 2019 OP
jberryhill Dec 2019 #1
dweller Dec 2019 #4
The Velveteen Ocelot Dec 2019 #2
hlthe2b Dec 2019 #3

Response to StarfishSaver (Original post)

Fri Dec 13, 2019, 06:44 PM

1. There's not a whole lot to say

Presumably they also extended the stay, but I'm expecting that there will be a motion to expedite.

https://politics.theonion.com/supreme-court-rules-supreme-court-rules-1819564161

Supreme Court Rules Supreme Court Rules

WASHINGTON, DCIn a landmark decision Monday, the United States Supreme Court ruled 8-1 that it rules.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jberryhill (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 13, 2019, 06:50 PM

4. so, who was the unruly one ?

✌🏼

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 13, 2019, 06:48 PM

2. Considering that there are three cases that raise important separation of powers issues,

it makes sense that they'd hear them to resolve the question. The law cited by the lower court decisions in favor of releasing the records is very strong, so it would take some advanced mental gymnastics to rule otherwise - that is, to accept the premise that a president can't be investigated in any way - so I don't think they'll hand Trump a victory, but whether they will limit their decision in some way remains to be seen. They'd have to overrule or drastically modify the unanimous decision (and that's important) in U.S. v. Nixon to get where Trump wants to go, and I do not see even Gorsuch or Kavanaugh going that far.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 13, 2019, 06:49 PM

3. Steve Vladech (I think he's in line with what Tribe & Katyal predicted earlier)

Its really important not to read too much into the fact that #SCOTUS is taking these cases. Historically, these are cases the Justices feel compelled to take up out of deference to the presidency even when they ultimately rule against the President (see Nixon; Clinton v. Jones).

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread