HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Isoko Mochizuki, the 'tro...

Fri Dec 27, 2019, 09:56 AM

Isoko Mochizuki, the 'troublesome' thorn in Shinzo Abe's side

“Even Abe’s friends in the media can’t ignore this,” says Isoko Mochizuki over lunch in between interviews and chasing down the day’s most important political story – a scandal involving accusations that Japan’s prime minister, Shinzo Abe, used a taxpayer-funded cherry blossom viewing party to reward political supporters. “I think the prime minister’s office is quite concerned.”

For Mochizuki, a reporter on a left-leaning newspaper covering a conservative government likely to remain in power for some time, sakura-gate is her latest opportunity to make life uncomfortable for Abe and his colleagues.

snip

But it is in the sombre setting of government briefing rooms where Mochizuki has arguably had the greatest impact on Japan’s staid political reporting culture.

When she started asking difficult questions about the environmental impact of a US marine corps base under construction in Henoko village, Okinawa, the government responded by attempting to frustrate her reporting. In a letter to the cabinet office press club – a body of accredited journalists assigned to report on the office’s activities – it called for “restrictions” on questions by a certain reporter, whom it accused of spreading “misinformation” about the potential damage landfill work could inflict on the marine environment.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/27/isoko-mochizuki-the-troublesome-thorn-in-shinzo-abes-side

4 replies, 456 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Isoko Mochizuki, the 'troublesome' thorn in Shinzo Abe's side (Original post)
rpannier Dec 2019 OP
madaboutharry Dec 2019 #1
marble falls Dec 2019 #3
Act_of_Reparation Dec 2019 #2
UTUSN Dec 2019 #4

Response to rpannier (Original post)

Fri Dec 27, 2019, 10:19 AM

1. "A Cherry Blossom viewing party...."

Sakura-gate. How utterly poetic.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to madaboutharry (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 27, 2019, 10:56 AM

3. I wish this was the sort of scandal we had here.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 27, 2019, 10:26 AM

2. The LDP has been in almost continuous power since 1955.

This sort of thing is fairly commonplace, if I understand correctly.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 27, 2019, 02:15 PM

4. Who knew any SHITLER asskisser might have ethical lapses?!1

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread