HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Is anyone else feeling ap...

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 02:39 PM

Is anyone else feeling apprehension about the coming New Year?

For some reason, probably for many reasons, I'm just dreading 2020. First, it just sounds apocalyptic, like some far off future after "the bomb". That probably comes from being born in 1951.

But I'm terribly worried about what will happen both if Trump is convicted and removed, and if he is not. I think either way we could all wind up in a terrible mess...retribution and violence from his nutjob supporters if he is removed, and he'll be totally out of control and out for revenge if he is not.

The environment continues to crash at an ever accelerating rate. The insects are dying off, the birds are dying off, every summer is worse than the previous one, nothing seems to be done to check this downward spiral.

My country is seemingly hopelessly divided, and disgraced on the world stage, humiliated by our adversaries, and probably at the weakest point geopolitically since the 1930s.

The economy seems like a house of cards, running faster and faster on ever thinner fumes. Propped up by market manipulation and deficit Treasury spending. Half the country is living meal to meal. When that egg finally splats, it's going to get messy.

Lastly, what if by some combination of luck and thievery, Trump is re-elected. It will make 2019 seem like a walk in the park.

I'm worried. Really worried like I haven't been since the Cuban Missile Crisis, when we had actual leadership.

Anybody out there feeling the same?

24 replies, 2493 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 24 replies Author Time Post
Reply Is anyone else feeling apprehension about the coming New Year? (Original post)
CanonRay Dec 2019 OP
FarPoint Dec 2019 #1
nancy1942 Dec 2019 #2
Girard442 Dec 2019 #3
bdamomma Dec 2019 #7
Initech Dec 2019 #4
bdamomma Dec 2019 #5
CrispyQ Dec 2019 #6
CanonRay Dec 2019 #8
bdamomma Dec 2019 #9
CanonRay Dec 2019 #10
smirkymonkey Dec 2019 #11
Name removed Dec 2019 #12
yellowdogintexas Dec 2019 #13
Boomerproud Dec 2019 #14
CanonRay Dec 2019 #16
empedocles Dec 2019 #15
marlakay Dec 2019 #17
NCjack Dec 2019 #18
essme Dec 2019 #19
totodeinhere Dec 2019 #20
snowybirdie Dec 2019 #21
frazzled Dec 2019 #22
JustABozoOnThisBus Dec 2019 #23
Nitram Dec 2019 #24

Response to CanonRay (Original post)

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 02:44 PM

1. Well....

It certainly will not be boring... politically....Not sure who our Democratic Presidential Candidate will be.... hoping for a strong strategy type...Trump will play a savvy nonsense and outrageous approach with a hint of " I'm a victim" rhetorics.... Shaming, blaming woman and all Democratic individual, groups and issues.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 02:45 PM

2. I agree with you.

A general feeling of impending doom is what I'm feeling right now.
Not to mention the mess going on in Iraq today. Nothing like a nice little war to take our minds off the impeachment "hoax".

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 02:45 PM

3. Yup.

At this point, what's to keep Putin's goons from going after our candidates?

Reply to this post

Response to Girard442 (Reply #3)

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 02:54 PM

7. Putin that bastard

I am waiting how long it will be until his ass is invited to the WH, since this thuggish regime has no shame. And to top it off, those so called Americans/Cult 45 who will be cheering him on.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 02:46 PM

4. Wait until at least Iowa before we begin the speculation.

It won't be until at least the DNC that the shit will really hit the fan. It's the calm before the storm. We'll have a couple months of quiet, then....

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 02:51 PM

5. I think we are all having

some sort of apprehension about the upcoming year it will be more in our faces, and people like Mulvaney who say "get over it".

We have one more option and that is to vote like we never have before, we did it in 2018 switching the House so we cannot do this and remember Congressman Cummings and his words that we are better than this.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 02:52 PM

6. I'm a pessimist, so I'm totally on the same page as you.

The rich see what's coming down the pike, in spite of the denial and obstruction of the Republican party. They are all building as big a cushion as they can to soften the fall. And the fall is going to be epic. I read an article recently that said if you're under 60, you're going to see a lot of changes, and if you're under 40, you're going to see huge changes. I won the human lottery in terms of when and where I was born.

Here's something to cheer you:

It's missing the narcissist, an empty shot glass with an orange bouffant and the contents spilled beside it.

Reply to this post

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #6)

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 02:57 PM

8. Love it!

Reply to this post

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #6)

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 02:57 PM

9. I kinda of wonder

if those rich bastards will hightailed it out of country on their private jets to get away from any unrest. Or is my paranoia setting in?

Reply to this post

Response to bdamomma (Reply #9)

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 02:59 PM

10. I'm expecting a traffic jam at Teeterboro and Fort Lauderdale.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 03:02 PM

11. Honestly, yes. I want to be optimistic, but I feel like the entire world is experiencing this

right-wing momentum that does not seem like it is going to be easy to resist. History shows us that nations go through these periods about once per century and only war or major upheavals are enough to turn the tide. For some reason, I think we are going to go through a very bad time before things get better again. I really hope I am wrong.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 03:06 PM

13. My anxiety which began in 2016 has worsened continually

There are so many scenarios which could go either way and it is frightening.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 03:12 PM

14. I am very apprehensive about 2020 not just about

world/national events but I just have a feeling that something life-changing, but not at all positive is just around the corner. Sort of like feeling fate is going to do something. I can't explain the feeling.
but I've had it the last 2 days.

Reply to this post

Response to Boomerproud (Reply #14)

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 03:31 PM

16. I totally get it.

I do not look forward to spending my "golden years" in a re-education camp, watching Trump's rallies on a big screen...

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 03:30 PM

15. Politically, seems that 2020 could be much wilder than 2019.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 03:39 PM

17. I just went calendar shopping

50% off now and noticed the 2 calendars that only had one left were a mindfulness one and Thich Nhat Hanh.

And I live in conservative town in blue state. I think people want peace and zen this year.

I am so freaked I planned to go out of country 3 weeks in Oct fearing how crazy it will be.

I have a feeling of awful dread like never before. I always knew republicans would mess up government but not like this.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 03:39 PM

18. I would feel safer if I-#45 were under lock and key in Leavenworth Prison. nt

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 03:40 PM

19. Yes-- Not so much about the orange jackwit, believe it or not

I don't know why--- I think I just feel like the office of the president is gone now. We are kind of rudderless-

But, no. The economy and the weather.

I think we are heading towards a Depression that will top whatever was seen in '29. I feel like my husband and I need to get things paid off and settled as fast as possible. I know it sounds stupid, but I even feel like starting to store some food-- not like preppers, but like the Mormons do.

There was an article in the Charlotte Observer today about hummingbirds wintering in NC now. Just stuff like that. Only saw 3 or 4 daddy long legs last year.

No, this doesn't "feel good" at all to me.

I am not worried about the 1/3's imaginary "Civil War." They are not smart enough to organize a garden party, much less a war. Furthermore, they do not have the funds, nor any infrastructure. They'll be so damned busy trying to figure out "who the bad guys with other guns are," they won't get anything together. Do I worry about them walking into a public place and shooting? Yes indeed.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 03:42 PM

20. I always try to be optimistic. Chronic pessimism is a bad state of mind to be in.

Yes we have a lot of problems right now, but that's nothing new. I'm both expecting the best and hoping for the best.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 03:49 PM

21. Always been a half full kind of person

2020 is an Election Year. Impeachment Senate trial is closer. We're kicking the bastard out this year!

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 04:13 PM

22. Think ahead a bunch of years

Like this duo did in a hit song back in 1968. I think they way overestimated the time frame:

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 04:24 PM

23. Is anyone NOT feeling apprehension?

My two big dreads:
Trump gets re-elected.
RBG has to leave the court, and we get another right-wing pro-lifer sex-offender anti-immigrant justice.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 31, 2019, 04:50 PM

24. The coming year is unpredictable, and things could either get much better, or much worse, or

stay the same. Don't waste energy worrying about it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread