HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Lighthouse keeper collect...

Tue Jan 21, 2020, 10:55 PM

Lighthouse keeper collects $1M lottery prize -- after waiting 2 months to get leave

A lighthouse keeper working near Port Hardy, B.C., "couldn't believe his eyes" after receiving an email he had won $1 million in B.C.'s Lotto 6/49 draw.

Ivan Dubinsky, who started his lighthouse career more than 20 years ago, read in the email that he had successfully matched all 10 numbers in the draw on Nov. 29, 2019.

Dubinsky's day-to-day job requires him to look after the lighthouse grounds and send weather reports to aircraft and marine vessels. As a result, he buys most of his lottery tickets online.

snip

Dubinsky had to wait two months until he was able to get leave from the lighthouse to come to the BCLC's office in Vancouver to claim his prize.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/retirement-on-the-horizon-for-b-c-lighthouse-keeper-who-won-1-million-lottery-draw-1.5434091

5 replies, 734 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Lighthouse keeper collects $1M lottery prize -- after waiting 2 months to get leave (Original post)
rpannier Jan 2020 OP
irisblue Jan 2020 #1
rpannier Jan 2020 #2
mitch96 Jan 2020 #3
PA Democrat Jan 2020 #4
mitch96 Jan 2020 #5

Response to rpannier (Original post)

Tue Jan 21, 2020, 10:56 PM

1. From the article...

"Though I may still want to be a relief lighthouse keeper."

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to irisblue (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 21, 2020, 10:58 PM

2. Man loves his job

Or at the very least, understands the importance of the job and how the lack of keeper's affects safety

Reply to this post

Response to rpannier (Original post)

Tue Jan 21, 2020, 11:04 PM

3. This is interesting that they still have people in lighthouses in BC

I just saw a series on PBS about the Irish lighthouses.. All the lighthouses in Ireland are now automated and just have service personel check in to see to repairs and functionality..
Great program if you get to see it... No lottery winners over there...
m

Reply to this post

Response to mitch96 (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 21, 2020, 11:28 PM

4. I thought the same thing. BTW, I watched that documentary series as well.

It was fascinating and I found the interviews of some of the former lighthouse keepers especially interesting.

Reply to this post

Response to PA Democrat (Reply #4)

Wed Jan 22, 2020, 08:32 AM

5. Some lighhouses in Ireland have been turned into hotels

When I was in Westport the light house at the mouth of Clew Bay on Claire Island is now a hotel.
Next time I'm "over that way" I'd like to check it out... Love the west coast of Ireland.
https://www.clareislandlighthouse.com/
m

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread