HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Women Mushers Sweep Monta...

Tue Feb 11, 2020, 11:07 AM

Women Mushers Sweep Montana's Race To The Sky.

Jessie Royer of Seeley Lake won the 300-mile Montana Race to the Sky Monday night, building on her legacy as the musher with the most wins in the annual sled dog race.

Royer started her winning career in the Race to the Sky in 1994 at age 17 and continued with wins in 2015, 2016 and 2018. She still holds the record for youngest champion from her 1994 win. Seven of the last eight champions were also women.

Josi Thyr, a 26-year-old musher living in the Seeley Lake area, finished the 100-mile run of the Montana Race to the Sky sled dog race early Sunday, while her friend and mentor Jessie Royer threatened to turn the 300-mile race into a runaway.

7 replies, 467 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Women Mushers Sweep Montana's Race To The Sky. (Original post)
MontanaMama Feb 2020 OP
2golddogs Feb 2020 #1
MontanaMama Feb 2020 #2
2golddogs Feb 2020 #3
MontanaMama Feb 2020 #4
2golddogs Feb 2020 #5
MontanaMama Feb 2020 #6
2golddogs Feb 2020 #7

Response to MontanaMama (Original post)

Tue Feb 11, 2020, 12:07 PM

1. Mushers

Always great to check out who’s running well leading up to the Iditarod. I think I had Jessie in last year’s office pool, perhaps I should pick her for 2020!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to 2golddogs (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 11, 2020, 02:48 PM

2. My money is on Jessie.

You have an Iditarod office pool? How fun!!!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 11, 2020, 03:23 PM

3. Mushers

Thank you, it is fun...a great little winter pick me up. There’s draft day, medals, and red lantern award. I hang a map and move everyone’s mushers just like I used to do with elementary students. Lol, it’s hilarious to see an office full of adults go 100% silent because everyone is hot and heavy on researching mushers. Also funny listening to a bunch of middle-aged women in rural NJ seriously debating the merits of their favorite mushers and finer points of race strategy!😄

Reply to this post

Response to 2golddogs (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 11, 2020, 03:28 PM

4. If you don't mind sharing...

How in the world did your interest...and that of your co-workers begin? This is fascinating to me.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 11, 2020, 09:00 PM

5. Mushers

Lol, don’t mind at all. I’ve been crazy for all things Alaska for many years. Once the internet became a thing in schools I began using the Iditarod as a theme unit across most subjects for my elementary school students. They loved it.
These days I have a little retirement job as a secretary in a small township office. We’re all friends here and we do lots of things to make the office fun. There’s a little Jack Skellington doll a couple of us keep moving around and hiding from each other, silly things like that, just to keep everything cheerful and light.

Reply to this post

Response to 2golddogs (Reply #5)

Tue Feb 11, 2020, 09:46 PM

6. I love this so much.

Thank you for telling me!! I’d be gunning for that little Jack Skellington doll. He’s a favorite of mine. Cheers 2golddogs! I will be following the Iditarod with you and your crew.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 11, 2020, 10:41 PM

7. Mushers

I suspect you’d fit in quite well! Cheers to a great race and healthy dogs!!🍻

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread