HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Anybody else hoping that ...

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 10:54 PM

Anybody else hoping that HIV treatments will prove effective against COVID 19?

Besides the fact that I would really welcome a cure or preventative, I can't wait to tell all the holy rollers that coronavirus is God's punishment on heterosexuals.

6 replies, 704 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Anybody else hoping that HIV treatments will prove effective against COVID 19? (Original post)
Goodheart Mar 2020 OP
applegrove Mar 2020 #1
RockRaven Mar 2020 #2
applegrove Mar 2020 #3
Goodheart Mar 2020 #5
AJT Mar 2020 #4
customerserviceguy Mar 2020 #6

Response to Goodheart (Original post)

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 10:56 PM

1. I know. That is our best hope that they come up with a treatment that can keep people from having

to be in hospital for a month when they have a bad case of it. Imagine if it worked. That would be such a relief. There was a lab working on a sars vaccine after sars but they could not get backing. That is too bad as sars is also a coronavirus and it would be interesting if it would have worked too.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 11:01 PM

2. Well, that prospect is potentially concerning given that it may disrupt drug availability to

people with HIV. I doubt pharma companies can increase 10- or 100- fold (or whatever the number) their production in a matter of a few months. But maybe they can, I don't know either way, I'm just not taking it for granted.

So I cannot claim I hope for it, because I have no idea which route will lead to more angst, anxiety, poverty, suffering or death.

In theory, having a treatment which reduces disease severity, virulence, etc would be very welcome. In practice, it would be nice if it did not cause much collateral damage.

Reply to this post

Response to RockRaven (Reply #2)

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 11:02 PM

3. Yes. A treatment that could be easily ramped up and not affect the supply

for current users would be great.

Reply to this post

Response to RockRaven (Reply #2)

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 11:04 PM

5. Didn't think of that.

In any case, I think it would be hilarious if current HIV patients have an immunity the rest of us lack. (Morbid, true, but funny).

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 11:03 PM

4. It would be great if that turns out to work. Its production can be easily ramped up.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 11:30 PM

6. I'd like to hope

that with all of the time spent figuring out HIV, that scientists would have learned a LOT more about viruses and how to deal with them. Before Louis Pasteur, nobody knew squat about bacteria.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread